Ryan Nugent-Hopkins Team Canada

Vanflyer

4 members have voted

1. 1. Should Ryan Nugent-Hopkins be allowed to participate in the WJHC?

• Yes
    • No

It's an under 20 tournament that has the best in the world face off against the best in the world. Except that every year there isn't a lockout, Canadas top 5-10 juniors are in the NHL. We'd likely lose half our team this year if the lockout ended. Russia would likely lose a couple of guys. The US the same. We watched the Russians use pros against amateurs in every tournament for decades. In the U17 tournament, Canada sends 5 teams...the rest of the world sends 5 teams. Is that fair?

I'm ok with it. I can see why fans of other teams are not.

I don't see the US complaining when it comes to basketball in the Olympics. Or any other sport that their athletes (or other countries)are paid millions yet fall under the term "amateur". You've lived here Van, compare our Olympic athletes lifestyle to a US Olympic athlete...is that fair?

I don't see the US complaining when it comes to basketball in the Olympics. Or any other sport that their athletes (or other countries)are paid millions yet fall under the term "amateur". You've lived here Van, compare our Olympic athletes lifestyle to a US Olympic athlete...is that fair?

I have seen both sides. I lived in Colorado Springs (where the USOC training facilities are for the Winter Olympics). I get the "best" under 20 in the world part. I guess for me I have always viewed it is an under-20 amateur tournament. The reality is that is not accurate.

I have seen both sides. I lived in Colorado Springs (where the USOC training facilities are for the Winter Olympics). I get the "best" under 20 in the world part. I guess for me I have always viewed it is an under-20 amateur tournament. The reality is that is not accurate.

You can pretty much say that for a lot of things amateur nowadays. There is so much money involved, the term amateur doesn't mean squat anymore.That was the point I was getting at. Canadian Olympic athletes live near the poverty line. They are clearly amateur. A lot of other countries "amateur " athletes are millionaires with personal trainers and some have personal training facilities. Is that amateur? Depends on your definition I guess, but it sure isn't a level playing field.