I have some questions about Lavy's intelligence ?!

Guest phlfly

Well after less then 15 min in the game Flyers is losing 3-0 to Jets. And why in hell he is putting Bob in the net after he lost pretty much the previous game to Jet in one period. It doesn't matter if Flyers tied a game later, anyway the game was lost already.

What is wrong with the guy(Lavy)?

Of course it's not excuse for Bob, but what a hell.

One of the reasons is because Bryzgalov made some negative remarks while in Phoenix about not wanting to be moved to Winnipeg. And the other is to give Bob a start every 3-4 games. The team just needs to come to the game ready to play.

What remarks were they?

When Phoenix Coyotes goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov was asked why didn't want to move to Winnipeg if the Phoenix Coyotes franchise heads to the Manitoban capital, he responded, "Not many people live there, not many Russian people there. Plus it's cold. There's no excitement except the hockey.

"There's no park, no entertaining for the families, for the kids. It's going to be tough life for your family."

There's no park, no entertaining for the families, for the kids. It's going to be tough life for your family."

If you or I were paid a few million, I think we might be able to provide a few laughs for our family. No matter where we were sent.

And, Winnipeg is not exactly the end of the earth. It's a nice place, with decent people. I'd gladly trade a few frigid days for a chance to raise my kids in a safe place.

I didn't understand the Bobvrosky in net thing either. We are playing a team that has our number and he puts in the back up who sucked last time we played them. I know there is a rotation, but starting Bryz for 4 or 5 in a row wouldn't hurt him.

I didn't understand the Bobvrosky in net thing either. We are playing a team that has our number and he puts in the back up who sucked last time we played them. I know there is a rotation, but starting Bryz for 4 or 5 in a row wouldn't hurt him.

Bryz was worse last time. We have a serviceable (if not decent) backup. Why not keep the starter fresh and the backup somewhat active?

Bob played well, but again the team defense didn't show, and played on the PK for what felt like half of the game.

And, Winnipeg is not exactly the end of the earth. It's a nice place, with decent people. I'd gladly trade a few frigid days for a chance to raise my kids in a safe place.

i think there are a lot of places where kids can be raised safely, then again I moved away from northern Minnesota for a reason.

Winnipeg is a great place, the type of people I met up there were just like Philly,Delaware Valley types.Bryz has to learn that unlike his native country, in North America we are all connected via the media,etc..

Winnipeg may be a great place...if you are a polar bear. The guy merely spoke his true feelings on the subject. I would not go there (to live) if I had the option. Very few friends, only your own family, non existent Russian community. It probably seemed to him like he was being sent to Siberia. If you have not noticed by now, Bryz is a straight shooter when it comes to the media. That is why the Flyers tried to put a gag on him.

Winnipeg may be a great place...if you are a polar bear. The guy merely spoke his true feelings on the subject. I would not go there (to live) if I had the option. Very few friends, only your own family, non existent Russian community. It probably seemed to him like he was being sent to Siberia. If you have not noticed by now, Bryz is a straight shooter when it comes to the media. That is why the Flyers tried to put a gag on him.

Ok, there are no polar bears. How many friends does anyone have in a new city anywhere until they make some? I mean you're going to have few friends and family in Philly as much as Winnipeg, no? Or anywhere else for that matter? Non existant Russian community? I call bs on that one. I think it's the fastest growing community there. He bailed for the money.

It probably seemed to him like he was being sent to Siberia.

Not to pick on you, Rod, but this is one of the biggest generalized, stereotyped and distorted viewpoints that have been passed around. I know quite a few Russian-born in Siberia and what I've heard is that other than a bitterly cold weather (and even that's just during winter time), there are some real neat places (Irkutsk, Habarovsk, Omsk, Krasnoyarks) over there with plenty of entertainment, sightseeing, and a generally fun way of life that a city offers. I also heard landscapes, mountains and lakes are quite breathtaking.

I think if given a choice to pick where he would want to play, Bryzgalov might actually choose some of those cities over Winnipeg.

Edited by Mad Dog

Winnipeg is still great! I'm from So. Jersey(my entire life) and I used to fly a lot,so I always had to go through customs.Flying from Philly to Winnipeg was like driving over the Ben Franklin Bridge.(Duck Soup) The people were great,there was a big difference in the exchange rate,Canada is a nice experience,life goes on up there cold or not. The last time I visited,it was 27 below.The amazing thing were FREE,yes free oil heater receptacles to plug you vehicle in,everywhere!

Well after less then 15 min in the game Flyers is losing 3-0 to Jets. And why in hell he is putting Bob in the net after he lost pretty much the previous game to Jet in one period. It doesn't matter if Flyers tied a game later, anyway the game was lost already.

What is wrong with the guy(Lavy)?

Of course it's not excuse for Bob, but what a hell.

I think he was making a statement that it was not bob's fault. The team was just plain **** in front of him. Why pull bob and shake his confidence further that way.

It's very hard to question the guys intelligence on these kind of judgement calls during the season because we don't know what's going on behind the scenes. It's a long season and sometimes they lose a few battles, but lavy is looking at the big picture. They lost that game in the first period, damage was done, no need to damage bob's confidence anymore.

I did some work in Winnipeg a few years ago, and had a great time -- but that is what happens when you can talk hockey, lacrosse and drink at pace with the locals :)

I also found it to be a very honest place, especially with the greeting/apology to travelers about the (old) Winnipeg airport when going through passport control and customs.

I don't buy it was entirely becasue of comments he made to the media... Maybe it was trying to let Bob get a do-over for the last time. Maybe it was to prevent a "lost in the woods" comment...

I mean, do we sit Pronger when visiting Edmonton?

Ok, there are no polar bears. How many friends does anyone have in a new city anywhere until they make some? I mean you're going to have few friends and family in Philly as much as Winnipeg, no? Or anywhere else for that matter? Non existant Russian community? I call bs on that one. I think it's the fastest growing community there. He bailed for the money.

1) The polar bear remark was in reference to the temperature there. I moved to Florida because I did not care for Pennsylvania winters much less the frigid temps they experience in Winnipeg.

2) I can't argue that the money was not a factor but I don't think it was the only factor. I was taking his remarks for the basis of my post.

Not to pick on you, Rod, but this is one of the biggest generalized, stereotyped and distorted viewpoints that have been passed around. I know quite a few Russian-born in Siberia and what I've heard is that other than a bitterly cold weather (and even that's just during winter time), there are some real neat places (Irkutsk, Habarovsk, Omsk, Krasnoyarks) over there with plenty of entertainment, sightseeing, and a generally fun way of life that a city offers. I also heard landscapes, mountains and lakes are quite breathtaking.

I think if given a choice to pick where he would want to play, Bryzgalov might actually choose some of those cities over Winnipeg.

The Siberia remark was a movie cliche reference...not meant to be literal. I guess I should have used Gulag......