Broad Street Bull Article

Guest MDFlyerFan

Read article published yesterday by Sam Carchidi about Bryz not being the answer.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/So-far-Bryz-not-the-answer.html

I think he's full of it. While Bryz hasn't exactly been the 2nd coming of Bernie he's doesn't suck.

With all of the off-season moves, I figured this would either be a transition year for the team or they'll gel as a team and come on strong in the 2nd half of the regular season. Injuries are wreaking havoc and could make for a bad stretch of games sooner rather than later.

Oh, and the team is tied for first in the conference.

@MDFlyerFan

I don't think he's full of it. So far, Bryzgalov hasn't been the answer. He's 30th in GAA and 37th in save percentage If the team wasn't surprisingly the highest scoring in the league, we'd be lucky to be .500. He hasn't resembled (other than a handful of games) what he was brought in to do. That's all the guy is saying, and I agree with him 100%, and have said it multiple times before.

Hopefully this guy gets his act together and soon, or it's going to be a looooong 9 years for both Ilya and we fans.

I'll give both of your opinions respect. Bryz has been far from stellar so far.

However, we're not even halfway into his first season. I think it's too soon to make this kind of judgement. Even if he's average this season I believe he'll be very solid the next few seasons.

I think Sam is just calling it like he sees it. I don't think anyone can honestly say they are happy with Bryz's play thus far. Sam isn't saying he can't or won't turn it around, nor is he saying to cut him loose. He's just stating the facts that our goaltending last year actually had better numbers than it does this year. That cannot be disputed. Will that change? Maybe. But right now, that's the cold hard truth.

I'll give both of your opinions respect. Bryz has been far from stellar so far.

However, we're not even halfway into his first season. I think it's too soon to make this kind of judgement. Even if he's average this season I believe he'll be very solid the next few seasons.

Define 'too soon'. We're 10 games away from the half way mark.

Before Bryzo was signed I was concerned about him being waived by the Sharks and the Ducks,as far asI know he was never #1 goalie.He was handed that position with the Coyotes and hyped by a lot of people(Homer loves hype!). So far he has been a disappointment as the goaltending solution. Bobbo looks good,but he looked good at times last season,caving when it really counted. Homer needs to find a good goalie mystic,Soon!

@MDFlyerFan

People said it was too soon after 10 games...that's fair. But we're nearing the halfway point. He's not a rookie, and he doesn't need to learn how to play with his wingers or defensive partner. He just has to play goal like a "good" goalie. "Even if he's average"? He's not. He's bottom of the barrel.

Too soon = this entire season.

The reasons are: new environment and the amount of personnel changes during the off season.

Don't get me wrong, I want to take a day off in June, 2012 for the parade down Broad St.

I view the first half season, at a minimum, as sort of a rebuilding project.

Just my two cents and appreciate the comments.

Too soon = this entire season.

The reasons are: new environment and the amount of personnel changes during the off season.

Don't get me wrong, I want to take a day off in June, 2012 for the parade down Broad St.

I view the first half season, at a minimum, as sort of a rebuilding project.

Just my two cents and appreciate the comments.

Ok, let me ask you this.

Were you prepared to give Simmonds, Voracek, Read, Couturier, Talbot, Jagr, Z, and Rinaldo an entire season to get it together? Wouldn't you be justified in your disappointment of Talbot if he played half as well as he did in Pittsburgh? What about Simmonds and Voracek?

I think we all want Bryz to succeed, but we have different expectations on when that was supposed to happen ;)

@brelic: That's precisely my point. I'm not looking at individuals getting their act together, I'm looking at the entire team. Right now, as flyercanuck pointed out, we're scoring a bunch of goals which is keeping us at or near the top of the conference. When the goal production drops, Bryz has to come up big (better come up big). But at the midway point of his first season here I think it's too soon to throw him under the bus like Sam did. If he plays just average in the second half of the season then I'll have a nice crow sandwich on this posting. :-) For now, I'll give him a pass and some time to get his head straight. Maybe he needs to stop thinking about the universe and it's vast size. The only space he needs to be concerned about is the 3 x 5 (or whatever the dimensions are) of the net.

Define 'too soon'. We're 10 games away from the half way mark.

But wasn't he signed because he was already supposed to be stellar? I know coming into a new city, a new team, a new coach with a new system can be challenging, but Bryz is a prefessional, supposed to be highly skilled, and the answer, and is being paid accordingly......all because he's stellar. I don't think it's too soon to expect him to be playing to those expectations. I can't help but to oversimplify in the extreme and this is some of my frustration coming out for the 5 goals he gave up to Boston, so my apologies - but this ain't rocket science, all he has to do is stop the puck!!!!! Just focus on stopping the puck one shot at a time.

Edited by OH1FlyersFan

But wasn't he signed because he was already supposed to be stellar? I know coming into a new city, a new team, a new coach with a new system can be challenging, but Bryz is a prefessional, supposed to be highly skilled, and the answer, and is being paid accordingly......all because he's stellar. I don't think it's too soon to expect him to be playing to those expectations. I can't help but to oversimplify in the extreme and this is some of my frustration coming out for the 5 goals he gave up to Boston, so my apologies - but this ain't rocket science, all he has to do is stop the puck!!!!! Just focus on stopping the puck one shot at a time.

But what if stopping the puck is just an aftereffect of the cosmic reverberation of a multitude of sustainable sentient species distributed across an infinitude of inhabitable planets? Did you ever think of that?

but Bryz is a prefessional, supposed to be highly skilled, and the answer, and is being paid accordingly

$10mil this season accordingly. I can appreciate people being patient but if it was YOUR $10mil would you have the same patience? It's one thing to keep your sanity as a fan and say "oh, it's too soon to judge" or "oh, dial back your expectations" and blah blah blah, but there really isn't much else to take out of this the guys is getting paid X and is delivering a much lower product, plain and simple. And as many have pointed out, it's not like he can't get his act together, and really start shutting it down as the season progresses. And then we fans who have been hard on him to this point will then be allowed to say "finally, the Flyers are getting what they paid for and we fans are getting what we expected and be happy". You don't throw $10mil at a guy and HOPE he's the answer, you are buying a sure thing with that kind of money.

Edited by Spinorama
  • Like 1

@MDFlyerFan

Hopefully this guy gets his act together and soon, or it's going to be a looooong 9 years for both Ilya and we fans.

At this point there may be a problem looming in his home/road splits - .882 / .912. But Bryz is 8-1-1 on the road so far, not too shabby.

SQUIRRELL!!!!! .... comment from the rocket scientist....... ;)

But what if stopping the puck is just an aftereffect of the cosmic reverberation of a multitude of sustainable sentient species distributed across an infinitude of inhabitable planets? Did you ever think of that?

Touche! I hadn't thought of that. But when you put it that way.....lol. Nicely done.

You don't just sign a guy to a contract and he automatically plays at the level you're paying him. There are many factors when signing someone to a contract. That being said, yeah he's not quite at the same level as he was in Phoenix but this team has been plagued by injuries and, again, plays a more wide open offensive style. I would think when the playoffs start, everyone will be focused on being more responsible defensively. I don't think it's really fair to compare the current team's stats against last years either. How many more rookies are in the lineup? The TEAM has sucked at home (for some reason), not JUST Bryzgalov.

It's understandable to look for ways to improve the team, but it seems like everyone always wants to start a witch hunt to find a scapegoat. Does anyone really believe if Bob was in net, we'd be winning the few games we've lost? The team has shown resilience in coming back from big deficits, which is a good thing, but the Bruins were just a much better team the other day.