Defense is weak and our top two propects are hurt Bourdons skull is an eggshell

RonJeremy

Our best dman Timmo, is 38, fading fast and a pending UFA, our second or third best dman, Mez is coming off back surgery. Schenn and Coburn are solid, but after that we have nothing. The shortened season helped our defenseman for sure, but Im very concerned about any injuries and how we are going to get some help on defense over the next 2 years. Bourdon and Gus are our top 2 prospects and both have been injured over the last 2 seasons. Ever since Bourdon got Ko'd in that fight in the AHL a few years ago, his head is now an eggshell like Lindros , he has had 3 or 4 concussions in a years time, so dont be surprised if he is finished. Gus is small and is not durable enough. Manning might be pretty good too, but we do not have any top 3 dmen in our system. We also do not have any offensive dman or a PP QB. We have the kid Ghost, but he is years away and not big at all.

So over the last few drafts we had chances to draft some dmen and rebuild, but we chose 2 centers AGAIN, Couts and Laughton, Im not knocking those players ,but our defense is where we really needed help. Coots is gonna be good, but Doug Hamilton is going to be another Shea Webber. The Flyers have NEVER had a home grown francise dman, and I still dont know why we passed up Hamilton. We are never usually in a good position to draft a dman of that caliber and we finally had a chance to do it. Hamilton was a cant miss prospect, and defenseman like that are much more rare than a good center.

So , what do we do about Timmo, try and re-sign him and tie up alot of $$$ for an old beaten down dman, or are there any UFAs worth pursuing? With the cap going down by 4 million or so, thats even less $$ for us and we cant front load the contracts any more, so I just want to know where we are getting some defense from? We do not have a #1 or #2 dmen once timmo is gone, nor do we have a PP QB, we have a bunch of 3-6 guys with limited offensive skills. Everyone says trade for a dman, what are we gonna trade? What was the point of drafting Laugton or Coots, if you end up trading them for a dmen, when you could have just drafted the dman in the first place.

I won't hold my breath on Hamilton becoming another Shea Weber. I mean he has potential, but his game is nowhere near as physical as Webers. I wanted Hamilton too, but when Couturier fell to us, it was a no-brainer pick IMO.

But I do agree with you on how ridiculous it seems this franchise undervalues defencemen in the draft. Maybe it's just gunshy after wasting so many picks years ago, I don't know. But to me Maata was a guy I wished would fall to us last year, and when he did, we picked yet another center. I'm all for BPA, but I thought Maata was just that. I look at the Pens stable of young defencemen they have waiting in the wings, most of whom were picked around our draft slot, and just shake my head.

• Like 1

Dont forget about big Grossmann back there too. He looked good on the blue line when he was healthy. He seemed to be good at using his size without taking penalties. Think that having him for a full season here will be a big boost to the D.

But to me Maata was a guy I wished would fall to us last year, and when he did, we picked yet another center. I'm all for BPA, but I thought Maata was just that. I look at the Pens stable of young defencemen they have waiting in the wings, most of whom were picked around our draft slot, and just shake my head.

i agree about maata. he was there for the taking but we take a center and to add insult pittsburgh ends up taking him. that was a WTF are you doing homer moment for me
  • Like 2

Well, we tried to get the Webermeister and that went for naught. In a strange way, is suspect this buyout may help. If we dump Bryz and one other contract we have a lot of breathing space.

We have a good cadre of forwards. I have faith Homer will do something to address the D. But....there is perpetual question in goal, and one of the Inquirer guys has it right: Bryz either earns his stay or gets written out.

Now I wonder about Center Ice...will they charge the same...and will I get it or tell them to bleep off?

Peace,

Howie

@RonJeremy

You also forgot Bruno Gervais.....as he will likely be a regular d-man.

Then there is Lilja also :P

Timmo is rested.....the short season is probably a good thing. As for next season, I can see Timmo signing one year deals until he decides to retire.

Timmo is rested.....the short season is probably a good thing. As for next season, I can see Timmo signing one year deals until he decides to retire.

Yep, can see this happening, short term contract, maybe a home team discount. Unless he decides to go home to Finland. Either way he has given great service for the last few years, just a pity age is catching up with him.

Simply put, our D is bad. Just bad. There is no candycoating it. And I actually expected a breakout season out of Bourdon.

The silver lining is that if there is anybody who will benefit from a truncated season, it's Timonen. But I just don't see who will generate the attack and rush the puck out of the blue line.

• Like 1

Will Meszaros be ready when the season starts? If he is I think we might be ok, but certainly not great. The shortened season will definitely work to the benefit of Timonen, I would expect him and Coburn to be top pair. Anything else is too risky. Mesz(?)/Grossman or Mesz/Schenn 2nd pair and Grossman or Schenn with Gus 3rd pair?

