Yes--a Matt Walker thread

DaGreatGazoo

Did anyone else read the info about burying contracts in the AHL? Not sure where I read it, I was on my phone at the time. Basically, it stated that NHL contracts over $900,000 in the AHL, will count towards the NHL cap...I think. I can't find the article now.

If that's the case, the Flyers could be a bit screwed. Walker's cap hit is $1.7 million...that they didn't have to account for last year.

YUCK.

@DaGreatGazoo It does suck, but I think the cap goes up for this shortened season, no? That would make it a bit easier to stomach at least, I read a pro rated version of 70.2 mill this year. I'm thinking it went up to help deal with situations like this. Imagine being the Rangers and having Wade Redden's 6 or 7 mill to account for??

@DaGreatGazoo

I haven't looked too hard for this, and because the buyouts don't take effect until the 2013 -14 season does the cap hit for NHL players in the AHL start with the new CBA?

Another question I have is could Walker be bought out under non "amnesty" terms, as in buyouts that were common in the old CBA.

And finally last year Walker basically spent the entire year on LTIR......although he was recently cleared to play, doesn't mean he won't be injured again in training camp. :ph34r:

could Walker be bought out under non "amnesty" terms, as in buyouts that were common in the old CBA.

I guess I never knew you could buy out a healthy player (except when it was new-CBA-time = 1 Get Out of Jail Free card).

How did they work that? I must be having a brain-freeze but I can't remember hearing about any non-amnesty buy outs.

I guess I never knew you could buy out a healthy player (except when it was new-CBA-time = 1 Get Out of Jail Free card).

How did they work that? I must be having a brain-freeze but I can't remember hearing about any non-amnesty buy outs.

Capgeek has the explanation as to the rules of the old CBA.

When a player is bought out, the team still takes a cap hit for the player over a period of twice the remaining length of the contract. The amount of the cap hit (by year) is determined as follows:

• Take the actual salary due for each remaining year
  • Take the Averaged Player Salary (cap hit) for the current contract
  • Calculate the buyout amount (as described above)
  • Spread the buy-out amount evenly over twice the remaining years of the contract
  • Take the number in No. 1 and subtract the number in No. 4. This is the "buyout savings."
  • Take the cap hit from No. 2 and subtract the buyout savings from No. 5.

For example Oskars Bartulis was bought out and his 100k cap hit affects this and next years cap. What I'm not sure though is that are teams still allowed to buyout players under these rules? As there was a deadline prior to the lockout.

Capgeek has the explanation as to the rules of the old CBA.

When a player is bought out, the team still takes a cap hit for the player over a period of twice the remaining length of the contract. The amount of the cap hit (by year) is determined as follows:

• Take the actual salary due for each remaining year
  • Take the Averaged Player Salary (cap hit) for the current contract
  • Calculate the buyout amount (as described above)
  • Spread the buy-out amount evenly over twice the remaining years of the contract
  • Take the number in No. 1 and subtract the number in No. 4. This is the "buyout savings."
  • Take the cap hit from No. 2 and subtract the buyout savings from No. 5.

For example Oskars Bartulis was bought out and his 100k cap hit affects this and next years cap. What I'm not sure though is that are teams still allowed to buyout players under these rules? As there was a deadline prior to the lockout.

ohyeah...(lightbulb)...thanks HF....forgot all about Bart.

funny there's been no mention of "non-amnesty" buyouts ... months of lockout articles and I can't remember coming across it once.

IIRC, the "non amnesty" buyout has to be agreed to by BOTH parties, however I could be wrong. In the new CBA world, the player has no say, from what I've read. It's strictly at the discretion of the club.

WTH is Aziz when you need him?

I would imagine the non-compliance buyouts will remain the same.

In Walker's case, the Flyers have the room to handle the extra salary and he's gone after this season anyway. Sure, Simon Gagne got his name on the Cup, but, hey, we got to see Matt Walker play in Glen Falls, NY so it pretty much evens out, eh?

Suter, er, um, I mean Redden, still has two years on his deal and his $6.5M may not impact the Rags this season, but that's a big hit to take in 13-14 with a reduced cap. I'd imagine there's a compliance buyout waiting to happen for Wade.