How much is Subban REALLY worth?

habsguy26

Habsguy26 Poll  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Is Subban a valuable asset?

• Yes
    • No

Why would I be jealous? Lol. You can have that cry baby Crosby. And I can't proved that it was fixed, as I was only kidding and jabbing sides... but hey oh well. Can I remind you of that little deal you made with Vancouver a couple of years ago that involved a guy named Markus Naslund? lol

Why would I be jealous? Lol. You can have that cry baby Crosby. And I can't proved that it was fixed, as I was only kidding and jabbing sides... but hey oh well. Can I remind you of that little deal you made with Vancouver a couple of years ago that involved a guy named Markus Naslund? lol

I know it's all in fun! As for Naslund they gave him so many chances! I thought they were very patient with him given the ice time they gave him. He had two more seasons in Vancouver before he took off in his 5th full season. Classic late bloomer!

• 3 weeks later...

Now that there is a new CBA in place, Marc Bergevin can finally get to work on resigning one of the league's brightest young defencemen. Let me remind you that Subban is eligible for an 8 year contract (new CBA allows 7 year deal for free agents and an 8 year deal for a free agent whose rights you already own).

My opinion is, sign the man for 3 years at around 3.5 and see where it goes from there. In the 2013-2014 season, the amnesty buyout clause (also part of the new 10 year CBA agreed upon early this morning by the NHL and the NHLPA) will take affect which will allow teams to buy out 2 players per year without a remaining salary cap hit. This would give Montreal, who already has 60.3 M in salary used, to buy out some players to free up space (erhm Gomez and Kaberle/Bourque anybody?)

Subban has the potential to be a top 5 defenceman in the league. All he needs is a bit of maturity, which will come with age.

Discuss.

He is a punk. He will never mature. Even Hal Gill couldn't help this jerk. Where is Mike Richards when you need him?

• 3 months later...

What's PK Subban worth?

Well, given his incessant, but entirely unnecessary antics in front of the camera and press, including his overly flashy, almost arrogant, but bumbling display of pre-game puck handling just before their 6:1 defeat to Ottawa tonight in Game 3 of the quarters, I'd say he's worth about a 'sawbuck'!

PK reminds of boxer Floyd Mayweather or ex-NFL star Dion Sanders - very little substance, but lotsa lip-service and hype. The Senators dispatched PK and the Habs tonight, in the very same way that Mexican boxer Marco Antonio Barrera dispatched loudmouthed English boxer Prince Naseem Hamed back in April of '01, and in the same fashion that boxer Manny Pacquiao can (and would) dispatch with blustery motor-mouth Floyd Mayweather. Talk is cheap - you gots-ta walk the walk ;-)

@Sockeye

Not sure I'd include Deon Sanders in that category. He may have shot his mouth off, and was a terrible tackler, but he took away an entire section of the field. The guy was so fast he'd play possum with qbs and receivers, pretending to let the guy open just to turn on the jets when the ball was in the air and intercept it. I hated his showboating, but the guy was a great athlete.

@Sockeye

Not sure I'd include Deon Sanders in that category. He may have shot his mouth off, and was a terrible tackler, but he took away an entire section of the field. The guy was so fast he'd play possum with qbs and receivers, pretending to let the guy open just to turn on the jets when the ball was in the air and intercept it. I hated his showboating, but the guy was a great athlete.

Yeah, you may have a point to some extent. Sanders was indeed athletic, so I'll concede that much, but the incessant 'me-my-mine' showboating (like Mayweather, Subban and a zillion others) is simply toxic. There no place for it in sports, especially 'team sports', and especially when you can't back-up that mouth, or worse, when you're ducking legitimate contenders like Mayweather has with Manny Pacquiao. At that point, you start lookin' both foolish and pathetic.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Montreal should have signed him for a long term deal last summer.

Every year, I think Subban has shown the growth that we want from young players. He now takes fewer selfish chances, and seems to understand the demands of a NHL defenceman better.

I think he's a pistol.

@blocker His maturity grew by leaps and bounds last year. What a turn around. Almost everybody on this board owes Habsguy a "you were right" post, cause we as a collective board ripped that guy silly for even proposing P.K for Coots. Now, there is no one in their right mind that would *not* make that trade. So a tip of the hat to Habsguy, where ever he is.

• Like 1

@habsguy26

At least what Letang received. $58M....8 year deal.

Montreal should have signed him for a long term deal last summer.

Nope, afraid I couldn't disagree more! PK isn't worth half that figure in my view. Chris Letang is 10x the player! In fact, its funny you should mention Chris, because personally speaking, I've considered him to be one of the top 5 active players in the entire league, and that's saying something when you're being compared to the likes of Datsyuk, Crosby, Malkin and Kane.

@Sockeye I could not disagree more. PK has a LOT less to work with in Montreal. The Habs best player on offense was a rookie. Letang plays the WHOLE pp a lot for the Pens. Many times the top pp leaves and he stays out there with the 2nd unit. PK is not great in his own zone, but I believe he cares more about defense than Letang.

Anyways...welcome to the board!!