2 Player Buyout

Guest activestick

It sounds like they will have the buyout option up to the start of next season. So, I would guess that they play Bryz for this shortened season and see how does and then decide what to do. If they cut Bryz immediately, they have no goalie. At least not an NHL level goalie.

@activestick I'm one of those guys who think Danny B is not done, that his numbers will bounce back...but you'd be crazy to at not least entertain the thought of slicing Danny B, going real young and you still have Prongers money (assuming the LTIR rules are not changed....can't see it changing).

• Like 1

@activestick I'm one of those guys who think Danny B is not done, that his numbers will bounce back...but you'd be crazy to at not least entertain the thought of slicing Danny B, going real young and you still have Prongers money (assuming the LTIR rules are not changed....can't see it changing).

Nope sorry after what i have seen in the playoffs with Danny last couple of season he gets a pass.

Byryz and Prongs with out a doubt...

...besides all the crap that Danny has had to put up with, with all the non calls he gets from just wearing the OnB and he takes it up a notch come playoff time especially after the juggling of linemates he's endured...

...every one just needs to acknowledge the pink elephant in the room....

*cough* Iilya *cough*

...never...i believe have i been quicker to judge anyone, yet the more i feel "righter"(if thats a word) about accessment of him, paired with comments about him from X-teamamtes....call it a mulligan...

Oh yeah, I have thought about it and I agree with you. Briere is a big cap hit and you have to consider his salary/productivity ratio. And he is getting on in age. But on the plus side, he flips a switch in the playoffs. The nice thing is that they will have a shortened season and playoffs to evaluate what to do. I doubt they cut anyone till after this season.

I wonder, I just wonder if Nashville would be allowed to cut Webers contract? They would be able to save face by saying that they can't afford him due to the shortened season in a small market.

I really doubt that. That is what the "make whole" is all about. Weber would need to be bought out for the full value remaining on his contract. Something strikes me they would have a difficult time paying that upfront this summer. The original contract was for $114M

What would be ideal for the owners. would be re-negotiated contracts to fit the new cap, but pay the player the difference up front of what is owed after a new contract is constructed. The players get their money and the owners keep their desired players at a lower future cap.

I wonder, I just wonder if Nashville would be allowed to cut Webers contract? They would be able to save face by saying that they can't afford him due to the shortened season in a small market.

Um... why would they do that? If they didn't want to pay him then all they had to do was nothing when he signed the Flyers offer sheet.

Seriously, people need to stop dreaming about Weber. He's not coming to the Flyers. Not until he's old and broken down anyway. By which time there will be a new CBA with a buyout clause which the Flyers can use to buy him out two years after signing him as a free agent.

• Like 3

There's an advantage of this for your squad... if the buyouts aren't available until the next full season, you get half a season for your management to see if Bryzgalov will turn things around or not before giving him the axe. The reason I say this is an advantage is if they had to do it right now, today... they would axe Pronger and you guys would still have Bryz. They're just not going to admit they screwed up after one season with average numbers. Every excuse in the book came up at the end of last season, why would that change now? So after the shortened season if he is still as he's been, they buy him out and you're all happy. If he's what they hoped he would be, you're all happy. Either way you're all happy AFTER the shortened season.

@Polaris922

Short of Bryz pulling a Jon Quick, standing on his head and bringing the cup to Philly, I want this nutcase off the Flyers. It's a rare thing to have ex-teammates throw you under the bus (which Bryz' have) It's even rarer for present teammates to throw you under the bus (which Bryz has done) I know if we buy him out we don't have anything better in net presently. I doubt it would be difficult to find another goalie with his consistency, and at a fraction of the cost. The nucleus of this team is young enough that it doesn't need some mid-30 type to WIN NOW!

jammer- Briere only has 2 years left after this. And at 3 and 2 million a season, he is quite tradeable (other than the NTC) But as has been said, his playoff production makes his value fine.

@flyercanuck

Plus, Kimmo comes off the books after this season. It's a shame we probably won't get to see him play again for the Flyers because I really like his tenacity and game in game out competitiveness. He'll be hard to replace.

SO, that's $6.3M in additional cap space. Add in Pronger and Bryz buyouts - if they indeed go that way - and that frees up about $16-17M.

@flyercanuck

Plus, Kimmo comes off the books after this season. It's a shame we probably won't get to see him play again for the Flyers because I really like his tenacity and game in game out competitiveness. He'll be hard to replace.

