The real reason why Shelley is still on the Flyers Roster

Guest hf101

-Adrian Dater, the fine Avalanche beat writer from the Denver Post, asked Peter Laviolette today if he thought the art of the slapshot from a hard skating winger down the wall was a lost art. Lavvy had one gem of a response:

“I think the last real good one that we had, an old school, old-fashioned, slap drive was Jody Shelley’s in Atlanta last season,” Laviolette said. “It was world class, down the wing, blow it by you. It was epic. “Now, there’s time and space and gaps and everybody’s quick to defend and reloads are hard from behind, but he blocked a shot, got out of the defensive zone and down the wing and he was moving fast and hard and he just wound up and ripped it top shelf. It was a thing of beauty.”

-Adrian Dater, the fine Avalanche beat writer from the Denver Post, asked Peter Laviolette today if he thought the art of the slapshot from a hard skating winger down the wall was a lost art. Lavvy had one gem of a response:

“I think the last real good one that we had, an old school, old-fashioned, slap drive was Jody Shelley’s in Atlanta last season,” Laviolette said. “It was world class, down the wing, blow it by you. It was epic. “Now, there’s time and space and gaps and everybody’s quick to defend and reloads are hard from behind, but he blocked a shot, got out of the defensive zone and down the wing and he was moving fast and hard and he just wound up and ripped it top shelf. It was a thing of beauty.”

Please tell me that is NOT an actual quote??!!!

Didn't Hartnell do that earlier this season on Miller? About four minutes after JVR had done exactly the same thing?

Didn't Hartnell do that earlier this season on Miller? About four minutes after JVR had done exactly the same thing?

honestly I don't remember, but then, those shots clearly did not make a lasting impression on Laviolette either. ;)

honestly I don't remember, but then, those shots clearly did not make a lasting impression on Laviolette either. ;)

I remember them quite clearly. Two goals on Miller in the first two minutes with JVR powering down the boards and launching a slap shot to beat Miller high glove side just under the crossbar.

A few minutes later Hartnell comes down the same side and from virtually the same position - he later said "I saw JVR do it" (paraphrase) - and beat Miller again, chasing him from the game.

If Laviolette is going to a Shelley slap shot, it's for a purpose.

I just wish his goal calls didn't all sound like they were proud of the puppy's accomplishments.

"Oh, look at Jody Shelley and the nice shiny goal he found!"

It's a nice goal. Against Atlanta. Last season.

JVR & Hartnell beat Miller. Last month.

OK, to give credit where due - and I did look this up - Shelley had the first goal of a 5-2 win, so it was a meaningful score.

JVR & Hartnell were 2 and 3 in 7 minutes against Ryan Miller.

I'll go with the latter if not trying to build a guy up for the waiver wire...

JVRs would have been a slapper had he heeded Holmgrens advice and played junior.

I cannot help but think this is why he is the way he is with regard to effort over a long grind of a season... juniors is an intense indoctrination into hockey life, you just do not get the same experiences at an american university. especially at UNH where there is much research on hemp and it's benefits to society.

i think had he played junior he'd have already experienced some of the growing pains we're seeing at the NHL level. that he's stuck with the big club tells you how much talent he must have. you said somewhere else that you'd take hard work over talent and i agree to a point. i remember those Lindros and post Lindros era teams putting 35-40 a night on net and losing to teams taking 22 shots, i'll take some talent too work habits can be learned talent cannot.

The real reason he is still on the roster is they both played in Johnstown, PA in the famed Cambria County War Memorial

Holmgren was there for a few game when the J-town Jets were the Minnesota fighting saints farm team (slapshot era) NAHL- Firebirds era

Shelley started there too during the 90's in the ECHL

Holmgren had a 30 goal season on Linsemans wing may have been the first USA born player to reach that plateau

Dont think Shelly would have had 30 on Gretzkys line

Dont think Shelly would have had 30 on Gretzkys line

Jody "Slap Shot" Shelley has 18 career goals. In 609 games.

I don't think his linemates matter at all.

Come to think of it, that means that of 18 career goals, 1/6 of them made a longstanding impression on the Flyers' General Manager and Coach.