When does a trade for another D'Man happen?

activestick

I don't think depth is the problem either. It's lack of a top tier player that is.

Who are you targeting in a trade and what would you give up for that player?

Also, too, if you were the team with the "top tier" player you are targeting, would you accept that offer?

Depth - not so much. Quality - you bet.

I'm on board with questioning "quality" and am open to suggestions...

In lieu of that, I'm of the opinion that in adding Grossmann and Schenn with Gervais on the low-end, the *Flyers* feel they have "addressed defense."

Sure you can, watch...

"Weber for a 2nd."

There, I said it.

haha, I 2nd that!

Seriously, I don't know for who and for what. Just wanted to hear some creative responses. What I do know is that they are in need of a true #1. Kimmo is a great player, but he's beat up.

• Like 1

Clearly the Flyers themselves acknowledged and recognized the defense needed major help by trading JVR for Schenn and going after Weber. The benefits of the former remain to be seen; the latter simply didn't happen.

I am yet to wrap my mind around the new CBA and all the numerous implications, but the problem is, there is not much the Flyers *can* do right now. Right around august-september there was an inflow of ideas on this board as to what else the Flyers can do, and I am not sure they do have a great menu of options. At this point they can only improve the D through trades and they don't have many trading chips without weakening the other areas (well, they can't actually weaken the net position much worse, but that's the whole new subject altogether). That's not to say Holmgren can't get creative and pull something amazing. But the odds are we are stuck for this abbreviated season with what we have.

In lieu of that, I'm of the opinion that in adding Grossmann and Schenn with Gervais on the low-end, the *Flyers* feel they have "addressed defense."

I don't think we're winning anything with that D. Or that G. The good thing is most of our Fs are young enough that we have plenty of time to do something about it. The D is really only in need of a #1. (only :lol: )

Bryzgalov, a 2nd and a 3rd for Rinne and Weber. We'll throw in Shelley so they get some cap relief out of it, too.

Done. Make it so.

It's amazing how many trade proposals I've read over the years that weren't any better than that.

Don't forget Free Agents that could be signed. For example, Jeff Finger is UFA. I'm sure he'll come cheaper than the $3.5M that the Leafs gave him.

Oh yeah, Behold! Randy Jones also UFA and not likely to re-sign in the 'Peg. He could come even cheaper, like free maybe.

Problem solved. Podein25 for GM!

Don't forget Free Agents that could be signed. For example, Jeff Finger is UFA. I'm sure he'll come cheaper than the $3.5M that the Leafs gave him.

Oh yeah, Behold! Randy Jones also UFA and not likely to re-sign in the 'Peg. He could come even cheaper, like free maybe.

Problem solved. Podein25 for GM!

When I think "top tier" free agents the first two names are ALWAYS Jeff Finger and Randy Jones...

Since, obviously, Matt Walker is under contract.

:ph34r:

• Like 1

@radoran

In all seriousness, what a dismal group of UFA D-men out there: http://capgeek.com/free-agents/?year_id=2012&team_id=-1&position_id=-1&fa_type_id=2

List includes a who's who of ex-Flyers: Ryan Parent, Jim Vandermeer, Mark Eaton, Oskars Bartulis and Sean O'Donnell

Out of all those sad-sack names, Brett Clark might be the most interesting.

List includes a who's who of ex-Flyers: Ryan Parent, Jim Vandermeer, Mark Eaton, Oskars Bartulis and Sean O'Donnell

We can be 100% absolutely certain that Oskars bartulis will not be re-signed.

Because they bought him out and he's not eligible for the Flyers.

Of the others, I can see Vandermeer, O'Donnell, Eaton and Parent - in that order...

I don't know why everyone is writing Timo off as beat up, not as fast, this and that. He is still our best dman and with the lock out could be a blessing in disguise for Timo, much needed rest I am sure. Now I am not saying he isnt slowing down hes 38 not 28 but he is far from beat up or washed up.. Hell if Lidstrom can play into his early 40's so can Timo.

I, sitting here in my #44 jersey, would re-sign Timonen in the heartbeat at the right deal.

The question is what the "right deal" is.

I concur wholeheartedly that the lockout was wonderful news for Kimmo's stamina through the season.

The real question is whether Timonen wants to play next season, where and for how much.

Yes and can Gervais be that more worse at defense than Carle...i think hardly. The question can he help the powerplay.

@OccamsRazor Besides Kimo, the other choices for the pp point men are weak to say the least. Think an opposing forward will play the pass or shot with Coburn at the point all the time? ha ha....good luck with that. They will inevitably have to stick a forward back there with Kimo on the top pp and then go with Coburn and Gervais/Schenn combo on the second pp unit. Geez, one injury to Kimo (which has a real good chance of happening when factoring in recent history) and we are toast on the pp (among other things). Read did some spot duty there last year, I'd like to give him a shot at working the point on the top pp. He has a good feel for the game and anticipates well, and his passes are accurate for the most part...give Read the shot I say.