Update: Giroux listed as 'day to day'; could play Wednesday

Guest Vanflyer

http://prohockeytalk...ng-and-shoving/

Giroux returns to Flyers practice, does “a little pushing and shoving”

Mike Halford Dec 18, 2011, 3:55 PM EST

Leave a comment

Finally, some good news on the Philadelphia Flyers injury front — leading scorer Claude Giroux returned to practice today.

Here’s visual evidence (you know, in case you thought I was lying) from the Flyers’ official Twitter account:

While Giroux was wearing the bright yellow “CAN’T YOU SEE YOU’RE NOT SUPPOSED TO HIT ME?!?” uniform, he was doing “a little pushing and shoving” according to Frank Seravalli of Philly.com. Sam Carchidi of the Philadelphia Inquirer also noted Giroux was skating hard; when asked for a post-practice status report Giroux responded he felt well, but how he responded tomorrow will be the key.

(Anthony SanFilippo of the Journal Register reports Giroux is technically eligible to return Wednesday against Dallas.)

So while it appears Giroux’s return is still in its infancy, today’s development has to be seen as a positive. And given how things have gone for the Flyers over the last 72 hours, they’ll take any positive they can get. They were humbled 6-0 by the Bruins on Saturday and looked in disarray following head injuries to Giroux, Chris Pronger and Sean Couturier.

We don't need Giroux right now, let him get healthy. See you in 2012. Don't rush.

even though he's practicing and it looks promising... early 2012 is probably still the likely timeframe for him to return. if there are no setbacks. let's hope, but this is a positive sign.

We don't need Giroux right now, let him get healthy. See you in 2012. Don't rush.

I don't know if I would say we don't need him, we are down to two centers on the team. I am in the camp to let him fully heal. However, it is encouraging to at least see that he was on the ice and he was skating hard.

when's the all start break again? sometime after that pls... don't need him ******* himself up in a meaningless game.... and a meaningless play could f**k him up, I mean, look at what caused this injury... yeah, let him and Timo sit out the yawnfest that is the All Star break thank you

WHOA, we have profanity censorship now? when did this kick in. I will admit when I was typing out my response I gave a moment of pause and thought maybe I should tone it down but THEN thought that it was the sensor thing that pissed everyone off and brought them here in the first place. Say it loud and say it proud. interesting.

I know I know by the way, don't need everyone pointing out that it wasn't the profanity but having simple hockey terms like shot and shift and all that getting the 'ol #### which was annoying. I was there, I remember that. But still, doesn't mean this didn't take me by surprise. In case anyone is wondering, I don't mind if this site (or any other for that matter) sensors my profanity, not like you couldn't figure out what I was saying if you weren't already in the know.

Damn depth is a beautiful thing!

I had a thread on the Philly.com board where I was attempting to battle Kuato and at one point we got into the Homer long term contracts. I argued all of the names he listed away (imho) with exception to Pronger and Bryz.

I might start a separate thread on that topic, but the point I am trying to get at is that Holmgren has done a very good job of late of getting talent in obscure places. He also has done well at filling in role players (Laperriere / Talbot).

Just so I go on record- Holmstrom is a stop gap. Nothing more and nothing less. But when you have the versatility of a Read (how any GM's are kicking themselves over that?) and a Briere that can play both wing and center, it goes a long way.

I'm of the mind set to get him out there as soon as he is cleared and *healthy*. The longer he is out, the more rusty he gets. Don't let him get rusty. That will also get the line combinations back to what they were prior to his injury.

I'm of the mind set to get him out there as soon as he is cleared and *healthy*.

Maybe you had sarcasm intended, if not than this is the rub. Look at Crosby- out again. That said (and every individual is different) I would like to think that a "seemingly" grazing knee to the head is far less severe than Crosby getting clocked twice in two games or Pronger getting a brutal stick to the orbital bone and then another head first check into the boards.

One thing is for sure: times have changed. The entire management recognizes the greatness of Giroux and will take EVERY precaution to make sure he is 100%.