SO, that's $6.3M in additional cap space. Add in Pronger and Bryz buyouts - if they indeed go that way - and that frees up about $16-17M.

Understand that the cap is dropping, on reports, about $10.2M to $60M - so "freeing up" space can mean "bringing the Flyers into compliance"

Bryz is a no-brainer - and should also be the first choice for a buyout.

Pronger depends on the LTIR application. I could also see the team just giving him the cash to retire and stop worrying about it.

An interesting aspect of this - as I read it, all buyouts will apply to the "players share" of revenue. This means that a large number of big buyouts c/should affect the cap situation for 2014-2015.

Giroux/Couturier/BSchenn are all up as RFAs in that year. Quite frankly, I *already* expected some GMs to take a run at the Flyers' RFAs (in "retaliation" for the Weber sheet) and a tighter cap situation will not help at all.

Under THOSE circumstances, I could see the team keeping Pronger's contract on LTIR and buying out Briere for an extra $6.5M in cap space for 14-15. To be clear, NOT my preferred move, but something to consider given the situation.

• Like 1

Understand that the cap is dropping, on reports, about $10.2M to $60M - so "freeing up" space can mean "bringing the Flyers into compliance"

Bryz is a no-brainer - and should also be the first choice for a buyout.

Pronger depends on the LTIR application. I could also see the team just giving him the cash to retire and stop worrying about it.

An interesting aspect of this - as I read it, all buyouts will apply to the "players share" of revenue. This means that a large number of big buyouts c/should affect the cap situation for 2014-2015.

Giroux/Couturier/BSchenn are all up as RFAs in that year. Quite frankly, I *already* expected some GMs to take a run at the Flyers' RFAs (in "retaliation" for the Weber sheet) and a tighter cap situation will not help at all.

Under THOSE circumstances, I could see the team keeping Pronger's contract on LTIR and buying out Briere for an extra $6.5M in cap space for 14-15. To be clear, NOT my preferred move, but something to consider given the situation.

I was under the impression that there would also be a rollback, which would help offset the cap drop... but I know the players are against it. Still, I have a hard time believing salaries will remain at current levels while still having a cap drop.

In any case, Kimmo is only one of many of our salaries coming off the books. Walker, Lilja, Leighton, Fedotenko, Shelley. All told, that's another $7M+

With no season and multiple expiring contracts across the league, it could be one heckuva summer for team transformation.

But I do hear you about G/Coots/Schenn. Giroux is a no brainer to extend during next season. Maybe you do the same with Coots and take your chances with Schenn.

Just think how much fun this season will be with Bryz here for 48 games, and knowing he is probably gonna be bought out! :huh:

I'm surprised at the number of people who assume we'll have a 48 game season ;)

I guess a little optimism can't hurt, but I'm not convinced it will happen, especially given that they are apparently still far apart on the fundamental issues.

I was under the impression that there would also be a rollback, which would help offset the cap drop... but I know the players are against it. Still, I have a hard time believing salaries will remain at current levels while still having a cap drop.

In any case, Kimmo is only one of many of our salaries coming off the books. Walker, Lilja, Leighton, Fedotenko, Shelley. All told, that's another $7M+

With no season and multiple expiring contracts across the league, it could be one heckuva summer for team transformation.

But I do hear you about G/Coots/Schenn. Giroux is a no brainer to extend during next season. Maybe you do the same with Coots and take your chances with Schenn.

The "rollback" is being achieved through escrow, as I understand it, and the "make good" provision of $300M ALSO counts against the "player share."

12-13 isn't the year the buyout apply, it would be for 13-14.

You will also need to replace the players you are losing. Flyers (capgeek) have 10 players for $37.3M in 14-15. With Pronger off, that's about $32.3M with nine players. Take off Bryz and you're at $26.5M or so with eight (five F and 3 D - pending replacing Feds/Shelley/Leighton/Timonen in 13-14).

Assume, say, a $63M cap in 14-15 with 12 players to sign with about $35M including Giroux/Couturier/BSchenn, starting goalie, backup goalie, #1 D, four more F and two more D (plus 13th F and 7th D).

Now, pay Giroux "best player in the world" money at $8.7M (I didn't call him that, his coach did). Put Schenn and Couturier at about what Giroux is making now ($3.75M - which I think will be low).

Now you have $20M for goaltending, four F and three D (plus 13th/7th).

It starts to get tight. A lot of this is obviously conjecture, but the exposure the team has in the RFA field in 14-15 is pretty big IMO.

If nothing else, happy to be talking about ACTUAL hockey related items...