The CBA Hockey-Pockey

radoran

So now we've had the owners and the players meet in a room, say how great it is that one side is paying the other millions and the other side is making the first side tens of millions and wouldn't it be great to get back to that whole making millions thing again?

So they leave and they tell everyone how great it was to be talking about making millions of dollars instead of not making millions of dollars and that it would be great if we could all just get back to that whole making millions of dollars thing and we're just gosh darn sure that we'll agree to be making millions of dollars again soon so you all better be ready to spend thousands of dollars on us again.

That's what it's all about.

So now we've had the owners and the players meet in a room, say how great it is that one side is paying the other millions and the other side is making the first side tens of millions and wouldn't it be great to get back to that whole making millions thing again?

So they leave and they tell everyone how great it was to be talking about making millions of dollars instead of not making millions of dollars and that it would be great if we could all just get back to that whole making millions of dollars thing and we're just gosh darn sure that we'll agree to be making millions of dollars again soon so you all better be ready to spend thousands of dollars on us again.

That's what it's all about.

Guess now I don't have to go see the movie...

I just saw a live press conference with Fehr and some players. For the first time, I have hope this season will start in late Dec or early Jan. They are inching closer, slowly but real progress is apparent. Donald Fehr stated "we have an agreement on the dollars". That is a big part of the picture. The actual length of the CBA is up in the air, the owners want 10 yrs, the player wanted 5, have gone to 8 with an opt out after 6.

OK....Fehr comes back to the podium, and WOW, the NHL rejected the offer, no deal is immenent...this is now, again....a long term problem. I'm disgusted.

WOW, Bob McKenzie went literally in 5 minutes from "we are close to being done here, the season is a go" to "this is a long drag out fight, the union will decertify next and the courts will be front and center"...and basically hinted the season is once again at serious risk....wow, from total elation to being shot dead in 5 friggin minutes. I'm speechless. Nothing will satisfy these greedy owners.

OK....Fehr comes back to the podium, and WOW, the NHL rejected the offer, no deal is immenent...this is now, again....a long term problem. I'm disgusted.

WOW, Bob McKenzie went literally in 5 minutes from "we are close to being done here, the season is a go" to "this is a long drag out fight, the union will decertify next and the courts will be front and center"...and basically hinted the season is once again at serious risk....wow, from total elation to being shot dead in 5 friggin minutes. I'm speechless. Nothing will satisfy these greedy owners.

This is my shocked face.

:ph34r:

it's unbelievable - it's like they're purposely jerking us around now.

"we're oh-so-close to a deal" and 2 minutes later "all the deals are off the table - we're miles apart"

if the damn NHL Network would start televising junior hockey regularly I could get into it easily. They've been showing a few games here and there but it's practically impossible to know when a game will be on - a live game I mean. Unless I quit my job and just concentrated on following the schedule...maybe I'd have a chance to catch live action. Or even replays from the night before would be better than nothing.

But half the time they're showing last year's Cup Final or some other random games from the NHL... those are great when there's nothing else going on, like in the summer. But there's a handful of leagues that are playing meaningful games right now...it'd be nice to see them - for us Americans I mean, who don't [edit: get to see] junior hockey on t.v. very often.

Edited by canoli
  • Like 1

@canoli After having a few days to digest this little drama I really feel Fehr was just trying to win the public percetption war. He boldly (and shockingly I might add) announces "we have an agreement on dollars". He knew it was not true, but he immediately became the harbringer of hope, the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel. When the NHL has to come out and inject reality, they become the bad guys, the ones that took away hope. If nothing else, I found it insulting as a fan, that Fehr could play with our emotions to win the little ego battle. For the first time, I'm against the NHLPA after this fiasco....but still like them more than the owners.

The fact we were subjected to this little charade, only magnifies the point of how monumental these two egos are. The egos are a major roadblock to getting this deal done. Both guys are more worried about their historical standing than the true health of the league.

Both guys are more worried about their historical standing than the true health of the league.

yeah that's becoming more obvious as the weeks drag along. what a shame and a waste. the best damn sport in the world and its premiere league is now a goddamn joke, one that has the die-hard fans frustrated and the casual fans laughing at us.

I knew it was possible to fk-up on an international scale, i'm just used to seeing governments and multinationals do it.

One thing I don't get is - everyone talks about the "public opinion" and who's the bad guy this week, etc. Jammer you made a case that Fehr's presser the other day was mostly (or entirely) about swaying public opinion. But does it matter? Neither side will buckle under public pressure because there is no public pressure. A few hundred thousand - or a million - die-hard fans? The hockey media? Honestly I don't think we have any weight at all in these negotiations.

The "public outcry" won't reach protest proportions - and that's what it would take...fans in the streets ripping up season tickets, burning jerseys, etc. But that won't happen. And there won't be a 60 minutes episode about the NHL.... It's plain to see neither side gives a damn how they look to the fans. They've got a job to do and they're doing it. The only problem is they think their job is To Win instead of Fix The League.

anyway - I don't know...does public opinion matter?