NHL Has Amnesty Buyouts On the Table, Would Bryzgalov Be Bought Out?

Irishjim

Ok after much thought, I change my stance on who should be bought out. It has to be Bryzgalov for tow major reasons.

1) The cap is going to decrease by a lot, could be nearly 20mm a year

2) Claude Giroux will need to get a raise

I think with Timmo and Shelley off the books, the brass can LTIR Pronger and have space to work a new deal for Giroux.

He's probably going to get somewhere around 7.5mm a year for 5 years (depending on contract term limits)

They're going to take Pronger if they get the chance. I know you all want Bryz gone, and I understand why, but the bosses there have ego's that are too large to admit they're wrong after only a single season. Only chance of a change in that is if he continues to suck in the NHL and somebody gets cold feet. Otherwise, you're stuck! :o

@canoli If you were Snider, would you rather admit you made a monumental error or throw away the next 8 seasons and basically make sure the team does not win while you are alive and can remember it?

Well I see what you're saying but I'm guessing - like Polaris said - Snider doesn't believe the next 8 seasons are "throwaways" after seeing Bryzgalov for 1 year. If Bryzgalov had sucked for 2 or 3 years straight then yes, I'd guess old Ed would be willing to call it a day and decide "enough is enough." But after just 1 season? Pretty tough to pull the plug - that is, if you're the guy who's reputation will be damaged by throwing in the towel on your big FA acquisition.

It certainly doesn't help Bryzgalov's case that he's sucking just as much as ever in his native country these days.

Ok, so we buyout Bryz right? That's what everyone wants. What's the plan??? Go with Leighton ? Seriously? I'm ok with buying the guy out but you gotta have a plan. Who are we gonna get? It does free up cap space that will likely be nuetralized by a salary cap reduction anyway but assuming we jettison Timo also we might have 4-5 million to play with! Ooops, forgot Giroux needs a new contract.

So, that means we are giving up major pieces from our damn near steller group of youth. OK...so...

Which pieces are you giving up for another retread from another team? A team giving up a Stanley Cup caliber goalie raises 2 serious questions. 1) that goalie isn't living up to expectations which equals another damaged goods guy everyone will complaining about is short order. 2) Or it will cost tremendous assets going the other way. Oh , hey, there's a 3rd question. 3) It won't save us any serious money (never mind a reduced salary cap). Any good goalie is already in the 4-6 million range anyway... You want Luango??? Go for it and enjoy watching Coots, Schenn and a couple of our latest draft picks playing in Vancouver.

Oh, well the canucks deserve a cup anyway and we can enjoy watching ANY goalie we get being ripped to shreds in the Philly press and fandom...

I'm ok with replacing Bryz 1 year into his contract (2 now but thats skrewed up) but there has to be a plan...

Instead of the absolute hatred for Bryz can someone walk us down the path as to a plan? I'm open to ideas...

There ya go - so there's 2 - Theodore or even Thomas - and there are plenty of other guys.

Admit that signing Bryzgalov for that length of time was a mistake; if a buyout is a possibility then do it.

What comes after is almost irrelevant because it will certainly be better than Bryzgalov - both in terms of contract / cap implications and his actual game.

Signing anyone at that length is a mistake. The owners are trying to fix that now so not even their stupid asses can do it anymore. Oppps, PA is in the way....

I hope Bryz lasts all 7-8 years he has left on his contract and stays right here driving Flyers fans up a wall, because that's what we , as a collective, deserve...

You want Luango??? Go for it and enjoy watching Coots, Schenn and a couple of our latest draft picks playing in Vancouver.

I think the cannucks buy out luongo. If the new cap is going to as low as proposed, he is an easy target because of his cap hit (same as Bryz) AND the length of his contract. Vancouver got him for peanuts (todd bertuzzi, Bryan Allen and Alex Auld), so they wouldn't really be losing anything by cutting him.

wait, maybe we can ask Khabibulin if he's still interested in a comeback...

if these Flyers end up buying out Bryzgalov only to go after Luongo - then I think we'll ALL throw up, all at once.

but ID - what do you mean "Flyers deserve" Bryzgalov and his remaining 8 years? What are you some sort of crazy masochist? NTTAWWT... :-)