NHL Has Amnesty Buyouts On the Table, Would Bryzgalov Be Bought Out?

Irishjim

According to Larry Brooks, the NHL has amnesty buyouts on the table for the CBA <nobr>negotiations</nobr>between them and the NHLPA. That means NHL teams can buyout one contract that wouldn’t have a cap hit. Many Flyers fans have taken to Twitter to tweet their opinions about how the Flyers should buyout Flyers goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov if this happens.

Bryzgalov would be paid $6.5 <nobr>million</nobr> this season and have a cap hit of $5.6 million. Bryz finished the 2011-12 NHL Regular Season with a record of 33-16-7, six shutouts, a save percentage of .909, and a goals against average of 2.48, respectable numbers for an NHL goaltender. Those stats aren't quite worth the $5.6 million cap hit that goes along with it though.

Everyone knew Bryzgalov was overpaid from when the deal was signed though, Holmgren needed to make the necessary deal to bring a competent goalie to Philadelphia and he was the best goalie in a long time. Most wins in a season since 2002-2003, most shutouts since 2002-2003, second best save percantage by a goalie with at least 41 games since 2008-2009, and best goals against average since 2002-2003. Bryz also took home two NHL Player of the Week <nobr>Awards</nobr> and one NHL Player of the Month Award.

Bryzgalov performed quite well for a first season in a new city, new system, a blood thirsty fanbase, a crippled and Pronger less defense, and the distractions of HBO. After a rough Eastern Conference Quarterfinals against Pittsburgh, Bryz was arguably one of the few bright sports in the Semifinals against New Jersey minus a puck handling gaffe in the last game of the Flyers' season.

Give Bryz another chance this season and if he fails badly Flyers should cut him lose, pending there's amnesty buyouts in the new CBA and find another goalie next offseason.

Dustin Leed sums up the number one reason why Bryzgalov shouldn't be bought out this season in this tweet:

Oh, so you think the #Flyers would potentially buy out Ilya Bryzgalov if there's an amnesty clause.. And leave Michael Leighton the starter?

— Dustin Leed (@D_LEED)
November 8, 2012

According to Larry Brooks, the NHL has amnesty buyouts on the table for the CBA <nobr>negotiations</nobr>between them and the NHLPA. That means NHL teams can buyout one contract that wouldn’t have a cap hit. Many Flyers fans have taken to Twitter to tweet their opinions about how the Flyers should buyout Flyers goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov if this happens.

Bryzgalov would be paid $6.5 <nobr>million</nobr> this season and have a cap hit of $5.6 million. Bryz finished the 2011-12 NHL Regular Season with a record of 33-16-7, six shutouts, a save percentage of .909, and a goals against average of 2.48, respectable numbers for an NHL goaltender. Those stats aren't quite worth the $5.6 million cap hit that goes along with it though.

Everyone knew Bryzgalov was overpaid from when the deal was signed though, Holmgren needed to make the necessary deal to bring a competent goalie to Philadelphia and he was the best goalie in a long time. Most wins in a season since 2002-2003, most shutouts since 2002-2003, second best save percantage by a goalie with at least 41 games since 2008-2009, and best goals against average since 2002-2003. Bryz also took home two NHL Player of the Week <nobr>Awards</nobr> and one NHL Player of the Month Award.

Bryzgalov performed quite well for a first season in a new city, new system, a blood thirsty fanbase, a crippled and Pronger less defense, and the distractions of HBO. After a rough Eastern Conference Quarterfinals against Pittsburgh, Bryz was arguably one of the few bright sports in the Semifinals against New Jersey minus a puck handling gaffe in the last game of the Flyers' season.

Give Bryz another chance this season and if he fails badly Flyers should cut him lose, pending there's amnesty buyouts in the new CBA and find another goalie next offseason.

Dustin Leed sums up the number one reason why Bryzgalov shouldn't be bought out this season in this tweet:

Oh, so you think the #Flyers would potentially buy out Ilya Bryzgalov if there's an amnesty clause.. And leave Michael Leighton the starter?

— Dustin Leed (@D_LEED)
November 8, 2012

Leighton as a starter is enough to make any grown man weep.

I have to say buy out Pronger. He has zero value to the team at this point. Bryzgalov may have a bad season, or he may not, but Pronger is just wasted cash. In addition, I concur with @brelic having Michael Leighton is enough to all but want to keep Ilya on the roster.....

If Philly buys out Bryzgalov, Snider becomes the laughingstock of the NHL executive.

If Philly keeps Bryzgalov, Snider continues to be the laughingstock of the NHL executive. (OK him and Burke)

Now which is the lesser of two evils? If they buy him out they better find something better than Leighton. Hovinen doesn't look ready...our 2nd round pick is sporting a below average 3.03/.871 GAA/Save % in college. Can't see Snider handing that out after one season. If the guy could find any sort of consistency he could be a decent goalie. Overpaid, over-termed, but decent.

while i agree pronger is a waste of cash at this point. snider has $100 bills rolled as toilet tissue at his house. they can bury prongers cap hit on LTIR. I just don't know how many more games i can watch when its 6 minutes into the game and the other team has 3 goals on 4 shots. it sucks either way

@Irishjim While I agree on the LTIR, if the cap should drop to the 50mm range for the 2013-14 season, Pronger's post season cap hit is going to hurt the Flyers ability to ink free agents.

