Should Binnington Get a Chance?

It's a Canadian Game

4 members have voted

1. 1. Should Jordan Binnington get some playing time in either of Canada's next two games?

Canada is 2 games deep into the World Junior Championship and they have started with wins over Germany and Slovakia with scores 9-3 and 6-3. So far Subban has started both games (with the likelihood of playing out the entire tournament) and has allowed 3 goals on 28 shots in both games with a save percentage under .900. Subban has yet to look like the same goalie that fans have seen in Belleville this year. He had a shaky camp, putting up the worst numbers of the three goalies in camp. So, with his lack-luster performance to date is it too late to give Jordan Binnington (who looked good in his tune-up game against Sweden) or is it too late to bring him in now that Canada's final two games are against strong American and Russian teams?

I haven't been sold on Subban since the tournament started. I haven't seen anything yet that makes me think he's our best bet in goal. He's been ok, but we aren't winning gold with "ok" goaltending. I really hoped they'd play Binnington this morning and then decide who runs with this thing. But it sure looks like it's do or die with Subban. Hopefully he plays better, but so far it's just been more of the same.

• Like 1

I think if Canada wanted to give Binnington some ice-time they would have let him start the 3rd period of the CAN - GER game. as the USA did when Gillies came out to start the third. Or as flyercanuck said he should have started against Slovakia.

Unless Subban is ill or looks shakey I don't think you will see Binnington. I think most teams will go with one tender as long as he is playing up to standards.

Yeah, not really sold on Subban, he has looked shakey at times, and better teams are coming, faster shots, more 2-1's etc...I dunno, Binnington may have been the wiser choice. Subban looks more athletic, but gets out of positon quicker and does not have the poise of Binnington.

• Like 1

Subban looked like OHL Subban out there finally. He would have had the shutout but for a somewhat lucky goal in the 3rd (good play by Trouba to stay on it, but had some luck there as well) If he plays like that the rest of the way, gold is ours to lose. I know, it's only one game. But that looked more like Subban than the previous 2 games. And his athleticism came up huge on a couple of great saves.