Scott Laughton

Guest flyercanuck

The Oshawa Generals came into Barrie last night to play the Colts. Scott Laughton led the way on a goal and 2 assists in a 3-1 Generals win. He played a fast paced hard checking game every shift. He's a tenacious hound without the puck and has excellent hockey smarts with it. He makes great passes, has a good shot and can skate. He's either going to have to get bigger or pick his spots as far as hitting goes in the NHL, he does it a lot and it will take it's toll against bigger stronger players.

Colin Suellentrop is another Flyer pick on the Gennies. Did I mention Laughton had 3 points?

Colin Suellentrop is another Flyer pick on the Gennies. Did I mention Laughton had 3 points?

I was thinking a couple of days ago about the Flyers draft (especially about "ghost"). I kind of lamented the Laughton pick, but the more I here (and especially from first handers like you) about him, it seems he is cut from the Flyer cloth. What I would ask (sans the dirtiness and position), how do you compare him to a Downie??

Three players we have to look forward too:

1) Ghost (too lazy to look up his real name spelling)- D (3rd Round)

2) Nick Cousins- C (2nd rounder)

3) Scott Laughton- C (1st rounder)

There is obviously a big problem looming sooner than later for the Flyers (should the NHL ever play a game again) and that is too many centers.

Briere will be done or playing wing by the time Cousins / Laughton lace up for the Flyers, but there is Giroux, Schenn (who I think is going to move to wing) and Coots. If Schenn moves to wing, your centermen become:

1) Giroux

2) Coots

3) Cousins / Laughton

I like the tenacity that I am reading about both Cousins and Laughton. The big question is it appropriate that either of those guys are relegated to fourth line center? Neither seems destined for that role. You mentioned Laughton size, he is 6'1, so perhaps he just needs to put on some beef.

I'm not sure if Cousins game will translate to the NHL or not. He's got the pest thing going for him (not my favorite trait, but it works) but will have to deal with bigger, stronger players getting pissed off at him.

Laughton is cut more from the Richards cloth than Downie. He plays hard, not overly dirty.I know he was suspended for ten games but the OHL doesn't put up with those type of hits no matter what.

I'm looking forward to seeing Gostisbehere playing. I wish he was bigger though. It's a lot easier being a small forward than defenceman.Timonen is a freak.

@Vanflyer I'm still wondering if Brendan Gaunce would have been a better pick for the org than Laughton, although I do think they will both make fine players. Gaunce went a few picks later to the Canucks last summer. Little bigger than Scott, although I think Laughts skates a *bit* better. Think Gaunce seperated his shoulder early on this year, so his stats are screwed up because of it.

1) Ghost (too lazy to look up his real name spelling)- D (3rd Round)

not to take this too off topic but see the hockeybuzz clip on USA players trying to spell their teammates names at the bottom portion of the blog. Gotisbehere as one of them.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Julie-Robenhymer/USA-Selection-Camp-Noesen-Goes-Home/99/47978

@Vanflyer I'm still wondering if Brendan Gaunce would have been a better pick for the org than Laughton, although I do think they will both make fine players. Gaunce went a few picks later to the Canucks last summer. Little bigger than Scott, although I think Laughts skates a *bit* better. Think Gaunce seperated his shoulder early on this year, so his stats are screwed up because of it.

I really honestly truly think if they weren't going to pick Laughton they should have picked Maata. We've got centers coming out of our ying yangs. We've got a center picked 5th overall playing wing. Our defensive prospects are about as thin as any NHL team. Maata, who was thought to go top 10 falls to us and we take...a center. And you wanted another one?

By the way, Maata (who's offence is supposed to be his weak point) has about as many points already as he had all last year. Doesn't seem that long ago I was asking you what you thought the Knights problem was why they were underachieving so much. Whatever it was, it's gone now..

I really honestly truly think if they weren't going to pick Laughton they should have picked Maata. We've got centers coming out of our ying yangs. We've got a center picked 5th overall playing wing. Our defensive prospects are about as thin as any NHL team. Maata, who was thought to go top 10 falls to us and we take...a center. And you wanted another one?

That was my view at the time, but I changed my mind and am just fine with Scott.

But Maatta is showing that he was deserving of that top-10 talk and was prolly a bit of a steal even 10 or more spots later. Some say Laughton woulda been there for us in the 2nd round, but I think that extremely unlikely. He would have gone in that 24-36 range precisely because of his Mike Richards-like qualities. I think he could be better actually. Not sure how he is with media or with bangin' broads :ph34r:

By the way, Maata (who's offence is supposed to be his weak point) has about as many points already as he had all last year. Doesn't seem that long ago I was asking you what you thought the Knights problem was why they were underachieving so much. Whatever it was, it's gone now..

I've watched Maatta closely for 3 years now and ended up drafting him in fantasy. He has underrated/unappreciated offensive instincts IMO. I'm very interested in seeing how he plays in Ufa against the best U20s in the world on the big stage.

Edited by Podein25

@flyercanuck Not taking anything away from Matta, but he is on a really great team and a heads up a terrific power play. If London is not the best team in the CHL right now, they have to be top 3...(I see Barrie is #8, congrats...wow, they bounced back quick, a sign of superior managment). I think he will be fine as a offensive contributor in the NHL, but don't think he will be a top pp d man, he will be a solid all round guy who kicks in 25 pts or so. Didn't necessarily want Gaunce over Matta, but if we were gonna take a center, I was leaning towards Gaunce.

@Podein25

I trust Holmgren because of his first round picks since he's been gm (and I STILL honestly think Giroux is his pick). But until I'm proven wrong, I take maata over Laughton all day long. That's no knock on Laughton, I really like his game. I just think Maata is going to be a top pairing Dman, Laughton will likely be a 3rd or 4th liner, we're stacked at centre and we NEED defence.