Also, I fear that they buy Bryzgalov out only to trade for Luongo.

• Like 1

@Irishjim While I agree on the LTIR, if the cap should drop to the 50mm range for the 2013-14 season, Pronger's post season cap hit is going to hurt the Flyers ability to ink free agents.

i forgot about his salary on the books between seasons. as far as trading for luongo, thats like trading cow pattys for dog ****

How Bout 2 buyouts (I like the sound of that)

• Like 1

As much as I would like to see Bryz bought out I think we are stuck with him. I can't see Snider forking over that much money for so little in return. If anything buying out Pronger could be a good PR move. They can celebrate him as this tough player and they are easing him into retirement whereas buying out Bryz is publicly eating ALOT of crow.

I have to say buy out Pronger. He has zero value to the team at this point. Bryzgalov may have a bad season, or he may not, but Pronger is just wasted cash. In addition, I concur with @brelic having Michael Leighton is enough to all but want to keep Ilya on the roster.....

But pronger is not a cap hit as long as he is LTIR.

Actually, you would have to think that Vancouver would use their amnesty buyout on luongo. So, doesn't that basically mean that both would be UFA's and could sign with any team? I would have no qualms about Luongo, just not at 5.33 million until the year 2022.

But pronger is not a cap hit as long as he is LTIR.

During the season, yes. But I do believe in the off season his money will be back on the cap preventing the Flyers from spending to the cap. To me thats the main issue with LTIRing Pronger for the remained of his deal.

PS. Nice to see a lot of old Philly.com usernames. After a few posters (coughKuatocough) I made my way over to hfboards and wasn't aware of this site till I decided to go back and take a look at Philly.com

@orangecrush8

Welcome OC. Better late than never. ;)

Yes most of silly.com and quite a few other good members have made this a great place to express our hockey views.

We wondered also what happened to you as we put out several invitations. You now have full membership as not needing any more posts needing approval.

During the season, yes. But I do believe in the off season his money will be back on the cap preventing the Flyers from spending to the cap. To me thats the main issue with LTIRing Pronger for the remained of his deal.

PS. Nice to see a lot of old Philly.com usernames. After a few posters (coughKuatocough) I made my way over to hfboards and wasn't aware of this site till I decided to go back and take a look at Philly.com

can't believe it took you this long welcome aboard

Under the recently expired CBA, that would be the case - LTIR doesn't exist until day 1 of the regular season. However, remember the offseason cap is also increased by 10%. Pronger's cap hit fills up over half of that. In addition, players with one way contracts regardless of where they play (AHL or NHL) count against the cap, and players on two way contracts are pro-rated using the number of games they played the season before. So while it hurts somewhat, Pronger's salary doesn't really hamstring the team in the offseason. Of course, who knows what the provisions will be for LTIR in the new CBA.

According to Larry Brooks, the NHL has amnesty buyouts on the table for the CBA negotiationsbetween them and the NHLPA. That means NHL teams can buyout one contract that wouldn’t have a cap hit. Many Flyers fans have taken to Twitter to tweet their opinions about how the Flyers should buyout Flyers goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov if this happens. Bryzgalov would be paid $6.5 million this season and have a cap hit of $5.6 million. Bryz finished the 2011-12 NHL Regular Season with a record of 33-16-7, six shutouts, a save percentage of .909, and a goals against average of 2.48, respectable numbers for an NHL goaltender. Those stats aren't quite worth the $5.6 million cap hit that goes along with it though. Everyone knew Bryzgalov was overpaid from when the deal was signed though, Holmgren needed to make the necessary deal to bring a competent goalie to Philadelphia and he was the best goalie in a long time. Most wins in a season since 2002-2003, most shutouts since 2002-2003, second best save percantage by a goalie with at least 41 games since 2008-2009, and best goals against average since 2002-2003. Bryz also took home two NHL Player of the Week Awards and one NHL Player of the Month Award. Bryzgalov performed quite well for a first season in a new city, new system, a blood thirsty fanbase, a crippled and Pronger less defense, and the distractions of HBO. After a rough Eastern Conference Quarterfinals against Pittsburgh, Bryz was arguably one of the few bright sports in the Semifinals against New Jersey minus a puck handling gaffe in the last game of the Flyers' season. Give Bryz another chance this season and if he fails badly Flyers should cut him lose, pending there's amnesty buyouts in the new CBA and find another goalie next offseason. Dustin Leed sums up the number one reason why Bryzgalov shouldn't be bought out this season in this tweet: Oh, so you think the #Flyers would potentially buy out Ilya Bryzgalov if there's an amnesty clause.. And leave Michael Leighton the starter?

— Dustin Leed (@D_LEED)

YES! YES! YES! Am i making myself CLEAR!!!!!! YES!

I highly doubt the Flyers will buy out Bryzgalov (if that's even a possibility) for two reasons: 1) Snider would be publicly admitting failure, that hiring Bryzgalov was a huge mistake, and 2) it would leave Goat Leighton as the starter. And then of course there's Pronger's tiny little contract...

• Like 1