How much is Subban REALLY worth?

habsguy26

Habsguy26 Poll  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Is Subban a valuable asset?

• Yes
    • No

Now that there is a new CBA in place, Marc Bergevin can finally get to work on resigning one of the league's brightest young defencemen. Let me remind you that Subban is eligible for an 8 year contract (new CBA allows 7 year deal for free agents and an 8 year deal for a free agent whose rights you already own).

My opinion is, sign the man for 3 years at around 3.5 and see where it goes from there. In the 2013-2014 season, the amnesty buyout clause (also part of the new 10 year CBA agreed upon early this morning by the NHL and the NHLPA) will take affect which will allow teams to buy out 2 players per year without a remaining salary cap hit. This would give Montreal, who already has 60.3 M in salary used, to buy out some players to free up space (erhm Gomez and Kaberle/Bourque anybody?)

Subban has the potential to be a top 5 defenceman in the league. All he needs is a bit of maturity, which will come with age.

Discuss.

If the maturity actually does come with age, which isn't always 100%, then he has the skills to be very good.

I would think Gomez and Kaberle would be very popular names in the buyout discussions.

He's an RFA after this season. Any chance someone sends him an offer sheet?

Subban has the potential to be a top 5 defenceman in the league. All he needs is a bit of maturity, which will come with age.

I just don't see it. If I was a Montreal fan / coach I would want to move him to wing. He has skill, but I don't think his skill translates as well as a defencemen.

• Like 1

If the maturity actually does come with age, which isn't always 100%, then he has the skills to be very good.

I would think Gomez and Kaberle would be very popular names in the buyout discussions.

He's an RFA after this season. Any chance someone sends him an offer sheet?

He is already an RFA, he is not under contract to any team at the current moment, however Montreal owns his rights. I don't think there is a possibility of an offer sheet coming his way. Too many politics/repercussions that would come back with Subban. Could you imagine how pissed everyone would be if Philly offered him one? Offer sheets would flood the Flyer's player's mailboxes!

I just don't see it. If I was a Montreal fan / coach I would want to move him to wing. He has skill, but I don't think his skill translates as well as a defencemen.

Hm... I don't see that either. Subban works well as a dman. Last season he had quality minutes on one of the top penalty kills in the league and he had decent minutes on the power play. He has a booming shot and is a good body checker, he also has a good stick. Sometimes, he can be caught out of position resulting in odd man rushes, but with some good coaching, that can be fixed.

Hm... I don't see that either. Subban works well as a dman. Last season he had quality minutes on one of the top penalty kills in the league and he had decent minutes on the power play. He has a booming shot and is a good body checker, he also has a good stick. Sometimes, he can be caught out of position resulting in odd man rushes, but with some good coaching, that can be fixed.

Um, so those attributes do not translate into a wing position? Your points are valid though. He is only 23 and playing 24 minutes a night. I guess at the end of the day, you need d help more than wing help. I just always thought he looked more like a power forward to me than a d-man.

• Like 1

Um, so those attributes do not translate into a wing position? Your points are valid though. He is only 23 and playing 24 minutes a night. I guess at the end of the day, you need d help more than wing help. I just always thought he looked more like a power forward to me than a d-man.

Not saying he wouldn't make for a good forward, he'd be very Dustin Bfuglien circa 2010 (sp) - esque. But I think his skills would better translate into a top pairing, PP QB'ing, in your face defender.

Not saying he wouldn't make for a good forward, he'd be very Dustin Bfuglien circa 2010 (sp) - esque. But I think his skills would better translate into a top pairing, PP QB'ing, in your face defender.

Yeah, but he can do that as a forward as well. On the flip side, I was pretty shocked to see he had a +9 last year (take that statistic category with the grain of salt of your choosing). That and the 24 minutes a night are pretty significant and not easily replaceable if you move him to forward.

My opinion is, sign the man for 3 years at around 3.5 and see where it goes from there.

I think that is ideal. It is basically the same deal Letang signed. However, I doubt that is the deal Subban wants, I see Subban wanting a longer year deal with a cap hit closer to 5M.

The rumor on the street is the Flyers have interest. Maybe even an offer sheet. Wouldn't that be interesting? :P

He is already an RFA, he is not under contract to any team at the current moment, however Montreal owns his rights. I don't think there is a possibility of an offer sheet coming his way. Too many politics/repercussions that would come back with Subban. Could you imagine how pissed everyone would be if Philly offered him one? Offer sheets would flood the Flyer's player's mailboxes!

How about the $68M in bonuses they offered Weber?

You think a SUBBAN deal is going to create problems for the Flyers?

Giroux, BSchenn and Couturier are ALL up in 14-15. I can think of several GMs just ITCHING to get an offer sheet out.

• Like 1

How about the $68M in bonuses they offered Weber?

You think a SUBBAN deal is going to create problems for the Flyers?

Giroux, BSchenn and Couturier are ALL up in 14-15. I can think of several GMs just ITCHING to get an offer sheet out.

Yeah that was my point exactly! If the Flyer's offer sheet another stud d man, the whole league would be gunning for their players who are RFA's. :)

NOT trolling, just want to say I still am not sold on Subban as a top blueliner. He seems to be missing something,he was not bit hard by the sophmore jinx last year but did take a step back statistically. I know you are really high on him but I wouldnt offer more than a three year deal for good but not Chara/Weber money and see where he goes. He has room to develop but could slip back just as easily to a 2nd pair d-man with holes in his game. Sorry.

