Morning board....WE GOT NHL HOCKEY BACK!

Guest MaineFlyFan

So is that "buy out" thing in stone....and how does it work. Does player have any say or do we simply show them the door with a big ol check signed by Mr. Snider??

I think the Flyers would be CRAZY not to get out of that Bryz contract......thats is an albatross and a half. That guy's brain is smoked!

SO.....are you excited, happy? Indifferent? Still angry??

I think I'm all of the above.....but secretly glad to have a few Flyers games to watch at least! Still not buying a single item with an NHL logo on it till next season....

And Discuss......:)/>

I'm especially glad it's a 10 year deal. Maybe Bettman will be gone by then.

According to TSN, here's what's in the deal:

According to TSN Hockey Analyst Aaron Ward and TSN Hockey Insiders Darren Dreger and Pierre LeBrun, the agreement features the following elements:

- The players' share of hockey-related revenue will drop from 57 percent to a 50-50 split for all 10 years.

- The league coming off their demand for a $60 million cap in Year 2, meeting the NHLPA's request to have it at $64.3 million - which was the upper limit from last year's cap. The salary floor in Year 2 will be $44 million.

- The upper limit on the salary cap in the first year is $60 million, but teams can spend up to $70.2 million (all pro-rated). The cap floor will be $44 million.

- The 10-year deal also has an opt-out clause that kicks in after eight years.

- Each team will be allowed two amnesty buyouts that can be used to terminate contracts after this season and next season. The buyouts will count against the players' overall share in revenues, but not the team's salary cap.

- The salary variance on contracts from year to year cannot vary more than 35 per cent and the final year cannot vary more than 50 per cent of the highest year.

- A player contract term limit for free agents will be seven years and eight years for a team signing its own player.

- The draft lottery selection process will change with all 14 teams fully eligible for the first overall pick. The weighting system for each team may remain, but four-spot move restriction will be eliminated.

- Supplemental discipline for players in on-ice incidents will go through NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan first, followed by an appeal process that would go through Bettman. For suspensions of six or more games, a neutral third party will decide if necessary.

- Revenue sharing among teams will spread to $200 million. Additionally, an NHLPA-initiated growth fund of $60 million is included.

- Teams can only walk away from a player in salary arbitration if the award is at least $3.5 million.

- The NHL had hoped to change opening of free agency to July 10, but the players stood firm and it remains July 1 in the new agreement. But with a later ending to the season, free agency for this summer will start at a later date.

Here is my initial reaction...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eit7dg3iT-w

I am 100% all in and back with attending games with my season tickets. If I thought any protests or boycotts would do anything I would but they won't. The only person who I would be hurting in a boycott is myself as I would simply be denying myself the joy of hockey and Buttman and Snider would not care.

So I'm back baby and cannot wait to go down to the arena!!!

Let's go Flyers!!!!!

• Like 2

"The draft lottery selection process will change with all 14 teams fully eligible for the first overall pick. The weighting system for each team may remain, but four-spot move restriction will be eliminated."

This puts WICKED importance on the coming 48 game schedule. McKinnon or Jones could be the reward for just missing the playoffs this year....suddenly, it's ok if the Leafs make the playoffs...ha ha!

This puts WICKED importance on the coming 48 game schedule.

Indeed, but it might be more than 48 games. I noticed in Brelic's post of the new CBA highllights that the season will end later than normal.

This was some fantastic news to wake up to this morning! Am I going to boycott going to games? Hell no! Will I consider buying any merchandise, with the exception of Flyers Stanley Cup Champion merchandise (God willing!)? Not a chance!

Unfortunately with this compressed schedule and this being a very busy time at work for me, and with my 1 and a half year old son hitting the terrible twos early and driving my wife insane, I probably will have to miss a handful of games, but it wont be by choice. I won't deprive myself of live hockey any further. Besides, I already paid for my tickets for the year, so it's not like I can hurt them financially.

Hockey is back baby! LETS GO FLYERS!!!! Rumor is that the Flyers and Pens will start the season off at WFC on the 19th!

Edited by Adamflyers

I'm so excited I can barely catch my breath!! Personally, I was looking at this HUGE sports void after the next couple weekends of NFL. I can't watch the NBA, I've tried...it's not even a real sport in my books. Football ends, spring training for baseball is a long ways off....I've been saved!!

I'm so excited I can barely catch my breath!! Personally, I was looking at this HUGE sports void after the next couple weekends of NFL. I can't watch the NBA, I've tried...it's not even a real sport in my books. Football ends, spring training for baseball is a long ways off....I've been saved!!

Here here...my feelings exactly

I'm especially glad it's a 10 year deal. Maybe Bettman will be gone by then.

"I'm especially glad it's a 10 year deal. Maybe Bettman will be gone have been consumed by African fire ants by then."

Fixed.

Edited by JackStraw
  • Like 1

Who am I kidding!? How could I not be happy that the Flyers are back and I get to watch them play. It's the only freakin' sport and the only team I root for and watch. Just so happens this League also is the most dysfunctional. But I'll be watching from the comfort of my own couch. No tickets, no merchandise, no Center Ice this season -- unless they're giving that one away for free. So I guess I'm a little schizophrenic......love the Flyers, love their game, love their history, and hate pretty much everything else about the sport. But I'm coming back. Ha!!