When does a trade for another D'Man happen?

activestick

@jammer2

Totally agree on using a FF on the point on the PP. Until Coburn figures how to shoot consistently hard and accurate, without being blocked, he is not a PP1 guy. He's getting better but it's very incremental. He's not even PP2 IMO. I prefer Meszaros or Gus.

I like Schenn back there, or Read, but I'd also give Cooter a look, certainly over the long-term at least.That kid can play. Period. So why could he not QB a PP, eventually? He's smart enough that's for sure.

Even a roadrunner is slow when standing still. Ask Wile E.Coyote :P

Let's actually follow that logic for a second though: the fastest/quickest guy to put on the PP under that logic is likely Giroux, or Read. Or Wellwood.

Totally agree on using a FF on the point on the PP. Until Coburn figures how to shoot consistently hard and accurate, without being blocked, he is not a PP1 guy. He's getting better but it's very incremental. He's not even PP2 IMO. I prefer Meszaros or Gus

It's not just Coburn's lack of a good shot, it's also that his offensive instincts seem limited to "dump it around the end boards". He doesn't move the puck well from the point. To put it another way, other than the lousy shot, he's no Matt Carle.

Edited by JackStraw

@radoran

In all seriousness, what a dismal group of UFA D-men out there: http://capgeek.com/f...-1&fa_type_id=2

List includes a who's who of ex-Flyers: Ryan Parent, Jim Vandermeer, Mark Eaton, Oskars Bartulis and Sean O'Donnell

Out of all those sad-sack names, Brett Clark might be the most interesting.

paul ranger is playing for the marlies, would love to know if he's looking to return to the nhl

i'd be interested

It's not just Coburn's lack of a good shot, it's also that his offensive instincts seem limited to "dump it around the end boards". He doesn't move the puck well from the point. To put it another way, other than the lousy shot, he's no Matt Carle.

Coburn has never met an offensive instinct that he could trust. I don't get it, but it's just not in the nature of his game. Poor vision would seem to be part of it.

Edited by Podein25

Serious question here.... Has the NHL release schedule of operations??

1. When is the trade dealine?
  2. With a shorten schedule do you think any teams would be willing to trade since it is pretty much a sprint to the playoffs? Unless a team starts off absolutely putrid...I think more teams are gonna think they can make the playoffs with the players they have. Just my opionion.

thoughts?

What about: ???

Colin White -- White was a solid defensive defenseman for 11 years in New Jersey, but played only 51 games with San Jose after signing a one-year deal. He's 35 and will be looking for a team that needs defensive depth.

He certainly has to better than Gervais???

thoughts?

What about: ???

Colin White -- White was a solid defensive defenseman for 11 years in New Jersey, but played only 51 games with San Jose after signing a one-year deal. He's 35 and will be looking for a team that needs defensive depth.

He certainly has to better than Gervais???

thoughts?

My thoughts are that Gervais is a childhood friend of Talbot and unlikely to be shown the way to Glen Falls...

I don't see the point of rearranging deck chairs. The question of whether a "top tier" Dman is available would be my only real question.

The question of whether a "top tier" Dman is available would be my only real question.

And.... AND.... what the asking price would be, becuase even if a top tier d-man is available and they want something the Flyers would be stupid to give up, would it be even relevant that a top tier d-man is avialable?

And.... AND.... what the asking price would be, becuase even if a top tier d-man is available and they want something the Flyers would be stupid to give up, would it be even relevant that a top tier d-man is avialable?

and..and...AND ...with such a short season...unless a team was tanking early..I just don't see anyone willing to part ways with what they got and if they did..the asking price would have to be outlandishly high......

Bringing us neatly back around to the top of the thread :-)

I don't know why everyone is writing Timo off as beat up, not as fast, this and that. He is still our best dman and with the lock out could be a blessing in disguise for Timo, much needed rest I am sure. Now I am not saying he isnt slowing down hes 38 not 28 but he is far from beat up or washed up.. Hell if Lidstrom can play into his early 40's so can Timo.

Timo is nowhere near the defenseman Lidstrom was. He's also nowhere near the defenseman Timo was. He's soft, slowing down, and suffering injuries more now. I'm a Pens fan and I even like the guy, but as a competitor I love seeing him on the ice against our top lines. He's been a great positional D man through the years but his slowing down has made it harder for him to get into position. On top of that, though he's smart and skilled, his losing a step has hurt his offensive production as well. Take away his PP production and he's a shadow of his former self.

@mojo1917

I watched all the US games, and although there was one game in particular where he saw little TOI (not sure why), he was a steady performer. Clearly intelligent, clearly sees the ice, clearly makes great decisions (most of the time), clearly has offensive instincts. During the tournament some talking head, in passing, compared him to Timonen, which is a compliment, of course. Suggests that he can win battles, has positioning, is smart etc. I think he's a keeper for sure. "Get thee to the gymnasium" though....

• Like 1