@habsguy26 If the Flyer put in an RFA offer on Subban, they know full well if they want a young player to remain a Flyer, they will not let him reach RFA status, it's as simple as that....if you think a youngster is valuable to the organization, lock him up before you are vulnerable. Homer knows this I am thinking.

NOT trolling, just want to say I still am not sold on Subban as a top blueliner. He seems to be missing something,he was not bit hard by the sophmore jinx last year but did take a step back statistically. I know you are really high on him but I wouldnt offer more than a three year deal for good but not Chara/Weber money and see where he goes. He has room to develop but could slip back just as easily to a 2nd pair d-man with holes in his game. Sorry.

Yeah I am not completely sold on him either, but he has the potential to be a STUD! I said I'd offer him 3 years at 3.5 :)

@habsguy26 If the Flyer put in an RFA offer on Subban, they know full well if they want a young player to remain a Flyer, they will not let him reach RFA status, it's as simple as that....if you think a youngster is valuable to the organization, lock him up before you are vulnerable. Homer knows this I am thinking.

What makes you think one the said players would automatically resign with the Flyers immediately? A lot of RFA's hold out until they can get the best offer possible

@habsguy26 " What makes you think one the said players would automatically resign with the Flyers immediately? A lot of RFA's hold out until they can get the best offer possible"

Cause that's how things work in Philly. They are a classy winning organization that treats players great. Most young kids are thrilled to be part of the winning atmosphere and the loyal (but demanding) fan base. That's why RIchards, Carter, Gagne, Giroux....and many, many others signed on before their RFA status was up. It's a fun place to play and the org treats them with respect.

• Like 1

@jammer2 And? What does that have to do with the Montreal Canadiens? The winningest, proudest, most celebrated franchise in HOCKEY history, who has a great reputation for treating players well??? Players don't have to live in Quebec. As you may or may not know, the city of Ottawa is RIGHT on the border of Ontario and Quebec, and 21.6% of the city is french. Also, I'm sure that in Ottawa, there is just as many Habs fans as there are Sens fans. Have you seen an Sens-Habs game in Ottawa? There is just as many -- if not more, Habs fans in attendance. Plus, obviously, Ottawa is not the only place a Montreal Canadian who is scared of a little taxes (may I remind you these are multi-millionaires we are talking about here) to live. Tomas Kaberle still lives in Toronto for christ sakes. Gionta, Cole, Pacioretty, (all American) now call Montreal home. Mike Cammalleri said Montreal is the best place to play AND live (even after he was traded). May I also remind you that Montreal is historic, beautiful and the people are friendly. Also can't forget to mention the beautiful women and rocking night life. Zing.

@jammer2 And? What does that have to do with the Montreal Canadiens? The winningest, proudest, most celebrated franchise in HOCKEY history, who has a great reputation for treating players well??? Players don't have to live in Quebec. As you may or may not know, the city of Ottawa is RIGHT on the border of Ontario and Quebec, and 21.6% of the city is french. Also, I'm sure that in Ottawa, there is just as many Habs fans as there are Sens fans. Have you seen an Sens-Habs game in Ottawa? There is just as many -- if not more, Habs fans in attendance. Plus, obviously, Ottawa is not the only place a Montreal Canadian who is scared of a little taxes (may I remind you these are multi-millionaires we are talking about here) to live. Tomas Kaberle still lives in Toronto for christ sakes. Gionta, Cole, Pacioretty, (all American) now call Montreal home. Mike Cammalleri said Montreal is the best place to play AND live (even after he was traded). May I also remind you that Montreal is historic, beautiful and the people are friendly. Also can't forget to mention the beautiful women and rocking night life. Zing.

Honestly every team has players that stay and live in their cities after playing there. It's only natural for a lot of players to adopt places they go as their new homes. Happens here a lot too. As for winningest franchise in hockey history... I personally don't consider anything before 1967 as comparable to today's NHL because there were so few teams and such a loose structure for the Cup. Your team HAS won ten times or whatever since the expansion, but even eight of those were pre-1979. It's like me shouting the Pirates are a great baseball franchise... many years ago yes... but what have they done for me lately besides lose 18 years in a row? Your Habs won in '86 and '93... be proud of that, but I'd be pretty frustrated with the Habs if I were a fan. They just haven't been as competitive in the past twenty years as their history should demand.

Not trying to be rude just telling it as it is :)

@Polaris922 Let me remind you of the countless players enshrined in the HOF. Also, let me remind you that EVERY team hits bumps in the road. I do remember your Penguins almost relocating if not for a fixed lottery :)/>/> Not trying to be rude though lol

Countless players of course... Especially when there were only six teams. And unless you somehow can prove a fixed lottery when your team rep was standing in the room for that very same lottery, you speak from jealousy rather than fact. Like my Pirates... 20 year dry spells are a big bump. I'm just saying with such a rich history I'd be annoyed. Hell I'd be annoyed without the rich history with some of the moves they've made.

Not trying to be rude though :)

Edited by Polaris922