Is Canada's Dominance Over?

hf101

The streak is over. Canada has medaled the last 14 years. Russia wins in OT 6-5.

The rest of the world has caught up.

Flashback to 1998 ...Canada places 8th at the WJs...then ran off 14 medals in a row. The US finished 7th only last year. Sweden and Russia, and Finland have also had off years.

Before the funeral procession starts, this was way overdue to happen.

Again though, congrats on a well deserved victory.

• Like 1

@flyercanuck

If we look at the last 6 years Canada won gold in 08 and 09, silver in 10, 11, bronze in 12, and 4th in 13. They have been in the finals each of the years 2002 to 11, but not the last two years.

I look at that trend and I see their dominance slipping. Other nations such as the Swedes and the US have become contenders. The Russians are usually in the mix. At the beginning of this tourney Finland was one of the teams expected to medal. The Czechs, Slovakia and Swiss teams put up worthy challenges. Each of those teams had quality goaltending.

If you look back from 2002 to 07 for the most part Canada's only real opponent was Russia. Thus one or the other usually won the tournament. But not now. If I were to look ahead to 2014 I wouldn't necessarily assume Canada will compete for Gold. I wouldn't even assume the US would compete for gold, but basically as blocker said any of 4 to 6 teams could win it......their dominance has slipped.

It's been a surprising year... I didn't expect the US to beat Canada.. and I didn't expect the Swedes to beat Russia. I pictured Canada and Russia as the 1-2 teams in either order.

They need to rethink the tournament a bit. Having Russia, Canada and USA in the same group is ridiculous. Eliminating the bye next year will be good. I would like to see the groups more balanced in addition to the eliminating the bye.

• Like 1

@flyercanuck

If we look at the last 6 years Canada won gold in 08 and 09, silver in 10, 11, bronze in 12, and 4th in 13. They have been in the finals each of the years 2002 to 11, but not the last two years.

I look at that trend and I see their dominance slipping. Other nations such as the Swedes and the US have become contenders. The Russians are usually in the mix. At the beginning of this tourney Finland was one of the teams expected to medal. The Czechs, Slovakia and Swiss teams put up worthy challenges. Each of those teams had quality goaltending.

If you look back from 2002 to 07 for the most part Canada's only real opponent was Russia. Thus one or the other usually won the tournament. But not now. If I were to look ahead to 2014 I wouldn't necessarily assume Canada will compete for Gold. I wouldn't even assume the US would compete for gold, but basically as blocker said any of 4 to 6 teams could win it......their dominance has slipped.

Except for 2004. Just saying. :P

I know. The Swedes were in the finals in 08 and 09 as well. It isn't a two team tournament anymore.

And that is a good thing. I mentioned on another thread, I would like to see them reorder the groups better. Having Canada, Russia and USA in the same group is a bit tilted. Maybe not in the longer past, but in recent past (say last 8 years), it is now tilted. I guess one could argue that Sweden, Finland and Czech balances out to Canada, Russia and USA, but I am not so sure. Not at least recently.

@hf101

Canada played horribly this tournament. except one game against Russia and one against the US. They didn't deserve a medal. I was worried when they were letting in 3 goals a piece from Germany and the Slovaks. Then they allow 11 goals in 2 games in the playoffs? That's not your typical Canadian team. I would call this year an aberration, not the way our game is evolving..

I guess one could argue that Sweden, Finland and Czech balances out to Canada, Russia and USA, but I am not so sure. Not at least recently.

Yep. Add Slovakia and Switzerland to competitive teams in the mix, a couple of upsets and it will be difficult for any one team to win this year after year again.