Bryzgalov leaves KHL team - Reasons unclear....

Digityman

Ilya Bryzgalov signed with CSKA Moscow of the KHL when the lockout began and said he thought some players might like it so much that they would consider staying after the lockout ended. The Flyers netminder won't be one of them.

On Sunday it was announced that Bryzgalov was leaving CSKA after playing in 12 games. That bit of news is mildly intriguing, but many players have already left their temporary lockout teams. It's why he's leaving that's the interesting part.

Bryzgalov, who is hardly ever shy about saying what he thinks and is as good and honest a quote as you will find in the NHL, gave a pretty good reason as translated by Ruslan Salikhov of Russian Hockey Digest.

Ruslan Salikhov@rushockey - I should re-frase that - Ilya Bryzgalov: "I quit CSKA because lockout is ending"

30 Dec 12

Does Bryzgalov know something we don't know? Most likely the answer is no. The drop-dead date is just a matter of weeks away at this point and talks have rekindled between the NHL and the players in their attempt to reach a new CBA. Like many, Bryzgalov probably can't foresee the season being completely lost and is merely expecting the lockout to end.

Either that or Bryzgalov didn't say that at all. Considering he rarely tweets, when he does it draws a little more attention, particularly when it's an emphatic denial.

@bryzgoalie30 - This article is complete BS, i did not make any comments like that:-)Bryz leaves Russia because "lockout is ending"

30 Dec 12

So there could be another reason at play. Bryzgalov never seemed to be completely welcome in Moscow. He was a healthy scratch a few times and struggled some early in the season before finding his groove in the past few weeks and rounding into form. But by now we know what Bryzgalov is like -- he is the stereotypical "weird" goalie -- and apparently he rubbed Sergei Fedorov's CSKA organization the wrong way.

That's to say the decision wasn't Bryzgalov's but CSKA's. That's according to Slava Malamud of Sport-Express.

Slava Malamud - @SlavaMalamud Bryzgalov has indeed worn out his welcome in CSKA. The move is the club's, not the goalie's. #Flyers to do something like this next?

30 Dec 12

Most likely it's a bit of both reports. Almost everybody is expecting the lockout to end in the near future so both sides figured it might be best to part ways now. After all, the KHL will go on when the NHL returns and for a team like CSKA it might be best to move on now and remove whatever distraction an NHL player like Bryzgalov might have presented.

Then again, Pavel Datsyuk and Mikhail Grabovski are still with CSKA at this point, so maybe that's not it.

(Just for clarification's sake in case you were wondering, the second half of Malamud's tweet is referring to the possibility of the Flyers using an amnesty buyout on Bryzgalov.)

Whatever the reason, Bryzgalov is done with the KHL for now. He leaves having appeared in those 12 games with a 6-5-0 record, 2.13 GAA and .913 save percentage. He also had a chance to dress up like a cosmonaut so all in all it probably wasn't that awful of an experience.

Except for this. This was pretty awful (but hilarious).

Source
  • Like 1

He had to put up some pretty good games to get over the horrendous start he had for CSKA.

Don't worry, though, once the Flyers buy out Bryz, they've got a Cup-winning netminder ready for a massive contract.

Nikolai Khabibulin's deal expires with Edmonton after this season...

:ph34r:

I would be doing cartwheels at the prospect of getting rid of this stiff. We may suffer in the long run, maybe quite a while till we find a legit replacement, but I'd much rather have a few years of suffering than have him play out the contract and screwing us long term. If it walks like a duck....

• Like 1

Then again, Pavel Datsyuk and Mikhail Grabovski are still with CSKA at this point, so maybe that's not it.

no mystery - these guys can actually play the game, they're assets to the team.

Bryzgalov on the other hand - maybe he doesn't completely suck all the time... but obviously he's a major primma donna and a head case, way beyond the normal "all goalies are head cases" concept. I guess [once again] he's become a distraction to his team. Since he can't compensate for that with stellar or even above-average goaltending...well, no mystery why he's been asked to leave.

He had to put up some pretty good games to get over the horrendous start he had for CSKA.

Don't worry, though, once the Flyers buy out Bryz, they've got a Cup-winning netminder ready for a massive contract.

Nikolai Khabibulin's deal expires with Edmonton after this season...

