Pittsburgh Penguins - Post Expansion Era

flyercanuck

Most Valuable Retired Penguino's  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Please choose 5 players or pick your own

• Mario Lemieux (anyone who doesn't pick him is an idiot)
    • Jean Pronovost
    • Rick Kehoe
    • Paul Coffey
    • Ron "The Franchise" Francis
    • Sheds (anyone other than me who votes for him is an idiot)
    • Tom "All Universe" Barrasso
    • Kevin "Snuffy" Stevens
    • Yinzer own choice

@Puck JAGR......HASN'T.......RETIRED!!!!! I had to cut it shorter than I wanted and Murphy should be on there. Maybe I'll edit him in. Tocchet, no way. He played one full season there. Recchi? I guess. 3 seperate stints kind of dilute his contributions but he did play 6 seasons there.

Murphy was a great defenseman. Guy could do everything. Biggest weakness I would say was his physical play as he was no threat to take your head off or anything, but still played solid and wasn't afraid to use the body. I think his positional play and ability to strip the puck and go the other way eliminated a lot of need for physicality. Man could he turn the momentum around quick... loved watching him play. Would've been the jersey I'd worn if not for Stevens I think.

Too funny, @flyercanuck! I feel kinda silly right now after being all serious on my Wings entry... I guess that's what happen when a fan of the arch-rival is supposed to say something nice about the team...

Seriously, though, I was thinking if including Larry Murphy in my poll, but figured he had better years with the Pens. Great puck-moving defenseman and was around for both of their cups in the 90s. It's really a toss-up whether he's a Pen or a Wing, but I think he spent three more days with Pittsburgh than he did with Detroit, so that was the tie-breaker

@flyercanuck

My bad... I guess I need to improve my reading comprehension.

Murphy had 4 60+ point seasons with Pittsburgh, 3 over 70 points and topped out at 85. He was pretty productive as a Penguin, though not as productive as Coffey.

Didn't realize Tocchet's tenure there was so short. All I remember is that season he topped 45 goals, 100 points and 250 PIM playing with Mario.

@flyercanuck My bad... I guess I need to improve my reading comprehension. Murphy had 4 60+ point seasons with Pittsburgh, 3 over 70 points and topped out at 85. He was pretty productive as a Penguin, though not as productive as Coffey. Didn't realize Tocchet's tenure there was so short. All I remember is that season he topped 45 goals, 100 points and 250 PIM playing with Mario.

It was a real treat seeing him play all the time. Coffey and Murphy were the two best defensemen the Pens ever had in my opinion. I liked Gonchar and Letang is promising, but those two were phenomenal.

• Like 1

Larry Murphy was an excellent offensive defensemen who also had really nice on the ice awareness. He was not a great physical force on defense, but was much better than adequate. Great skater in his prime. One of the best d-men of his era IMHO. Seems like others agreed also, inducted into the HOF in 2004, a reward he certainly deserved. Loved watching that guy play.

@flyercanuck The first post I read back from my vacation was excellent. Well done.

@Polaris922 I'd like to see your flyers version. maybe @yave1964 's version of the hawks.

It would be fun, but as long as I'm on 16 - 18 hour shifts not likely to happen anytime soon. I'm barely getting here to read up.