Family Killing Me!

Guest idahophilly

I need advice...

This is just bitching really! All week I planned on watching the Flyers game tomorrow the the Boise State football game that comes on after that. I worked and worked and worked all week so I could just take a day off and chill out with a few beers and some pizza! Whamo! We NEED to go the movies tomorrow afternoon/evening to see TWILIGHT for my mom and we have to do it tomorrow to accomodate EVERYONE ELSE's schedule, not mine. And they want to eat out and all of them know I have stomach problems...Geez, I'm not rich either. 15 dollar dinner, 10 dollar movie ticket. There killin' me. I barely scrape together gas money...

Is it wrong to be gracious and thank them for the invite and decline? I need some frickin' mental alone time before I explode! (just for the record family in my case is brother, sister inlaw, mom and dad so it's not wife or any kids)

What say you all?

Ouch, i HATE when that happens. You plan something then, last minute, your plans just turn to crap. My 1st suggestion would be to just DVR the games if you can. Family won't be around forever, and sometimes spending time with them should come first. If this isn't an option, however, perhaps you come down with a bug or have to work etc (some kind of excuse). That, or maybe offer to meet up with them after the movie? Sorry, I don't know if I could be sucked into watching that crap movie haha :)

I would be out just at the mention of seeing Twilight!

I would be out just at the mention of seeing Twilight!

I've seen all the movies in the theater, done my duty, will cook my moms b-day dinner on Tuesday, help with Thanksgiving dinner Thursday. God... Besides, I don't remember what frickin' happened in the past 2-3 movies so I sit there my thumb up my ass not knowing what's going on...

I need advice... This is just bitching really! All week I planned on watching the Flyers game tomorrow the the Boise State football game that comes on after that. I worked and worked and worked all week so I could just take a day off and chill out with a few beers and some pizza! Whamo! We NEED to go the movies tomorrow afternoon/evening to see TWILIGHT for my mom and we have to do it tomorrow to accomodate EVERYONE ELSE's schedule, not mine. And they want to eat out and all of them know I have stomach problems...Geez, I'm not rich either. 15 dollar dinner, 10 dollar movie ticket. There killin' me. I barely scrape together gas money... Is it wrong to be gracious and thank them for the invite and decline? I need some frickin' mental alone time before I explode! (just for the record family in my case is brother, sister inlaw, mom and dad so it's not wife or any kids) What say you all?
best i can say is on the way home from work stop by a chinese restaurant and order a small tube of shrimp with lobster sauce but don't eat it hide it. sat. morning start complaning your not feeling good run to the bathroom pour the food into the toilet and make sounds like your throwing up. make sure your wife comes in and sees whats in the toilet. theres your get out of jail free card.

Let me go Dear Abby here. The family can only take advantage if you let them.

If they get P.O.d at this there is not much you can do but realize Family always assumes that you have nothing better to do. At least it don't look better to them.

Stay in an watch the events and do not I repeat do not answer the phone. Good Luck

for the record family in my case is brother, sister inlaw, mom and dad

Tell them you will literally be the fifth wheel in that arrangement and you have already made plans. Be honest and tell them you were really looking for the down time to relax your head, and go on without you and have a good time.

And the girl dies in the end, so you don't need to go see it. (I assume there is a girl in it, haven't been paying attention.)

Your family is making you watch Twilight? Do they hate you or something?

Seriously, dude ... I mean this with all due respect: MAN THE **** UP. Tell them to go enjoy Twilight on their own. You are a man and you have needs; one of those needs is to NEVER watch estrogen-drenched horsefeces like the Twilight movies.

My wife is actually going to see that garbage with her girlfriends tonight. I hope she has a great time. I certainly will NOT be there; nor will any of her girlfriends' respective husbands. My wife loves me and has too much respect for me to ask me to attend such a showing. She also knows I will say: hell no.

I only give you this tough-love answer because I like you Idaho. Put your foot down on this one, brotha. You'll thank yourself for the rest of your life.

She gets turned into a vampire so she dies... If she die - dies I don't know. I'll catch it on DVD (I guess its blue ray). Sounds like solid advice. I see my family all the time anyway, I should be able to take a miss. Do you know what it's like when you are the 5th wheel? They have to rearrange the table, get another seat or the worst, they seat you at the big table that seats 6 and they clank all the dishes and silverwear while they take it away! People are staring. On top of that, with my stomach problem I know I'll be able to half of what's sent out.

Your family is making you watch Twilight? Do they hate you or something?

Seriously, dude ... I mean this with all due respect: MAN THE **** UP. Tell them to go enjoy Twilight on their own. You are a man and you have needs; one of those needs is to NEVER watch estrogen-drenched horsefeces like the Twilight movies.

My wife is actually going to see that garbage with her girlfriends tonight. I hope she has a great time. I certainly will NOT be there; nor will any of her girlfriends' respective husbands. My wife loves me and has too much respect for me to ask me to attend such a showing. She also knows I will say: hell no.

I only give you this tough-love answer because I like you Idaho. Put your foot down on this one, brotha. You'll thank yourself for the rest of your life.

God dahm! You made me feel better. I like the occasional sci-fi or horror thing but this isn't my cup of tea... Thanks!

God dahm! You made me feel better. I like the occasional sci-fi or horror thing but this isn't my cup of tea... Thanks!

It always bugged me when people decided when and where I was supposed to be, no matter the occasion. You're a good guy, but you'll resent having to bend to someone else's whims. Whatever excuse you can invent, use it. The lamer the better, that way they'll know better than to plan your evenings next time.

1)I would start by thanking them for the invite and then politely decline it.

2) I would attempt to rescue my dad from the movie by asking him if he would prefer joining you to watch the games.

3)Offer to do a take out meal from somewhere decent and enjoy time with family at your home while watching the Boise State game.

Everybody gets to watch what they want, you still get to spend the time together, and best of all, you do not have to sit through a Twilight movie.......

That would be my choice.

1)I would start by thanking them for the invite and then politely decline it.

2) I would attempt to rescue my dad from the movie by asking him if he would prefer joining you to watch the games.

3)Offer to do a take out meal from somewhere decent and enjoy time with family at your home while watching the Boise State game.

Everybody gets to watch what they want, you still get to spend the time together, and best of all, you do not have to sit through a Twilight movie.......

That would be my choice.

It's not cricket to offer a sensible solution to a problem to which I've already proposed a dumb answer.

Is it wrong to be gracious and thank them for the invite and decline? I need some frickin' mental alone time before I explode! (just for the record family in my case is brother, sister inlaw, mom and dad so it's not wife or any kids)

Be gracious, tell them thank you, and decline with the truth,

then see a doctor for that stomach issue.

It all worked out already..............They canceled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All to do about nothing on my part. Sorry to bother anyone... But it was cool to have the advice come in. And the stomach will be better when i stop worrying about this kind of stuff.... (i'm seeing a doctor for GERD).

your mother wants to see twilight? oh well... there seems to be no winning this one, unless you want everyone to think you're a complete dick. why can't you dvr? all you need to do is go radio silence once the game starts and then pop it on once you get home. no biggie really. i do it all the time. turn my phone off if i'm concerned someone will ruin the score, then sit back and enjoy. it's an early game today too, so you don't even have to stay up all night.

your a grown man. just tell them your tired and need a day to recharge the battery. besides, they cant ask you to go see twilight and really expect you to want to go see that. they have no right holding this against you. my gf doesnt even bother asking me to go see movies like that because she knows i have no desire to see it.