Plus ça change - Anglophone coach not good enough

Guest brelic

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=383050

I don't know how sensitive Americans are to the language debate in Canada, but to me this is a bit crazy.

Funny how they don't complain when they have a franchise anglophone guy tending goal for them. Then again, the way they treated Koivu for not learning French was kind of ridiculous too.

Now that the playing field has been all evened out, the Habs are just another team, and a bad one at that. Maybe they should be worrying about whether the coach is any good, as opposed to which language he speaks.

Exactly. And kind of sh!tty for Cunneyworth that the attitude is "well, if it were an excellent coach like Mike Babcock, then it would be acceptable." Wow, way to give the new guy a chance.

If I were Cunneyworth, the only line I would use when responding to them (media) is....Manger vous me baise français........

Supposed to be "Eat me you French F**ks" if the English to French Translator was right......God I love the google....

P.S> This is not directed at Canadians in general, only the ones ignorant enough to not give a guy a chance because of his language abilities...

Edited by flyerrod

They also crapped on Mike Keane. But as Brelic mentioned the treatment of Koivu, after he played his heart out and donated so much money to the hospitals was terrible.

I listened to an interview with a writer from Le Journal this morning. He said that he was "willing to give" Cunneyworth two or three games to prove himself.

Rod......

I married into a French-Canadian family. I have many French friends and hockey cohorts.

But, I want to tell you a story.

I was on the board of a regional league in Quebec. The meetings were conducted in French. I can usually understand French if the speaker speaks slowly and distinctly and if the issues are fairly simple. However, sometimes I need help. Occasionally, one of my friends would explain something to me in English.

At one meeting, this guy interrupted a speaker, and demanded a vote that meetings no longer be interrupted so that matters could be explained to someone too stupid to learn French. The vote was taken and his proposal was defeated. I knew that my purpose in being there was to provide exposure to a better level of hockey for the kids, so I kept my face straight and took it.

But, I'll never forget it.

Edited by blocker

Rod......

I married into a French-Canadian family. I have many French friends and hockey cohorts.

I was on the board of a regional league in Quebec. The meetings were conducted in French. I can usually understand French if the speaker speaks slowly and distinctly and if the issues are fairly simple. However, sometimes I need help. Occasionally, one of my friends would explain something to me in English.

At one meeting, this guy interrupted a speaker, and demanded a vote that meetings no longer be interrupted so that matters could be explained to someone too stupid to learn French. The vote was taken and his proposal was defeated. I knew that my purpose in being there was to provide exposure to a better level of hockey for the kids, so I kept my face straight and took it.

That's too bad, blocker. Some people are just like that, I guess.

Rod......

There tends to be a lot of tongue in cheek on this board,and I am usually for it....hell i am usually a part of it. I try really hard to keep myself and my family from stereo typing people, but that kind of one sided racism appalls me. I am glad there are people in the world like you blocker that can see the greater good of what your doing and avoid it. I tend to let people like that know in no uncertain terms, what I think of their "philosophy".......

I've never had a problem working in Quebec, and I'm far from fluent in French. But two guys I work with have had several incidences of anti-English comments hurled at them. Not sure why I've never been the target, but I try to speak French while one of them refuses.

I've never had a problem working in Quebec, and I'm far from fluent in French. But two guys I work with have had several incidences of anti-English comments hurled at them. Not sure why I've never been the target, but I try to speak French while one of them refuses.

Not directly relavent but, I spent a year living in Paris and the worst thing anyone said to me regarding my French was a street vendor who, upon hearing my less-than-perfect French asked me if I was from Quebec. I took it as a compliment, at least he thought bad French was my natural language.

Jack.....

I bought a lot of our hockey equipment from a family store in the eastern townships of Quebec. They were mostly French-speaking, but bilingual. I ordered things in my fumbling French, and they would kindly correct any errors I made. I dealt mostly with the Mrs. One day, I'm explaining our needs, and I can feel a dawning fluency. It's like all of a sudden, I'm Maurice Chevalier, and the French is flowing from me.

I'm on a roll. I decide to make a joke. I know that French cuss words usually make some reference to the church, so I speculate upon the habits of the priest.

Mistake.

Her kids who were there thought it was funny, but she sure didn't.

I've told this story before, and You're probably sick of it. But, one of the perks of being old is that we're expected to bore people.

I'm at a tournament in Essex Junction, Vt. Teams from the eastern states of the US, and the eastern provinces of Canada. I'm standing with a group that includes some of my Quebec counterparts. We've had a few pops. I start to holler instructions to the players and the officials in my "French". My friends laugh, so I continue to yell.

This woman in the row in front of us, turns to stare at me. I look at her, she looks at me and says sniffingly "Stupid frog".

• 3 weeks later...