"Flyers to make multiple trades"

Guest Leach27

They need to show JVR video of his perfomance in the playoffs, when he was a one man show. He was driving to the net with authority and using his size and speed. JVR is still a goofy young kid without alot of confidence or snarl. Give him some time to develop. If it came to making a trade for a guy like Webber , Id rather give them Schenn, Schenn was injured in juniors and its carrying right over to the pros, he is the next Lindros...constantly injured. Call it bad luck, maybe its the way he plays, maybe he is too frail, but he looks like one of those jinxed players

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/990876-nhl-trade-rumors-nashvilles-gm-adds-fuel-to-the-fire-surrounding-weber-rumors

Bruce Bennett/Getty Images

Rumors have been swirling around for weeks now in regards to Nashville Predators defenseman Shea Weber. Many believe that Weber will end up in Philadelphia, because of the gaping hole Chris Pronger has left in their line-up.

Well, things are beginning to heat up.

On Saturday, Nashville Predators General Manager David Poile added fuel to the fire. When asked what he plans on doing with soon-to-be free agents Shea Weber and Ryan Suter, Poile told CBC, "Ask me on February 27". For those who don't know, February 27 is the NHL trade deadline.

Interesting. You'd think a GM would say something along the lines of "Well, were going to try and get both of these guys locked up long term" or something to that nature, but Poile seems to hint that there may be a trade on the horizon. Of course, like a good GM, he does go on to say that he does plan on signing them, but acknowledges that it may not be possible.

In the article, one NHL executive even went as far as to say "If [Poile] wanted to, he could create quite an auction for either [player]," and also added, "If he trades one or both in February, he is going to get a huge return," said another GM. "If he waits until [after the playoffs], it's going to be much less."

I can't say I disagree. Usually the price on players is at an all time high come the trade deadline, as teams are looking to add that final piece that they need in order to make a nice, long playoff run. From these comments, it seems as though the Predators won't wait until after the deadline before dealing one of Suter or Weber.

So, could it be true? I've been saying for a few weeks now that this could be a very real possibility, and now it's looking like it's becoming increasingly more possible. Certainly this won't be something that happens right away, but I do believe that if one is to be traded, it will be at the deadline.

It could be a tough decision for Poile, as his team has a good shot at being in a playoff spot come February. He may not want to trade away any assets before the playoffs. However, depending on the return, there could be an offer that he may not be able to pass up, and Philadelphia has a bunch of attractive trade chips.

It remains to be seen exactly what will happen, but if you read between the lines, it seems as though the trade deadline this year is going to be an exciting one.

What do you think of Poile's comments? Do you think he's just trying to gain interest in his star defenseman? Or do you think he realizes that he can't sign both of them and is entertaining offers?

They need to show JVR video of his perfomance in the playoffs, when he was a one man show. He was driving to the net with authority and using his size and speed. JVR is still a goofy young kid without alot of confidence or snarl. Give him some time to develop. If it came to making a trade for a guy like Webber , Id rather give them Schenn, Schenn was injured in juniors and its carrying right over to the pros, he is the next Lindros...constantly injured. Call it bad luck, maybe its the way he plays, maybe he is too frail, but he looks like one of those jinxed players

While i'm not giving up on JVR, he doesn't need to develop, he needs to try. He's got size. He can skate very well. He can shoot, and stick handle. He just needs to put an effort in and he'll be a very good NHLer. But I'm really starting to wonder if he cares. He looked this way in college, and other than the odd game here and there, he still looks the same. Every once in awhile he goes out there and looks great. Not OK, not pretty good, but great. Then he just turns invisible again for 10 games. That's effort.

Schenn played 66 games his first year in junior plus playoffs. He missed a few games cause he was in the U18 Hockey Championship. He played 70 his 2nd year plus 12 playoff games. He played 59 games his 3rd year plus playoffs, plus the Memorial Cup plus and the WJs. He started his 4th season in LA, then back to Brandon, then played 27 games for another junior team plus 10 playoff games, played in the World Juniors again where he set the record for a Canadian, won the MVP and then played in the AHL and then 5 playoff games in the A. Wheres this injury history in junior again?. He's had a fluke broken foot and a concussion (like Pronger/Giroux/Read/Couturier) I don't see a jinx here.

I agree, sign a top 4 talent, at a top 4 talent number and try to resign Carle, who has shaken off what ever was causing him to play tentatively early this year at a similar top 4 talent number and roll with coburn, metzaros, carle, player X as your core, timmonen is still effective and is a top pairing guy for the duration of his contract, fill in spot 6 with Gustaffson and Bourdon, those guys get minutes and aren't the black hole the bottom pairing has turned into in playoffs past. there is no need to gut the team for Shea Webber. none. oh and buy out CP with the new cba allowance

Ding, ding, ding. :-)

FC - ha! that's true, KP is like "legendary" to some Flyers' fans. I guess I can see a little validity to it - not "legendary" but "unique" maybe (even that's pushing it). Not even in the same sentence as Clarke or Leach or Howe - or about a hundred other Flyers... but Primeau did score the big goal in the 5 OT game, and he had that one helluva run in the POs. Other than that it's pretty ridiculous.

Not to derail the topic, but I am totally with FC on this. I throw up in my mouth a little every time I heard folks lauding how great Primeau was, aside from a great 3 weeks of playoff hockey. I loved Brindy and would never have pulled that trade. Brindy was 10x the player that Priemeau was and should have retired a Flyer.

Wheres this injury history in junior again?. He's had a fluke broken foot and a concussion (like Pronger/Giroux/Read/Couturier) I don't see a jinx here.

I don't get this either. Everyone seems to label him as glass- which is absurd. He has just had bum luck, nothing more and nothing less.

actually I think one person - ronjeremy - referred to Schenn as "injured in minors" and that was it. I said he's "been unlucky" this year. Nobody I'm aware of is labeling him "Made Of Glass" or anything of the sort.

Ok, let me correct myself.. I meant in the junior championships, I know he was the star of that series, but didnt he have a shoulder injury? I guess Im seeing the injuries pile up, and after seeing it happen to Lindros right from the start , head injury ,knee injury, shoulder,etc, internal bleeding, now Schen has a variety of injuries, it has me a little nervous. I guess the bottom line is, if the Flyers make a trade for someone like Webber, we may as well face the facts that its going to be either JVR or Schenn who is part of the trade package.

actually I think one person - ronjeremy - referred to Schenn as "injured in minors" and that was it. I said he's "been unlucky" this year. Nobody I'm aware of is labeling him "Made Of Glass" or anything of the sort.

Heh, I called him a man of glass, but it was tongue in cheek and was referring to this year.

Ok, let me correct myself.. I meant in the junior championships, I know he was the star of that series, but didnt he have a shoulder injury? I guess Im seeing the injuries pile up, and after seeing it happen to Lindros right from the start , head injury ,knee injury, shoulder,etc, internal bleeding, now Schen has a variety of injuries, it has me a little nervous. I guess the bottom line is, if the Flyers make a trade for someone like Webber, we may as well face the facts that its going to be either JVR or Schenn who is part of the trade package.

Schenn was hurt in the WJs. he also set the Canadian scoring record while hurt.

If we get Weber, I could give a rats arse if either one of them goes. And I think both have potential to be good players. But Weber is already great, and young.