:ph34r:

If there is a season then Bryzgalov has a 48 game tryout to keep the contract he has. So after all of the crap he's been thru this year it will be interesting to see how he plays. I'm sure he realizes that he could be a buyout candidate and a stronger possibility that he won't find another job in the NHL that pays him the money that the Flyers are paying him. As for the Bulin Wall, he can't be any worse than Bryzgalov but on an one year deal. But there is Backstrom out of Minnesota or other possible options.

but I'd much rather have a few years of suffering than have him play out the contract and screwing us long term

so right Jammer. and if there's obvious potential there the suffering won't be so bad. Pelle had his share of off nights and ugly moments. Gems like him don't come along very often but we'll never luck into one going the way we are now...

pleaseplease new CBA = one GetOuttaJailFree card...please. Then we can unload this jackassclown we've got and start fresh.

I know I've beaten this subject to death but I still can't get over the Flyers' incredible shortsightedness (stupidity) ditching Bob the way they did. He showed tremendous natural ability and instinct for the position, esp for a 19-year old who couldn't speak the language. I know not everyone was convinced but wasn't he worth rolling the dice on? Jeez. The Flyers gave him one season, 60-odd games and a handful of starts his 2nd year...and that was it.

okay sorry. Bob rant over//

I know I've beaten this subject to death but I still can't get over the Flyers' incredible shortsightedness (stupidity) ditching Bob the way they did. He showed tremendous natural ability and instinct for the position, esp for a 19-year old who couldn't speak the language. I know not everyone was convinced but wasn't he worth rolling the dice on? Jeez. The Flyers gave him one season, 60-odd games and a handful of starts his 2nd year...and that was it.

okay sorry. Bob rant over//

For a team owned by a purportedly "hardline" owner in these CBA negotiations to have made such ridiculosly short-sighted moves as the Flyers have seems, at best, curious to me.

They effectively gained nothing in the Bobrovsky deal - pending a 2nd and 2 4ths, obviously. But the deal handcuffed them to Leighton in the short term so unless that second rounder is a diamond in the rough, it was still a silly deal - given the team's position on the lockout/negotiations.

Either Ed was convinced Bryzgalov would lead the Flyers to the Cup last season - or - he figured all along he'd advocate for a buyout clause come Sept 2012....and he'd use it for Brzygalov. Snider doesn't mind spending money, his own and anybody else's who has an interest in the Flyers.

Either Ed was convinced Bryzgalov would lead the Flyers to the Cup last season - or - he figured all along he'd advocate for a buyout clause come Sept 2012....and he'd use it for Brzygalov. Snider doesn't mind spending money, his own and anybody else's who has an interest in the Flyers.

$16.5M for two seasons of mediocre goaltending? That was a "plan"?

Why not just light a giant pile of money on fire instead? ;)

• Like 1

$16.5M for two seasons of mediocre goaltending? That was a "plan"?

Why not just light a giant pile of money on fire instead? ;)

that's the next bright idea I'm sure. Once it's down to Leighton that pile o' fire is going to look better and better. Set it in the crease and see if that helps keep the puck out of the net!

Seriously though I don't think it was "a plan" at all it was what the Flyers do. It's what was available once you decide your Russian rookie is a worthless bust. The FA goalies at the time ... Vokoun, Backstrom i think, etc. - didn't mean a thing to Ed and The Boys. They had just one guy in their sights: Ilya Bryzgalov.

Once you eliminate Bob from consideration - and you're the Flyers' Brain Trust - what do you do? You go for the highest-profile guy available. I'm afraid Aziz was right back then, signing Bryzgalov was all about PR and [almost] nothing about goaltending, about hockey. That's why I'm sure Vokoun never even got a 2nd look: he doesn't have his name on the Cup and he's a quiet guy - exactly the opposite from what Ed thought he needed.

So either he and Comcast blow a ton of money for nothing - OR - Brzygalov and the Flyers win the Cup and everybody is a hero. It's not a completely insane proposition as long as you really don't care about the money (which I'm convinced is true for Snider, esp now in his later years). Just maybe Bryzgalov jumps right into the position and leads the team to Stanley Cup Heaven his first year. A long shot? Sure but not much more than most teams'.

that's the next bright idea I'm sure. Once it's down to Leighton that pile o' fire is going to look better and better. Set it in the crease and see if that helps keep the puck out of the net!

