What if *this gets to.....Null and Void?

Guest hf101

NHL will seek to cancel contracts if NHLPA dissolves

The NHL has a poison pill in its lawsuit against the NHL Players' Association.

If the union is successful in winning its disclaimer of interest and then going the route of dissolution, then the NHL wants all contracts signed by the players deemed null and void.

"The NHL requests a declaration that, if the NHLPA's decertification or disclaimer were not deemed invalid by the NLRB, and the collective bargaining relationship between the parties were not otherwise to continue, all existing contracts between NHL players and NHL teams (known as Standard Player's Contracts or "SPCs") would be void and unenforceable," wrote the league.

A source close to the union said the NHL might want to be careful about having success on this front.

"Of interest in the court filings is the NHL's request if it loses on the legality of the lockout to have all player contracts nullified and declared void," said the source.

"So, the NHL is asking the courts to declare every NHL player an unrestricted free agent. I wonder how Pittsburgh would feel with (Sidney) Crosby, (Evgeni) Malkin and (Marc-Andre) Fleury on the free agent market to sign with the highest bidder? What about Tampa with (Steve) Stamkos? Or Minnesota with (Zach) Parise and (Ryan) Suter? A word of caution to the NHL, be very careful what you wish for."

Fantasy Hockey at its very best. " With the Flyers' first pick .......they choose ???

Jonathan Quick :D

If a few teams are eliminated.....wow, ........ *this could really be fun. You would think they would have to do a complete lottery with the entire NHL for draft order......but then if they were all Free Agents ??..... oh, crazy stuff.

I'll assume all players on Entry level contracts playing in the AHL would still count as part of a teams resources.

I actually wouldn't mind missing the rest of the season just to witness *this.

I am still waiting for one of the eight that keep Bettman in power to come to their senses. They are running out of time though.........If the owners were to succeed in nullifying the contracts, the NHL ceases to exist. You WILL see a new league form and it will probably take 2 years until the first game would be played due to figuring out the contraction/draft/pay scales/rules. Even Jeremy Jacobs can't be dumb enough to allow this to go on much longer.........or maybe he can.....

the smell of desperation from both sides is getting overwhelming.

But this latest move from the League/owners - like "punishing" teams for offering and signing legal contracts which were then approved by the League - is simply jibber-jabbering insane.

I sense a theme here - the owners continually seek to wriggle out of the deals they offered and signed "in good faith."

I wouldn't by a used car from any of these jokers.

@radoran " I sense a theme here - the owners continually seek to wriggle out of the deals they offered and signed "in good faith.""

Makes sense...how many of us wondered how certain teams would make it work with outrageous contracts paid out and so much more being allotted to younger guys coming up....they were told behind the scenes..."don't worry, we have a plan to weasel out of these come CBA time"....these weasels operated in bad faith from the start. How does a business even get *this* dirty?!?! What they planned/are planning is unforgiveable. It's the kind of bad faith that can permantely fracture two specific units. There comes a point where you just can't trust or respect who you are working for....we are real close to that breaking point.

@hf101 HA HA...this is our chance 101, even the Flyers can't mess it up when every team gets a crack at every player...LOL! Sign Quick to a 5 year max deal, sign G to a near max deal, and fill in the roster with competent players...and oh yeah, sign Weber again....ha ha!

@hf101 HA HA...this is our chance 101, even the Flyers can't mess it up when every team gets a crack at every player...LOL! Sign Quick to a 5 year max deal, sign G to a near max deal, and fill in the roster with competent players...and oh yeah, sign Weber again....ha ha!

The problem is Ed Snider is one of the great eight whom many players will avoid if such a scenario were ever to come to fruition. ANY Owner that backed Bettman's Power Play will be reviled for years to come. Snider has a chance right now to leave the Power Group and unite the rest of the owners , over throwing Bettman, and put a deal on the table that both sides can live with. Bettman is calling for mutual destruction with his current plan. I can't believe the rest of the League Owners can't see that.

I honestly don't think Snider is courageous enough to pull off what you proposed, but if he did/was, it would go a long way to restoring faith in ownership. You don't grow a business by not playing a full year 2 or 3 times a decade....hopefully Snider sees this clearly and the way Betteman negoiates is not good for the sport.

• Like 1

The problem is Ed Snider is one of the great eight whom many players will avoid if such a scenario were ever to come to fruition. ANY Owner that backed Bettman's Power Play will be reviled for years to come. Snider has a chance right now to leave the Power Group and unite the rest of the owners , over throwing Bettman, and put a deal on the table that both sides can live with. Bettman is calling for mutual destruction with his current plan. I can't believe the rest of the League Owners can't see that.

Rod, I guarandamntee you that any kid just starting out in Junior this eyar has no idea who these owners are and will gladly sign whatever contract is offered to them.

Even the top FAs will be bending - as they did with Suter, Parise, etc. - to sign with whoever gives them the most money up front.

There is no honor among theives.

Even the top FAs will be bending - as they did with Suter, Parise, etc. - to sign with whoever gives them the most money up front.

There is no honor among theives.

You think they are going to forgive and forget people who just took millions of dollars from them? I don't think they are going to be quite as forgiving.....

You think they are going to forgive and forget people who just took millions of dollars from them? I don't think they are going to be quite as forgiving.....

Yes, I do.

Evidence: every FA signed in 2005-2006.

This is where the number of zeroes really start to matter. To someone making $50,000 - 20% cut is a serios matter and can be life and death. To someone making $500,000 - it's an inconvenience.

To someone making $5,000,000 - they're in the same boat with the people who are locking out their product in a "fiscally responsible" manner.

And, again, the kids in Junior today? They didn't lose a thing in this lockout.

College, too :ph34r:

Now, if you're asking me if Wayne Simmonds decides a six-year "hometown discount" contract is a good idea when his expires, I'll say "no." But if Jeremy Jacobs offers to sign bigger checks for him, he'll think he looks pretty sharp in black and gold.

Bettman is calling for mutual destruction with his current plan. I can't believe the rest of the League Owners can't see that.

Rod.......I think we on the outside give these bozos a lot more credit for brains than they deserve. Multi-millionaires are more sly than smart.

How would you like the chance to play somebody as dumb as Donald Trump for money in a chess game? He's richer than you, not because of his brains, but because he doesn't care who he screws to make money.

• Like 2

my thoughts exactly :D . Can you imagine how exciting July 1st, 2013 would be?

I'd settle for Rinne just in case Quick prefers to go back to LA. But if a few teams were to fold. Rinne might just want to defend with the Flyers behind his favorite D-man. ;)

I am still waiting for one of the eight that keep Bettman in power to come to their senses. They are running out of time though.........If the owners were to succeed in nullifying the contracts, the NHL ceases to exist. You WILL see a new league form and it will probably take 2 years until the first game would be played due to figuring out the contraction/draft/pay scales/rules. Even Jeremy Jacobs can't be dumb enough to allow this to go on much longer.........or maybe he can.....

I think a new season would depend a lot on the how the courts rule. But I could see the owners doing everything possible to get the NHL back for the 2013-14 season. Hopefully it doesn't come to that though. I do think it is up to the players though to come up with a proposal the NHL will accept to end this for any season to take place in Jan.