What players would be bought out?

Phillygrump

Since the buyout clause is supposedly for active (ie. non LTIR players), only one Flyer I can think of that would be bought out: Bryz. It was a knee jerk reaction by management to sign him for the money and length they did. Some might say Briere, but I think that management respects and appreciates what he has brought to the team (leadership and playoffs particularly) and would not insult him to buy him out.

Some might say Briere, but I think that management respects and appreciates what he has brought to the team (leadership and playoffs particularly) and would not insult him to buy him out.

Two words for you on respecting and not insulting the player.... Simon Gagne

If they felt they needed to do it cap wise they would do it in a heartbeat. FWIW I don't think he deserves to be bought out but if his production declines again this year it's a possibility. And yeah I know he's money in the playoffs every year.

If they felt they needed to do it cap wise they would do it in a heartbeat. FWIW I don't think he deserves to be bought out but if his production declines again this year it's a possibility. And yeah I know he's money in the playoffs every year.

I think many lament that move. It was a hole that Holmgren etc. dug for themselves. Also, you have to remember that Gagne had (has) concussion issues.

Your points are valid regarding Briere, but keep in mind that the buyout begins next season. At that point, Briere will have two years remaining on his contract and while the cap hit is 6.5M, his salary for each of the two years will be 3M and 2M respectively. So, from a fiduciary sense, that is cheap for what you will get from him in the locker room and on the ice.

• Like 2

I think many lament that move.

I hope they do, it was a disgraceful way to treat him.

So, from a fiduciary sense, that is cheap for what you will get from him in the locker room and on the ice.

Absolutely agree with you. However I'm just saying IF the need arises to clear cap space his is the biggest hit to get rid of (assuming Kimmo is off the books) and as such may be expendable (from a management viewpoint, not necessarily mine)

the cap hit is 6.5M

I'm not saying he should be bought out, but if he is, that is the reason. With the Flyers, it's not about cash/cash flow/outlay...they have plenty. His cap hit is why it could happen. If we lost Bryz, Briere, and Kimmo after this season, we gain almost 18 million in cap space.

Briere is a very hard business decision. The sentimental decision is easy..you keep him for his playoff production. I think he bounces back this regular season with a pair of wingers that don't change every 5 mins. I also think they need to play him at center, and leave him there. He produces best as a center, not on the wing.

• Like 3

I also think they need to play him at center, and leave him there. He produces best as a center, not on the wing.

Agree with everything you said. Schenn is going to move to wing (as he did with the Phantoms). That leaves you with Giroux-Briere-Coutuier as your top 3 centers. Pretty dynamic in my opinion. On the cap portion- with bryz and kimmo off the books, there really is not a pressing need to squash more cap- aside from a replacement goaltender. I think Kimmo will re-sign for a couple of years more, but not more than 4m. With the new CBA, I think a quality #1 goalie can be had for 4m or less.

It better be Bryz. If the cap situation sucks, Briere too, but only if necessary. Mr Playoffs has earned his keep when it matters most. Plus, he mentors the younger guys (Giroux, Couturier).

Are there any rules against resigning the bought out player given the special cap-free circumstance? Maybe Simmonds and resign him to a friendly number. Check capgeek before flaming the idea.

I don't think it's about disrespect as much as it is about valuing what he brings.

In order to buy Briere out, they'd need to feel like that have a suitable replacement waiting in the wings. Who's a UFA this summer? Anyone who can bring what Briere does?

Posted · Hidden by King Knut, January 7, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by King Knut, January 7, 2013 - No reason given

I don't think it's about disrespect as much as it is about valuing what he brings.

In order to buy Briere out, they'd need to feel like that have a suitable replacement waiting in the wings. Who's a UFA this summer? Anyone who can bring what Briere does?

Do we really think that it's 82 games that warms him up and not the start of the playoffs?

Why won't he flick the switch at game 50?

Briere may not look so good with the cap hit this season. He usually flicks the switch at game #82. That ain't working this year.

This summers UFA list is nowhere near as exciting as 2014s. There are a lot of elite players coming up then.

The problem is we have three big time RFA's that need to be taken care of that summer also... G, Schenn and Couts. Not sure how much wiggle room we will have then.

@EDI-Flyer

Well if you have the opportunity to sign, say Lundquist (I'm sure the Rangers will re-sign him prior, but you never know) and you have the option to buyout Bryz and Timonen comes off the books....

Well I would love to think so but still have cap concerns for the three aforementioned guys... Will not be cheap to keep them all. That said if someone like Lundy became available you sure as heck would have to take a shot at him.

@EDI-Flyer

Along with Lundquist the present list of 2014 UFAs includes Datsyuk, Malkin, the Sedins, Gaborik, Vanek, Bergeron, Callahen, Letang, Miller, Brown, Moulson among others.

Realistically, Lundquist, Malkin, Datsyuk, and the Sedins will not be available. They will probably resign with their current teams. The same is probably true for most of the rest, but you never know. I think Letang and Brown won't hit the UFA market.

Both Vanek and Miller leaving would leave Buffalo with a very very very tough sell to fans. I'd take them both for the right price, but I've never been a big Miller fan. That said, he's an upgrade.

@brelic

You'd think most of them would re-up with their present teams. Without looking, I'm not sure how those teams are set cap-wise, so you never know. A guy like Malkin might be sick of Crosbys shadow. Lundquist might be sick of being a Ranger. Brown could be fed up with all the nice weather.

Both Vanek and Miller leaving would leave Buffalo with a very very very tough sell to fans. I'd take them both for the right price, but I've never been a big Miller fan. That said, he's an upgrade.

Miller leaving Buffalo...better send out the search party and check every bridge and better check Niagra Falls too. Buffalo Rick would go apesh**T and then go MIA. LOL....... poor b@$tard....... :D

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 1