Seriously though I don't think it was "a plan" at all it was what the Flyers do. It's what was available once you decide your Russian rookie is a worthless bust. The FA goalies at the time ... Vokoun, Backstrom i think, etc. - didn't mean a thing to Ed and The Boys. They had just one guy in their sights: Ilya Bryzgalov.

Once you eliminate Bob from consideration - and you're the Flyers' Brain Trust - what do you do? You go for the highest-profile guy available. I'm afraid Aziz was right back then, signing Bryzgalov was all about PR and [almost] nothing about goaltending, about hockey. That's why I'm sure Vokoun never even got a 2nd look: he doesn't have his name on the Cup and he's a quiet guy - exactly the opposite from what Ed thought he needed.

So either he and Comcast blow a ton of money for nothing - OR - Brzygalov and the Flyers win the Cup and everybody is a hero. It's not a completely insane proposition as long as you really don't care about the money (which I'm convinced is true for Snider, esp now in his later years). Just maybe Bryzgalov jumps right into the position and leads the team to Stanley Cup Heaven his first year. A long shot? Sure but not much more than most teams'.

I'm on board with everything except the idea that Snider was keeping the possibility of a buyout forced by the CBA in his back pocket.

Although, now that I type it out, it doesn't seem so unreasonable...

Vokoun was clearly the choice to make. I agree with aziz they went "big" with the name and the deal to "show they were serious" about signing a goalie.

Because the Flyers always work on the theory that WHOEVER was playing in another jersey last season is, by definition, MUCH better than the jokers who they signed to play in theirs...

I believe the quote was "this will never happen again". It was a reference to the 3 ring circus the Flyer nets had turned into (literally) during the 2011 playoffs. Ed's heart was in the right place. He was the lone human alive with the ability to fix a problem that has hung over our franchise like a dark cloud for decades. Problem is, as we all know, sometimes the solution (esp a long term solution) is not always sitting there waiting to get scooped up. Sometimes patience is needed to fix the problem correctly. If Ed didn't know that then, he certainly knows it now.

Use the amnesty on Bryz...send him packing. Look around the league for options, find a stop gap, maybe Rick Diepeitro gets the axe on the Island (er, Brooklyn...that will take some getting used to huh?) and they sign him to a one year deal....something to that effect. Maybe Tuka Rask comes out looking like a world beater, making Malcom Subban expendable....for the right price. The point is, they would be flying by the seat of their pants a bit, releasing Bryz with no viable option under contract...but there is things that can be done. A lot of guys will become UFA's all at once.

I believe the quote was "this will never happen again". It was a reference to the 3 ring circus the Flyer nets had turned into (literally) during the 2011 playoffs. Ed's heart was in the right place. He was the lone human alive with the ability to fix a problem that has hung over our franchise like a dark cloud for decades. Problem is, as we all know, sometimes the solution (esp a long term solution) is not always sitting there waiting to get scooped up. Sometimes patience is needed to fix the problem correctly. If Ed didn't know that then, he certainly knows it now.

Use the amnesty on Bryz...send him packing. Look around the league for options, find a stop gap, maybe Rick Diepeitro gets the axe on the Island (er, Brooklyn...that will take some getting used to huh?) and they sign him to a one year deal....something to that effect. Maybe Tuka Rask comes out looking like a world beater, making Malcom Subban expendable....for the right price. The point is, they would be flying by the seat of their pants a bit, releasing Bryz with no viable option under contract...but there is things that can be done. A lot of guys will become UFA's all at once.

To be clear, Brooklyn *is* on Longayeland.

Yep, we finally get a goalie who looks like he has potential and we throw him out in the trash...and bring the trash in as our goalie.

12-6-5 2.13, .913

Trading Bob and signing Bryz were awful decisions for reasons other than their respective stats in the KHL.

@radoran "To be clear, Brooklyn *is* on Longayeland."

Really rad? I could have sworn Brooklyn was one of the 5 New York Bourroughs (sp?). So it's on Long Island? Wow, learn something every day huh?

It is one of the Five Burrows (sic). But parts of NYC are actually ON Long Island (Queens and parts of the Bronx as well).

12-6-5 2.13, .913

Trading Bob and signing Bryz were awful decisions for reasons other than their respective stats in the KHL.

Just to be clear, Bryz was not 12-6-5, he played (started) 12 games, compiling a 6-5 record.

Bob has so far played 22 games, compiling a 16-3-2 record.