Matt Read

Guest 34thandPearl

The poise of a veteran but the heart of a kid.

He never gives up on a play which reminds me of the was Richards *can* play. He creates his own chances and takes advantage of them when he gets them. Rookie of the first 1/4 of the season. Let's see if he can hold together for 82 games

He never gives up on a play which reminds me of the was Richards *can* play. He creates his own chances and takes advantage of them when he gets them. Rookie of the first 1/4 of the season. Let's see if he can hold together for 82 games

Not disagreeing, but aside from a "late blooming goalie", its a bit weird for me for someone who will be 26 y/o when awards are announced to get the Calder. Nonetheless, I don't disagree. Couturier is still there for me as well (though he has more games played than Read and plays less minutes).

I was the guy on the Philly Board pumping Reads tires.

I even joked that you would be comparing him to Giroux and much to my surprise the guys on the Flyers feed did exactly that tonight!

Maybe I can see into the future (though my Fantasty Team disagrees)

Edited by OzFlyer

Jeff who??

This is a semi-hijack thread post, so I apologize in advance to the OP.

We joke about Jeff who, but then out of the other side of our mouths ride JVR. I get why- mostly it is built on the expectation of continual growth beyond last year. While he has not played horribly, I think he has been more off / on and I have seen more brain cramps from him this year in a short amount of time then all last year. His brain cramps have cost.

However: I believe he was goaless after the first 17 games last year and had only 3 assists. He has played 17 games this year and has 7g / 7a. On pace for a 30 / 30 year in his 3rd season. In fact, he is 3rd on the team overall in scoring. Now if he could improve his brain cramps, play with more focus and tighten up a more defensively, people would probably be lauding him like others.

Read is awesome. I was watching the game with my dad (who is a Wings fan), and throughout the game, he kept saying "who is that #24? he is tenacious!".

And that's exactly it. On one play last night, he drove to the net, was pushed behind the net by a Coyote player, and then still reached back with his stick enough to just poke the puck loose and keep the play alive. He has great hockey sense combined with tenacity.

On one play last night, he drove to the net, was pushed behind the net by a Coyote player, and then still reached back with his stick enough to just poke the puck loose and keep the play alive

I remember that. He almost scored on that too.

I even joked that you would be comparing him to Giroux and much to my surprise the guys on the Flyers feed did exactly that tonight!

@Oz: partly this is becuase he literally looks like Giroux, same size, similar skating style (Read is not quite as fast, especially with the puck), similar #s, both RH etc etc. It's a bit uncanny actually

Edited by Podein25

Not disagreeing, but aside from a "late blooming goalie", its a bit weird for me for someone who will be 26 y/o when awards are announced to get the Calder. Nonetheless, I don't disagree. Couturier is still there for me as well (though he has more games played than Read and plays less minutes).

I agree that Couturier is going to be in the mix as well.... holyshit, you mean we're talking about 2 players... that are ON THE FLYERS? how nice is that

Read is awesome. I was watching the game with my dad (who is a Wings fan), and throughout the game, he kept saying "who is that #24? he is tenacious!".

Did your dad notice Harry Z's play as well? He didn't get a lot of minutes but I liked how he decked Raffi Torres in the deep slot and then took it all the way back to the other end for a scoring chance. I thought Rinaldo was good too. The Flyers have several rookies who are playing very well.

Did your dad notice Harry Z's play as well? He didn't get a lot of minutes but I liked how he decked Raffi Torres in the deep slot and then took it all the way back to the other end for a scoring chance. I thought Rinaldo was good too. The Flyers have several rookies who are playing very well.

Harry Z has a lot of jump and jam to his game... so while Homer was dealing draft picks like a hill-billy would deal oxycotin, he and the scouting department has done a fantastic job of finding these undrafted free agents, i went from feeling pretty meh about the future as far as our young players and prospects went to feeling like we'll be pretty solid. Read might not be an elite NHL player that the league markets around, but he's damn good, plays smart and , as other people have said, tenaciously... you need that guy on your team.

@ claude monet

some guys are just late bloomers, hell michael jordan wasn't a "child prodigy" .

i remember when i was a kid i saw some major league baseball scouts at a york county, pa adult league game... the take away from that was ,if you can play they'll find you.

The part I find hardest to believe is that Read signed with Philly. i mean look at this from his point of view...he's a lot older than most guys trying to get their foot in the door. He likely doesn't have a lot of time to make it (teams are more likely to want to look at guys in their late teens/early 20s with more "upside") So why choose a team with the Flyers depth at forward (at the time he signed) that boasted the likes of Giroux, Richards, Briere, Carter, JVR, Hartnell, Zherdev, Leino, Betts, Powe, Carcillo and Shelley? You'd think he'd pick a team like say, the Leafs or Blue Jackets who at the time had about 3 NHL calibre forwards.

Maybe the guy was just plain confident that he could beat out the middle of the pack on down? The guy plays a good all around game with speed, skill and hockey smarts. Signing him was a major coup for Holmgren. It makes up for some of those draft picks he's known to throw away. Good one homer!

I read an article reporting that when he heard that the Flyers were interested in him, he told his agent that that is where he wanted to go. Maybe post facto hype, but it appears that the kid/guy just knows hi stiff and has real MoJo.

Interesting comparison: How old was Poulin when he broke in?