Looks like the Yotes are Staying in Phoenix

hf101

GLENDALE COUNCIL PASSES LEASE DEAL FOR JAMISON, COYOTES

he city council of Glendale, Arizona has approved a reconfigured 20-year, $320 million lease package that could allow former San Jose Sharks executive Greg Jamison to buy the Phoenix Coyotes.

The deal passed by a vote of 4-2 and is conditional on the purchase of the Coyotes being completed by January 31, 2013.

The package will reportedly pay Jamison approximately $15 million annually to help run the Jobing.com Arena in Glendale.

The vote late on Tuesday night came after a lengthy debate among council members, followed by several passionate public comments both for and against the lease deal.

Jamison was among the speakers who presented his case before Glendale mayor Elaine Scruggs and a six-member council. One council seat is vacant, meaning the vote was among five members and the mayor.

"I believe this deal we have with Mr. Jamison is the best one we'll get," said council member Yvonne Knaack, who voted in favour of the deal. "I don't think he would invest his time and money if he didn't think he would succeed."

Mayor Scruggs, who had once supported the team in Phoenix, has been vocal against a deal in recent months and voted against the deal on Tuesday.

Sources told ESPN.com earlier on Tuesday that the financing for a $170 million purchase of the team is in place. The National Hockey League has owned the franchise since former owner Jerry Moyes took the team into bankruptcy in 2009.

So it looks as if the NHL has a date in mind to for hockey in January.

@hf101 I'm sure Gary has this Jamieson guy in his back pocket. He's going to select "company men", who will vote for him if needed....just my guess...AND he has the Phoenix vote until late Jan, so he only needs 7 other owners to support him until that time, then it moves up to a measley 8....ha ha what a friggin joke. I know of no other league or business where a Commish needs such a small minority to run things his way.

Yeah but let's face it.. he has more than 8 owners supporting him. To believe otherwise is foolish. If the majority of the owners were unhappy with what is going on then that rule would be changed by those very same owners. Believe me, they didn't make that the rule without understanding they can change it any time they want to.

When Gary got hired, he insisted on this "only need 8 votes" scenario, the NHL signed off on it, and WHAM...we have the birth of dictator Gary!

effing idiots (owners). Who in their right mind would let a minority rule their business??