This Bryzgalov fella is pretty good

Guest TedZep

He started off slow, but he's been excellent lately.

As much as he downplayed "Game #18" leading up to it, he seemed pretty darned excited when Read knocked in the game winner.

The defense made him work for that one.

Wow, Derek Morris sounds kinda douchey:

Earlier in the day, two of Ilya Bryzgalov's former Phoenix teammates - defensemen Derek Morris and Adrian Aucoin - criticized him mercilessly in radio interviews, saying the goalie created animosity in the locker room.

[...]

As for Bryzgalov, he made 30 saves and is 5-0-1 with a 1.66 goals-against average in his last six starts.

"He bailed us out when we made mistakes," Flyers captain Chris Pronger said.

"It was not an easy team to beat, and it takes a full 60 minutes to win the game," Bryzgalov said.

Told about his former teammates' criticism - Morris said Bryzgalov was "known for letting in bad goals" and that he was "glad he's gone" - Bryzgalov took the high road.

"I always felt good about those guys," said Bryzgalov, 31, who played most of the previous four seasons in Phoenix. "Every person in their life has opinions about everyone. You can't pay attention if they think like that. I can't change his mind."

lol @ derek morris. you'd think a guy "leading" his team for worst +/- would pause a sec before critisizing. and, hey, look at that, he "added" another -1 on the game winner last night.

Yup. To me, that's the equivalent of Pronger or Briere saying Richards or Carter "had tail on their minds over goals" or "always needed a little liquid courage" to cope with being spoiled millionaires.

Just not something you say about former teammates.

He is better then previous flyers goalies. He was dreadful in the POs last year and is prone to some weak ass goals.

Morris is definitely a douche. I love how his two ****ups directly lead to the GWG last night. **** him.

Edited by Flyguys03

"Yup. To me, that's the equivalent of Pronger or Briere saying Richards or Carter "had tail on their minds over goals" or "always needed a little liquid courage" to cope with being spoiled millionaires."

i disagree. to me, it's the equivalent of oscars bartulis saying richards or carter "had tail on their minds over goals" or "always needed a little liquid courage" to cope with being spoiled millionaires."

derek morris is terrible. he has no ground to critisize anyone about anything. if it were shane doan or keith yandel saying something, i'd listen a little. journeymen bottom pair guys need to shut up and be glad they get a paycheck.

Earlier in the day, two of Ilya Bryzgalov's former Phoenix teammates - defensemen Derek Morris and Adrian Aucoin - criticized him mercilessly in radio interviews, saying the goalie created animosity in the locker room.

I was shocked by these comments. To my knowledge, even Sean Avery's former teammates have never ripped him this way and I think the comments reflect poorly on Morris and Aucoin. I don't believe Bryzgalov was a bad enough teammate to deserve those comments and even if he wasn't always a good teammate, it is never a good idea to climb down into the gutter like Morris and Aucoin did.

"breezy was the only reason the yotes made the PO. he got shelled with tons of shots because his teammates in front of him broke down"

dave tippett has a great rep as an excellent systems coach who pushes a very tight defensive scheme. we saw some of it last night. a lot of shots, but not many from real scoring areas. lo and behold, mike smith suddenly looks like an elite goalie, with a .934sv% over 14 games, from his career .909 average.

not knocking on bryzgalov, but he gets WAY too much credit for the coyotes PO appearances. that was a solid team that worked better than the sum of its parts. kudos to the coaches and the on-ice leadership for that. bryzgalov did his part, but he didn't do it alone. they are still a playoff team without him to this point.

"""""derek morris is terrible. he has no ground to critisize anyone about anything. if it were shane doan or keith yandel saying something, i'd listen a little. journeymen bottom pair guys need to shut up and be glad they get a paycheck. """""""

hard to believe that the Av's traded Chris Drury IN HIS PRIME for this asshole. One of the worst trades ever.

He started off slow, but he's been excellent lately.

As much as he downplayed "Game #18" leading up to it, he seemed pretty darned excited when Read knocked in the game winner.

The defense made him work for that one.

he needed an adjustment period. it's funny that a lot of people don't wanna give a goalie that. different goalies like their D to do different things in front of them. they had communication issues and things that needed time to gel. i think we're starting to see that happen now. mid nov is not a long amount of time for that to happen. it's about right. bryz likes to see the first shot, the flyers had been diving in front of everything before... probably because they knew every puck had the chance to see net with boucher. ;)

"breezy was the only reason the yotes made the PO. he got shelled with tons of shots because his teammates in front of him broke down"

dave tippett has a great rep as an excellent systems coach who pushes a very tight defensive scheme. we saw some of it last night. a lot of shots, but not many from real scoring areas. lo and behold, mike smith suddenly looks like an elite goalie, with a .934sv% over 14 games, from his career .909 average.

not knocking on bryzgalov, but he gets WAY too much credit for the coyotes PO appearances. that was a solid team that worked better than the sum of its parts. kudos to the coaches and the on-ice leadership for that. bryzgalov did his part, but he didn't do it alone. they are still a playoff team without him to this point.

You make some very good points. Makes you wonder how Bryz will turn out a year or two from now.

Jets only allowed 2 goals in the last 4 games--they were hot and at home. The game was not considered to be an easy one going in... They came out of the shoot and had Flyers on their heels. Flyers recovered and almost pulled it out; but, the momentum the Jets had going into the game carried them through. Since the Jets were on a role, i have to agree with Digy--Bryz would have been my choice to start the game.