2013 World Junior Championships

Guest Podein25

Thanks. I went to USAHockey. My point was really why doesn't TSN online provide more global tournament info and not so centric just to team Canada? For example, it would be great to see and article summarizing all the top ranked prospects from each team participating.

In all fairness to TSN, Canada for the most part is the only country who cares about this tournament. But it IS a tournament, and not just a team. I'm sure once the games matter, their coverage will improve.

Stefan Matteau, Brady Skjei cut from US WJC team. One more cut to come. Jake McCabe named team capt. Jones, Trouba, Miller, Bardreau get A'sStefan Matteau, Brady Skjei cut from US WJC team. One more cut to come. Jake McCabe named team capt. Jones, Trouba, Miller, Bardreau get A's

Matteau and Skjei were the Rangers and Devils first round picks.

Two games under their collective belts and neither Canada nor the US has figured out they have to play disciplined hockey if either wants to contend. Plenty of stupid penalties (Dougie Hamilton...seriously?) by both and they won't be getting any better calls in Ufa. Binnington looks like the man (as he has all season) for Canada.

• Like 1

Stefan Matteau, Brady Skjei cut from US WJC team. One more cut to come. Jake McCabe named team capt. Jones, Trouba, Miller, Bardreau get A'sStefan Matteau, Brady Skjei cut from US WJC team. One more cut to come. Jake McCabe named team capt. Jones, Trouba, Miller, Bardreau get A's

Matteau and Skjei were the Rangers and Devils first round picks.

Echo

@flyercanuck

I'm not liking the makeup of the (Canadian) team. Hard to judge based on two exhibition games, but in addition to all the penalties they are taking, they don't seem to have much grit to their game. They got pushed around by the Finns, and against the Swedes nobody went near the net. Way too much play on the periphery.

It looks like Spott went with speed and skill, but I fear we're all gonna be wishing he kept a guy like Tom Wilson around once the tournament is under way.

@Podein25

I'm certainly not seeing much of a 'team" so far. Like you said, it's 2 exhibition games, but considering it's a rare year we have all our juniors, they're not overly impressive. Jenner is definately a big loss if he gets suspended. He can hit, and score. Hope they get their collective act together.

Jenner is definitely a big loss if he gets suspended.

And kill penalties :angry:

Sounds like he'll get at least a game. He's a repeat offender, which won't help him. I love Jenner. Saw him here vs the Ruskies in November and he was maybe the best player on the ice that night. Hudon was the other guy who I thought was good that night, and he's apparently injured (didn't play vs Sweden). So maybe McNeil comes in.

But like you say, they don't look to have any team cohesion or identity yet. Early days though...

@flyercanuck It looks like Team Canada has big decision to make, they can replace Jenner on the roster...which makes him inelgible for the rest of the tourny, or they can go one man short and add him when the 3 games are up...I'd go with the latter. Two of the three games are against weak team (Germany and Slovakia), he's miss the USA game and be back for Russia....a gamble worth taking. Once the games start to mean something, he'll be back....will suck having him out for the USA showdown, but we have the depth to overcome this. He's just to valuable all round to not have him there in medal games.

Edit, just read Jenner will not be taken off the roster, smart move.

@hf101

Thanks...I thought it might be worse. The hit was really only about a second after the pass. But that's about half a second late. And the IIHF doesn't even like hitting.

Maybe the suspension should have been worse, Patterson suffered a broken wrist and a dislocated shoulder on the play.

@Podein25 ha ha....*most* of the calls have been of the cheesy non-manly variety, but he was really late with no sign of the puck, could have held up, but sure it was more of a bang, bang thing in the heat of the battle.

The refs (as per usual in international stuff) have pussified this tourny once again. Also, as per usual, the Canadians need to push the envelope, right to the edge, to maintain a physical superiority without a parade to the penalty box. I find the first few minutes is a testing ground from ref to ref, if they call it strict, they better be on the best behavior or suffer the consequences.

These next few games will be blow outs, but hopefully they use them to their advantage, learning about ref tendencies and international play in general. It's a whole different ball game on that side of the pond, Canada has only won Gold in Russia once I believe, so as good as this team is, it has history stacked against it.

@hf101 Yeah, unless you're a hard core Team Canada fan, that game was not much fun to watch. Only 2 buddies showed up, so not a big gathering, but I was dosing off throughout the game also, had to rewatch it later to really process it...ha ha. The top line was not only skill wise dominant, bu physically dominant also. What size RNH gives up, Huberdeau and Mark S make up for it in spades. They were toying with the weaker German squad. I do think this particular German squad is a bit stronger than previous enteries, and didn't start their top goalie. Will be interesting to see how many the U.S puts up against them tomorrow.

A nice win but the D needs to tighten up. Subban is OK and I believe in not changing goalies like underwear but he sure doesn't look as steady as Binnington. The top line looks awesome but then again it was zee germans.

Yakupov starts off the tournament whining that Canadians are dirty, then he pulls an invisible act against the Slovaks. Meanwhile his team needs OT to beat them cause one of his teammates crosschecks a guy IN THE FACE with a couple of minutes left in the game. Same ol' Russians.

@jammer2

hmmm....... So then Germany plays their top goalie against the Americans????

both Gibson and Gillies get the shutout. Gostisbehere with a pp goal. Galchenyuk with 3 points.

The USA uses their speed and their defense and isn't a one line team. USA a top of group B ;)

@hf101 Just watching the re-play right now. Speaking in generalities (have not watched the whole game, kinda in and out of the room) the U.S looks faster and more positionally sound than Team Canada did against the Germans. Don't think the goalie switch made to much of a difference, but ya never know.

In a earlier discussion with you, I wondered why Rocco Grimaldi did not have an A this year. Turns out, he was the last cut 2 years ago, made the team last year but got replaced due to injury, so this is his first actual WJC. That shocked me, have heard his name for years in regards to international play. Just a little guy, but I think he makes the NHL dispite his 5'6 height. Great speed and moves from Rocco....and his trademark hard work.

Very interesting to note, the U.S *still* has not made final cuts. Apparently it's down to 2 d-men, so the Spitfires Patrick Sieloff (who did not dress against the Germans, the U.S went with 6 d-men) will have to sit and wait another day to see if his dreams come true, or if he will be crushed. I would reccomend the U.S keep Sieloff. He hits like a truck, and is capable of taking any opponent out with a clean legit open ice hit. Patrick is one of the best open ice hitters in the OHL.

Thought Ghost looked great out there. Lots of poise, quick correct decisions on the point, and his skating, both forwards and backwards looks smooth....looks like a nice legit prospect, kudos to the Flyers scouting staff for spotting this guy.

@jammer2

Very interesting to note, the U.S *still* has not made final cuts.

They made their final cuts. http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/story/?id=412359

The U.S. World Junior team finalized its roster on Friday by selecting a defenceman for the 23rd roster position.

USA Hockey announced on Friday that Windsor Spitfires blueliner Patrick Sieloff was chosen over Matt Grzelcyk from Boston University for the seventh spot on the American blue line.

The United States team took the unusual step of waiting till after their opening contest against Germany, an 8-0 victory for the Americans, before making a decision on adding either the physical presence of Sieloff or the offensive skills of Grzelcyk.

This season with the Spitfires, Sieloff, who was selected in the second round and 42nd overall of the 2012 NHL Draft by the Calgary Flames, has nine points and 69 penalty minutes in 34 games.

I'll have to pay more attention to Grimaldi, I didn't really notice him today. And I think the Ghost will make an excellent Timo replacement someday. Now if the Flyers can somehow find a way to draft Seth Jones......

Edited by hf101
added quote and ref
  • Like 1