Bryzgalov blasts reporters: “You’ve been writing filth about me”

Irishjim

It appears relations have soured between Ilya Bryzgalov and Russian media.<br />

The Philadelphia Inquirer passes along word of an incident between Bryzgalov — currently playing for CSKA Moscow in the KHL — and a pool of reporters, who have been (allegedly) less than genteel in their coverage of the Flyers goalie.

From the Inquirer:

After his last game, he got testy with the media. Asked about the win [a 6-2 victory over Amur Khabarovsk] Bryzgalov, according to Sportbox.ru, replied, “What do you want me to say? You’ve been writing filth about me and now you are asking for an interview?”

Bryzgalov was quoted as saying his wife and parents forbade him from doing interviews.

Slava Malamud of Sport-Express passed on this video of the incident (translated Bryz quote: “My wife forbids me to talk… My mom and dad, too. Ask them.”

Bryzgalov’s numbers with CSKA haven’t been good. He’s posted a 2-4 record with a 2.92 GAA and .892 save percentage (his save percentage doesn’t even put him in the league’s top 30.)

Poor fella.

With the way he's playing testy journalists are prolly the least of his worries. If he keeps it up, it's gonna be a visit from some big bugger named Boris with a proclivity for breaking knee caps with a club.

Why didn't we listen to Morris and Aucoin? They said in so many words, "thank god we're rid of him." And they said more than that too...obviously something there beyond personal grudges.

I think because they said it after the fact that he was here. (unless I am mistaken)

The question I have is why wasnt his EXTREMELY poor play in the playoffs vs the Red Wings a red flag about how this guy plays when the pressure gets turned up?

Edited by Poulin20

The question I have is why wasnt his EXTREMELY poor play in the playoffs vs the Red Wings a red flag about how this guy plays when the pressure gets turned up?

in fairness no one from phoenix showed up that series, and his play down the stretch to make the playoffs was good. the red flag of which you speak was rationalized easily.

I guess they could have watched tape of the guy or scouted him some , put the stop watch or in his case calendar on him when he was going post to post, payed attention to his puck handling abilities... but i also think none of that would have mattered because...

I really think the chairman ala jerry jones wanted the "top guy" and Bryz was, sadly, the top guy of an anemic free agent goalie crop.

but i also think none of that would have mattered because...

I really think the chairman ala jerry jones wanted the "top guy" and Bryz was, sadly, the top guy of an anemic free agent goalie crop.

You nailed it M - sad but true. At least it sure rings true, from everything we've heard and seen the past 18 months.

What kills me is it's almost like the decision-makers were guys who'd never even heard of hockey ... and these same clowns were the ones who were told "get us the best goaltender ASAP - money is no object" and so naturally they began with the guys who were available and went for the one who told the world he deserved to be the "highest paid goaltender in the NHL." Forget Vokoun...he was willing to negotiate a lower salary, a shorter term contract...."obviously" he was sub-standard, inferior to Mr. Top Dollar FA Bryzgalov. And "obviously" Bob would never amount to anything because as a rookie NHL goaltender who didn't speak English at all he had some bad starts toward the end of the season.

I'm sorry to keep beating this dead horse but I feel like the Flyers are doomed while Bryzgalov starts in net. And now [to add insult to injury] we got Michael fkng Leighton backing him up. And the best rookie goalie we've seen since Pelle? Exiled to Columbus Ohio. Good god did we fk things up in goal - more than usual for the Flyers, which is really saying something.