WHOA, we have profanity censorship now? when did this kick in. I will admit when I was typing out my response I gave a moment of pause and thought maybe I should tone it down but THEN thought that it was the sensor thing that pissed everyone off and brought them here in the first place. Say it loud and say it proud. interesting.

just thought I'd "second" that - I don't really mind of course, it's no big deal. But it is a bit of a downer. If it's because "kids may be reading this board" believe me they won't be fazed one bit. I live with a high school teacher and she tells me all the time how "advanced" the kids are in her school - profanity is the least of their concerns. Granted she teaches in the South Bronx but it's like that everywhere.

Anyway - still the best site by far for Flyers talk imo and to Digi-man I say - Run it however you want, I'm just happy to be a part of it. You (and anyone else who deserves the credit) are doing an excellent job. My sincere thanks for making it happen!

re: Giroux - hell yes we need him! Is he really going to sit out the Winter Classic? I bet he will play if he's symptom-free this week, even if ideally he'd sit for another month or so. I guess he really did suffer a concussion from that stupid hit - hard as that is to believe - so who knows how long he should *really* sit...? But the WC is a pretty huge deal for the NHL - I can't believe he'd miss it.

howardeskin Howard Eskin

I'm told claude giroux has a great chance of playing in winter classic. Think claude is shooting for that. Hear his baseline almost right

I sure hope it's right and that he isn't rushing it for this game. Though it is a spectacle, at the end of the day it is just another regular season game worth 2 pts. Anything that possibly sets him back for the playoffs should be avoided at all costs. If he's genuinely ready to go and can take regular hockey hits without recurrence then game on!

http://www.csnphilly.com/blog/flyers-talk/post/Giroux-skates-again-but-not-rushing-retu?blockID=615228&feedID=704

DENVER -- Claude Giroux skated a hard 90 minutes Monday at Pepsi Center and says he continues to have good days in succession.

He is recovering from a concussion suffered on Dec. 10 against Tampa Bay.

“It’s progress and you want to test yourself a little bit more every day,” Giroux said. “Obviously, in Colorado it’s a little harder to get back in shape (thin air). But it was a good test to see where I was. I felt good.”

He has not had any hard contact with other players yet. The Flyers meet the Colorado Avalanche tonight.

As for the 90-minute workout...

“If there’s no symptoms, I see no reason why not to push yourself,” he said. “I told myself when I got back on the ice, I wasn’t going on and just cruise about the ice. I want to skate hard. I have a habit of going hard every shift.”

He would not say whether he is at the point where he feels he can return to the lineup. The Flyers were not expecting him to play on this road trip.

“I try not to think about it,” he said on coming back. “I go day-by-day … If it’s the Rangers or even Christmas, I don’t see why to push it. It’s December.”

Giroux said he won’t jeopardize his health in returning too soon.

“I’m aware of what could happen if I come back too fast,” he said. “My reaction could be slower. I’m aware of stuff. The coaching staff and [trainer] Jim [McCrossin] are making sure I don’t rush into it.”

Maybe you had sarcasm intended, if not than this is the rub. Look at Crosby- out again. That said (and every individual is different) I would like to think that a "seemingly" grazing knee to the head is far less severe than Crosby getting clocked twice in two games or Pronger getting a brutal stick to the orbital bone and then another head first check into the boards.

One thing is for sure: times have changed. The entire management recognizes the greatness of Giroux and will take EVERY precaution to make sure he is 100%.

No sarcasm intended. Claude skated (hard) again today for 90 mins. I agree with you...I don't think his concussion was any where near as severe as Crosby's and I believe they will take every precaution. However, I don't believe they will hold him out just for the sake of holding him out. I also believe he is closer to coming back than what is being reported. He has to pass the ImPACT testing BEFORE he is allowed to skate. He is beyond that. Here are the steps listed on the ImPACT web site:

• Step-wise return to play

• No activity - rest until asymptomatic
  • Light aerobic exercise
  • Sport-specific training
  • Non-contact drills
  • Full-contact drills
  • Game play

Giroux is at #4, possibly #5. He may get to play in Dallas on Wednesday but I expect to see him play against the Rangers on Friday.

Giroux is at #4, possibly #5. He may get to play in Dallas on Wednesday but I expect to see him play against the Rangers on Friday.

I hope your right that he might be ready and would love to see him back but they should hold him out until next week just to be sure. He's skating hard but the symptons might show up weds or thurs. I rather wait alittle more then what these trainers says, we've seen what they have done so far.