All Homer needs to do is figure out a way to land Seth Jones and John Gibson and we're golden... ;)

So over the last few drafts we had chances to draft some dmen and rebuild, but we chose 2 centers AGAIN, Couts and Laughton, Im not knocking those players ,but our defense is where we really needed help. Coots is gonna be good,

While I think Hamilton is going to be very good- it is hard to say he is going to be the next Shea Webber when he has not played a single professional game yet. The other thing to keep in mind is that Couturier is already good and he is going to be great. There is no doubt about that. He should have been a #2-4 pick in the draft, but dropped because of his mono. You ask any GM / scout in the league and they will tell you that they would take Couturier over Hamilton in a heart beat. The Laughton pick is certainly more questionable as the Flyers could have had Maata. Maata is not a Hamilton, but still you have to scratch your head considering our center situation (even with Schenn moving to wing). That said, Laughton is a gamer and they are hard to come by.

Our best dman Timmo, is 38, fading fast and a pending UFA, our second or third best dman, Mez is coming off back surgery. Schenn and Coburn are solid, but after that we have nothing. The shortened season helped our defenseman for sure, but Im very concerned about any injuries and how we are going to get some help on defense over the next 2 years. Bourdon and Gus are our top 2 prospects and both have been injured over the last 2 seasons. Ever since Bourdon got Ko'd in that fight in the AHL a few years ago, his head is now an eggshell like Lindros , he has had 3 or 4 concussions in a years time, so dont be surprised if he is finished. Gus is small and is not durable enough. Manning might be pretty good too, but we do not have any top 3 dmen in our system. We also do not have any offensive dman or a PP QB. We have the kid Ghost, but he is years away and not big at all.

So over the last few drafts we had chances to draft some dmen and rebuild, but we chose 2 centers AGAIN, Couts and Laughton, Im not knocking those players ,but our defense is where we really needed help. Coots is gonna be good, but Doug Hamilton is going to be another Shea Webber. The Flyers have NEVER had a home grown francise dman, and I still dont know why we passed up Hamilton. We are never usually in a good position to draft a dman of that caliber and we finally had a chance to do it. Hamilton was a cant miss prospect, and defenseman like that are much more rare than a good center.

So , what do we do about Timmo, try and re-sign him and tie up alot of $$$ for an old beaten down dman, or are there any UFAs worth pursuing? With the cap going down by 4 million or so, thats even less $$ for us and we cant front load the contracts any more, so I just want to know where we are getting some defense from? We do not have a #1 or #2 dmen once timmo is gone, nor do we have a PP QB, we have a bunch of 3-6 guys with limited offensive skills. Everyone says trade for a dman, what are we gonna trade? What was the point of drafting Laugton or Coots, if you end up trading them for a dmen, when you could have just drafted the dman in the first place.

Timo is our best Dman I agree, but how is Gusts is around the same size as Timo and Timo is 38 years old and still going pretty strong so I wouldnt count Gusty out as weak and fraile... I like what he brought to the table when he played with the team. He made solid decsions and played a good conservative game for a rookie in his own end.

I know. I was hugely impressed with Gibson during the WJC. I think I'd be willing to part with a pretty decent package to get him.

I was impressed with Gibson too. Not sure how much is "pretty decent", and I do think he'll turn out to be a good NHLer. Jack Campbell looked like a sure thing a few years back too though.

Over the years, Canadas best WJ goalies are as follows...Manny Legace (.953 1.67) Jimmy Waite (stopped 38 of 40 in gold medal victory over Russia, Canada outshot 40-16) Carey Price, Marc Denis (1.67 over 2 tournaments) Steve Mason (.964 1.19) Jamie Storr (MVP), Justin Pogge (.952 1.00 3 shutouts) Stephane Fiset. Out of all those stellar junior goalies, only Price has lived up to being worth a decent package IMO (though Legace had a decent career)

I was impressed with Gibson too. Not sure how much is "pretty decent", and I do think he'll turn out to be a good NHLer. Jack Campbell looked like a sure thing a few years back too though.

Over the years, Canadas best WJ goalies are as follows...Manny Legace (.953 1.67) Jimmy Waite (stopped 38 of 40 in gold medal victory over Russia, Canada outshot 40-16) Carey Price, Marc Denis (1.67 over 2 tournaments) Steve Mason (.964 1.19) Jamie Storr (MVP), Justin Pogge (.952 1.00 3 shutouts) Stephane Fiset. Out of all those stellar junior goalies, only Price has lived up to being worth a decent package IMO (though Legace had a decent career)

Yeah goalies are a crapshoot, I know. But based on what I saw of Gibson during the WJC I don't know what more you'd be looking for in a young goalie. He's big and seems really quick for a guy his size. He keeps square to the puck and the way he tracked the puck had me almost mesmerized. Glove hand looked pretty decent too. He sure looks like the real deal.

Yeah goalies are a crapshoot, I know. But based on what I saw of Gibson during the WJC I don't know what more you'd be looking for in a young goalie. He's big and seems really quick for a guy his size. He keeps square to the puck and the way he tracked the puck had me almost mesmerized. Glove hand looked pretty decent too. He sure looks like the real deal.

You can't have him... he's from Pittsburgh and allergic to Flyers orange :ph34r:

@JackStraw

Oh he looks like the real deal. So did most of those goalies I mentioned. I could throw in Maxime Oullette too. HF has him as a 7.5 C. Looks like they're not 100% sold on him either. Justin Pogge looked so good the Leafs traded Tukka Rask away. Pogge couldn't even keep an AHL job.