The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year Is Closing In

flyercanuck

Christmas is only 3 weeks away. Ya, we all know that. But 3 weeks and 2 days from now is Boxing Day, or as some of us know it, WJHCs Day!

Most fans outside of Canada don't care about this tournament. In the US millions will watch college football, but could care a less about junior hockey. Well this year it's looking like there'll be no NHL (at least until well after this tournament anyway), so if you want to watch some great hockey and see some of the best up and coming stars in the game, do yourself a favour and watch the World Junior Hockey Championships. For us North American viewers it's too bad it's being held in Russia. The idiots who've done the scheduling have most of Canadas games (you know, the team with the fans who actually WANT to watch) at 430 in the morning. That's some great planning. They also took away what was becoming a tradition, Canada versus US on New Years Eve and replaced it with Canada/Russia. Bastards!

Of course with the lockout that means the best juniors will be playing. Canada usually has between 5-10 of their best in the NHL. This year they'll likely be icing names like Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (3rd leading scorer LAST year on the NHL Oilers) Jonathan Huberdeau, Ryan Strome, Boone Jenner and Mark Sheifele. Flyer pick Scott Laughton has an outside chance to make the 4th line.

@flyercanuck

Can't wait. Christmas doesn't start until Boxing Day for me anyway, as that is when I get to see Podein Jr usually.

I hope Laughton makes it - he's the perfect 4th line centre - but it's a tough lineup to crack, especially this year. No shame if he doesn't make it. If you look at the centers: Scheifele, Strome, Jenner, MacKinnon....

2 of those guys likely won't be centers. RNH will take one slot. And none of them is going to play on the 4th line.

I suppose. I don't know.

And I haven't even mentioned Monahan. I don't imagine there is room for more than a couple of 17 year olds, but he's got a pretty complete game and should see an invite at least. There's oodles of talent to choose from at the wings too.

@flyercanuck as of now it's believed the Canadian's first line will be RNH at centre with Scheifele and Huberdeau on the wings. Look Out!!

http://watch.tsn.ca/...7657#clip817657

Ya, with the lockout Canada becomes loaded at center. Sheifele can play well at RW so our first line looks impressive with those three. Having Boone Jenner as your 3rd line center is unbelievable. No other team can throw someone as physical AND as offensively gifted as that guy out there on their 3rd line.

@Podein25

17 year olds rarely get an invite...this is definately a 19 year olds tournament.. Bet Laughton wishes he'd never taken that 10 game suspension. Can't wait for this to start. Not looking forward to getting up at 430 am to watch though...damn commies! lol

Probably my favorite hockey tournament (Memorial cup not withstanding). To watch amateurs compete at the level they do is amazing. I would garner that 1/3 of the kids you see at the WJHC make it to the NHL. I have been to Sweden, Czech Republic and of course Vancouver to see this tournament live. Aside from the great hockey is the atmosphere and patriotism regardless of the hosting country. Just a fabulous event.

@Vanflyer

I'd like to know the percentage of players that make it. Obviously Germany for example isn't exactly filling roster spots all over the league. Canada, Sweden, US, Russia, Czech Rep., Slovakia and Finland on the other hand are. I like this tournament even better than the Memorial Cup. A huge reason is all the games are watched with family and friends.

@flyercanuck oh yea, for the first time all year I kinda hope the lockout doesn't end til after the tournament. Canada will be stacked and hell if I need to wake up at 4:00 am to watch the games then so be it

Oh I'll be watching. But I won't enjoy the getting up part one bit. It also takes away from the "festivities" when for example, the bar isn't open at that time.

I find if you brush your teeth with whisky when you get up it makes that first beer go down easier.

Alternatively I could just stay up, in which case it won't be my first beer. I'll need to brush my teeth though....

Just realizing that it'll be 5:30 am here in New Scotland. Not sure if that is better or not, given my previous statement!

Alternatively I could just stay up, in which case it won't be my first beer. I'll need to brush my teeth though....

Just realizing that it'll be 5:30 am here in New Scotland. Not sure if that is better or not, given my previous statement!

Maybe I should watch the tournament from Newfoundland. Then it'll be 6am for game time. That's certainly not too early to start drinking...especially on The Rock!

I like this tournament even better than the Memorial Cup. A huge reason is all the games are watched with family and friends.

I like it better than the Memorial cup as well- mostly because it is an international tournament v. memorial which is a Canadian tournament. Your family and friends are not interested in watching the Memorial cup?? Its really a shame that these tournaments are not picked up on TV in the US. Yet with todays internet technology, they can still be readily viewed.

The difference is the WJs happen around Christmas so family and friends get together and watch. I watch Mem cup with friends, but family doesn't live close enough to get together for that. They're also not a "junior junkie" like moi.

Great point. My wifes birday is december 23 (as well as my daughters) and my birthday is december 27th. So, even Christmas aside, we have "family" week and hockey is involved. I used to love it when I lived in Van and the Flyers would play the 'Nucks on New Years eve. You had WJHC and then the Flyers to go watch. Good times!

I am sure many Canadians have seen the WJHC when played in Canada, but if you ever get the chance to go and watch abroad, it is a tremendous experience. I could tell you some fantastic stories (both games and outside the games) about travelling to see WJHC.