Gave up my Season Tix 3 weeks ago

sarsippius

So I fell on my sword for the cause, because I got tired of the bullsh!t, tired of being taken for granted by a business that that makes its product available when the stars are perfectly aligned, tired of trying to explain to a 6 year old why the Flyers aren't playing hockey when its all he talked about for months after last season ended.

Like to tell you I'm happy about the new CBA, but at this point I'm really not.

So I fell on my sword for the cause, because I got tired of the bullsh!t, tired of being taken for granted by a business that that makes its product available when the stars are perfectly aligned, tired of trying to explain to a 6 year old why the Flyers aren't playing hockey when its all he talked about for months after last season ended.

Time to buy some AHL season Tickets as I have.

I have a seven year old and it's been tough. I tried to keep it simple ("they are fighting over money") but that led to more questions and puzzled looks. He asked me about it at least a couple times a week ("are we there yet?") and while it was a pain in the neck, I respect the kid's die hard interest in the game. He's the kind of fan both sides were banking on.

Are you tired of telling your 6 year old why you dont have your tickets anymore?

Im only joking. I respect your decision.

Touché and so true. Kids don't always move on quickly from stuff like that.

@pensuck

Nicely played, my refguin hatin' homey!

@terp

I tried the same series of explanations with about the same results....I'm sure I'll have him up there for a game or 2, Hell we may come back again next year. Being a Flyer fan is like being in the mob, you know you can never completely leave!

@

I'd do that in a heartbeat, for a fraction of the NHL cost, unfortunately Trenton not exactly a place I want spend too much time in, and Hershey is about a 2:15 ride for me

Will do, hope we get a chance to catch up!

It was tough decision that involved a lot of hand wringing, and I'll probably never kick the habit completely, I just decided that they didn't deserve my money this year. We'll still be watching through the miracle of Comcast's magical media empire.....

I'm wondering what the reaction of the fans will be at the arena, any arena, when their team takes the ice for the first time. My guess is it's going to be pretty positive - I mean, the people there are obviously fans - ticketholders who made a decision to come back out and support their team by buying tickets, bought and paid for with their hard earned money. I don't think those are the fans who would go to boo their team at the first game after the lockout. On the other hand, will some sort of displeasure with the way things played out over these several months be expressed? A moment of silence, something? Or will all be forgotten and bygones will let be bygones. I don't know. I do know that if Bettman shows his face at any of these games, he's going to probably wish he hadn't. Can't imagine the reaction he gets is going to be welcoming.

I'm wondering what the reaction of the fans will be at the arena, any arena, when their team takes the ice for the first time. My guess is it's going to be pretty positive - I mean, the people there are obviously fans - ticketholders who made a decision to come back out and support their team by buying tickets, bought and paid for with their hard earned money. I don't think those are the fans who would go to boo their team at the first game after the lockout. On the other hand, will some sort of displeasure with the way things played out over these several months be expressed? A moment of silence, something? Or will all be forgotten and bygones will let be bygones. I don't know. I do know that if Bettman shows his face at any of these games, he's going to probably wish he hadn't. Can't imagine the reaction he gets is going to be welcoming.

Bettman doesn't and has never cared.

For the 2008-09 season, Bettman was paid $7.23 million by the NHL, of which $5,529,490 was his base salary. His salary has been increasing. It was $3.77 million prior to the 2004-05 lockout.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Bettman#Salary

Why bother caring if people like you, when you're paid like royalty to do a subpar job? I am sure he has no pride or integrity to speak of.

So I take it there is no waiting list to get season tickets there? You can just go get them again if you want to?

No there is not. While the Flyers have a robust season ticket holder roster there are always seats available for season tickets. I know this because near the end of each season and in the playoffs they tape orange papers to seats that read something to the effect of, "These seats could be yours next season, sign up for a full or partial season ticket plan today". I see them throught the arena every year so no there is no waiting list.

I guess that's lucky for you then! You can come and go as you please. If I gave mine up, it would be a decade or more till I got another shot at them.

There are 4,300 fans on the waiting list in PGH: http://penguins.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=56564

There's as low as a 430/year turnover for STHs in PGH? That's pretty good.

Doesn't look like the Rags had a waiting list, but the Habs have been sold out since 2004:

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=53057

The Leafs also seem to have a waiting list, but they don't give numbers.

So, at least you're in good company :-)

I guess that's lucky for you then! You can come and go as you please. If I gave mine up, it would be a decade or more till I got another shot at them.

We had a waiting list long ago in the mid 80s but then when the Flyers moved across the street I think many STHs (and "real fans") were priced out at that point. You should see some of the people who sit around me at some of these Flyers games, I swear they dont know a hockey puck from hamburger patty. They have their heads burried in smart phones the whole time texting and playing games, they sit by idily while opposing fans come in and taunt us relentlessly and take over sections of the arena (you are welcome to come as an opposing fan but you shouldnt be able to get compfortable there) and they have no idea of the Flyers past, traditions, or history. I almost wet my pants laughing during a singing of God Bless America last year when a man was trying to tell the person next to him how Lauren Hart is singing a duet with "HER MOTHER", Kate Smith!!!!! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

There are 4,300 fans on the waiting list in PGH: http://penguins.nhl....ge.htm?id=56564

There's as low as a 430/year turnover for STHs in PGH? That's pretty good.

Doesn't look like the Rags had a waiting list, but the Habs have been sold out since 2004:

http://canadiens.nhl...ge.htm?id=53057

The Leafs also seem to have a waiting list, but they don't give numbers.

So, at least you're in good company :-)

Yeah we've had a good consecutive sellout streak. Interesting the Leafs don't list their waiting list, but for what they charge it's impressive they even have one!

We had a waiting list long ago in the mid 80s but then when the Flyers moved across the street I think many STHs (and "real fans") were priced out at that point. You should see some of the people who sit around me at some of these Flyers games, I swear they dont know a hockey puck from hamburger patty. They have their heads burried in smart phones the whole time texting and playing games, they sit by idily while opposing fans come in and taunt us relentlessly and take over sections of the arena (you are welcome to come as an opposing fan but you shouldnt be able to get compfortable there) and they have no idea of the Flyers past, traditions, or history. I almost wet my pants laughing during a singing of God Bless America last year when a man was trying to tell the person next to him how Lauren Hart is singing a duet with "HER MOTHER", Kate Smith!!!!! :rolleyes:

We get the same thing with certain people who buy them as corporate perks and to entertain clients and such. Those are largely boxes but you still run into it here and there. Sometimes the people who sit near us can be more entertaining than the games!

Just in time for the league to hand you the next one? :P

We're on THAT again??! LOL :rolleyes: