Wings prospects kicking butt in the AHL

Guest jammer2

Hockey's best team at developing prospects appears to have stuck again. Nyquist and Smith and looking really strong and have the stats to back it up.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20121201/SPORTS0103/212010342/Wings-prospects-Brendan-Smith-Gustav-Nyquist-grooving-Grand-Rapids?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports

Hockey's best team at developing prospects appears to have stuck again. Nyquist and Smith and looking really strong and have the stats to back it up.

http://www.detroitne...ews|text|Sports

What I would give to have Detroits scouting department. Though, you have to admit that the Flyers have done fairly well recently (Giroux, Couturier and even the trades are looking pretty stellar with Schenn (B), Simmonds & Voracek. The thing about detroit is that they find these guys in the 3rd rounds and later.

@Vanflyer

The big difference is Detroit actually develops their players. They don't bring them up until they are ready. Most teams rush their prospects and when they play against bigger faster stronger opposition they lose their confidence. A year or two (or three or four) in the AHL never hurt anybody.

The big difference is Detroit actually develops their players. They don't bring them up until they are ready. Most teams rush their prospects and when they play against bigger faster stronger opposition they lose their confidence. A year or two (or three or four) in the AHL never hurt anybody.

Great point- but how is it that they are able to do that, while others are not?? Don't get me wrong, because Detroit was retched for a long stretch of time. But in the last two decades have been stellar.

To your point, one of the shining stars of this lockout is that Couturier and Schenn are playing in the AHL. Not that either one needs it, but when it comes to development and confidence, both are gaining tons. Did you know that Schenn is near a 2ppg player in the AHL and evidently learning to be a formidable defensive player while doing that??

Schenn, this is going to be a HUGE confidence builder, which is all he really needed.

Interesting that Terry Murray is coaching him (again). I think that is great. Say what you want about Murray, but the one thing is he always preaches defence. The fact that Schenn is being enormously productive while also playing well in all three zones is a god send. I think in a couple of years we will all be saying Mike who? (not to take anything away from him, but I think Schenn is more dynamic offensively and can be every bit of a defensive player that Richards is).

Interesting that Terry Murray is coaching him (again). I think that is great. Say what you want about Murray, but the one thing is he always preaches defence. The fact that Schenn is being enormously productive while also playing well in all three zones is a god send. I think in a couple of years we will all be saying Mike who? (not to take anything away from him, but I think Schenn is more dynamic offensively and can be every bit of a defensive player that Richards is).

The one thing with Murray, he could always teach. Not always the best x and 0 coach but he can get a young player and develop them like nobodies business.

As to the Wings, Nyquist and Smith are gonna be regulars for a long time, but Tatar is flying under the radar, think Daniel cleary. Not sexy, can play wing on second or third line and responsible in his own zone.

• 1 month later...