Flyers Retired Numbers

Guest AlaskaFlyerFan

When did they change the retired numbers banners in the Wells Fargo Center?

1st picture: This is what the banners looked like in the Spectrum. I assume they are in order of when they were retired.

2nd picture: This is what they look like in the Wells Fargo Center when Mark Howe's number was retired:

3rd picture: And now the banners have been changed to this:

EDIT: the pictures didn't post in the positions I wanted them to but they are in order.

post-112-0-85465800-1356750614_thumb.jpg

post-112-0-34724000-1356751177_thumb.jpg

post-112-0-65736200-1356751197_thumb.jpg

@AlaskaFlyerFan

Interesting: No banners for the conference finalists of 1985, 1987, 1997, and 2010?

@hf101,

Maybe those banners are in an area that is out of the picture, like on the other side of the scoreboard.

Back to the retired numbers: I like the original banners. The new ones show 4 of the 5 players standing around or leaning on the boards. The only one in game action is Howe. Bring back the old banners!!

Maybe those banners are in an area that is out of the picture, like on the other side of the scoreboard.

good point.

I'm not sure when they made the switch AAF but it does appear that Howe was the first banner with his pic on it. So maybe the adjustments were made to the rest following Howe which was March 6, 2012.

http://www.the700level.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/news/Watch-Mark-Howes-Number-Retirement-Cerem?blockID=664642&feedID=8976

ok, that is it. if you read through the first bit of comments of this BSH page. http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2012/3/7/2850812/wednesday-morning-fly-by-how-come-howe-got-his-picture-on-his-banner

you will see a mention that:

"Panaccio just tweeted that all banners will get pics ASAP"

@AlaskaFlyerFan

I have to agree on the new banners, not a fan at all. Number should be on it and that's it, his body isn't being retired, just the damn number!

I might prefer the classic banners better(old school) but I am not against the new ones with pics either. I think it gives some of the young kids seeing them for the first time get a chance to put a face with the numbers.

@AlaskaFlyerFan

Interesting: No banners for the conference finalists of 1985, 1987, 1997, and 2010?

AlaskaFlyerFan is correct. The Wales Conference and Eastern conference banners from the years above are simply hidden. They are definitely there. The Flyers have not forgotten any banners as everything is documented. The only thing they have done is to consolidate all of the Atlantic Division Champions banners into a single banner with line listings of all the years.

@Poulin20 I always thought hanging banners for divisional champions was serious overkill. I understand why it was started, back in the seventies, a divional championship was a big deal, but a time went by, that should have been killed. Consolidating was a good idea, but I'd be ok with them not hanging at all.