Flyer's unique relationship with the Officials?

Guest The Quigster

Last night got five minutes for fighting and get this, ten minutes for inciting. Its a first for me,"Little Zack Picked on the Big Guys"???? After last week's debacle involving Lucic/Miller and that idiot Shanahan, it appears some officials have an agenda. I watched the Tampa/Pitt game between the periods and was amazed by all the uncalled interference/clutching/holding/hooking on Tampa. It seems like a different set of rules for each team,but I guess that can be expected from a league twenty years behind all other major league sports!

it's always been this way. although, i think the refs used to have a bit more respect for the 'enforcer' types and they let them do their job, within reason. now.. .yeah... almost every team has someone that's on their radar. rinaldo is obviously one of them. it sucks for him and us. sucks for hockey in general as well because they are actively trying to discourage big hits apparently.

In Rinaldo's case, you simply have to take them both, or no one. Both teams/players were yapping, and Rinaldo even took a punch to start the scrum that wasn't called. Time/place/score...refs need to pay better attention.

Then again, I guess he was lucky he didn't get 2 for unsportsmanlike and a 10. Then we'd have had to kill the penalty.

There is no doubt that Philly gets some "reputation penalties"--it's actually been that way since the "Broad Street Bullies" era in the beginning.

... as far as the Rinaldo thing last night... I normally would agree that both players should have been penalized. However, it was clear to me that Rinaldo's strategy was clearly to get both sides penalized and he was the sole instigator and he was called on it. It's actually the "reputation penalty" in reverse. We tend to think that Rindaldo was the only one penalized based upon reputation; however, in this instance, I have to agree with the officials on the 10 min. mis-conduct. That was clearly all Rinaldo IMHO. It was a good try and I credit Rinaldo for giving it a shot--he picked the player that would hurt the Coyotes the most; but, it just didn't work. I'm sure I'm in the minority in this opinion; but, that's the way I saw it.

The word "Inciting" is something I haven't heard before. The NHL officiating needs a lot more scrutiny,via instant replays,coaches being allowed to contest the calls,etc.. As I mentioned in the initial post officiating in the other game was using a different set of rules. If the NHL want to be a national sport,the officiating needs to improve!

Like Gazoo said, Rinaldo even got hit, so he should have been given some leeway to give the panzies some "what fer." I can't believe it's come down to the officials inventing penalties on the spot to put Flyers in the bin.

There is no doubt that Philly gets some "reputation penalties"--it's actually been that way since the "Broad Street Bullies" era in the beginning.

... as far as the Rinaldo thing last night... I normally would agree that both players should have been penalized. However, it was clear to me that Rinaldo's strategy was clearly to get both sides penalized and he was the sole instigator and he was called on it. It's actually the "reputation penalty" in reverse. We tend to think that Rindaldo was the only one penalized based upon reputation; however, in this instance, I have to agree with the officials on the 10 min. mis-conduct. That was clearly all Rinaldo IMHO. It was a good try and I credit Rinaldo for giving it a shot--he picked the player that would hurt the Coyotes the most; but, it just didn't work. I'm sure I'm in the minority in this opinion; but, that's the way I saw it.

Nice post. I'm in agreement with you. Rinaldo knows he's a marked man. We had him on our junior team here and I have to admit, I never thought he had the brains to play in the NHL. I'll give him credit, he's kept his wits about him for the most part. I fully expected him to be that guy to hit guys from behind, or in the head (dirty hits were his forte' in junior) but he's played on the edge and not over it. Good on him for trying to take one of their best players off with him. But the refs warned him, and he didn't stop. They didn't make us kill a penalty, so no harm no foul in my books.

Will be intersting to see how penalities are treated on HBO... Could you imagine if they actually start researching some of the bitching? I know in the other, similar thread I said others view we get away with everything, but if you actually poke around that bear... something might bite.