Voracek

Guest brelic

Fair enough @canoli

When I say shut up I mean in the same way that people (and when I say people I mean posters like, ahem, @flyercanuck) have shut up about Briere: 'cause he produces in the playoffs. But I see what you are saying. Patience is called for.

Great Googly Moogly!! I've kept my mouth shut for 2 years. TWO FRIGGIN' YEARS! Gimme a break Pods you bastard!

Ideally none of these guys would have guaranteed money - it's bullsh!t. We've seen it so often it's disgusting: a guy signs the big deal and then suddenly looks half-ass out on the ice. Maybe it's not even a conscious decision on his part, but all of a sudden he's a multi-millionaire at 22 years old, it's almost natural he slacks off his job and tries to enjoy the new high life.

I'm with you, Canoli, about guaranteed money and years. Wow, I love the NFL's setup--you can have a big contract and get cut in the third week of the season. The owners in the next CBA have got to get some "out" clauses for these contracts. I admit that I will enjoy seeing Kovalchuk in a wheelchair playing for the Devils in 3073, but as for the rest of the league, I think every team needs a way to get rid of dead weight. Maybe each team gets a "my bad" either in-season or after the season, We all understand the purpose of the long-term deal: to circumvent the salary cap to lock up the current superstar player. But if that guy bags it night after night in a few years or gets a flat tire and plays only like a shadow of himself, NHL teams need an "out" like the NFL teams have in order to stop paying ridiculous money ($275,000/goal?) to certain players. As a fan, that just aggravates me on principle.

@Podein25

NP Pods, I thought it was funny someone brought it up. I rode him hard (and he deserved it) but he came through in the postseason so I've shut up since then. I still don't like the length of the contract and as with Pronger and Bryz, we'll ALL learn to hate them before they're done. Well, except for Bryz, where most on here LOVED the signing in the summer but already hate it.

I'm with you, Canoli, about guaranteed money and years. Wow, I love the NFL's setup--you can have a big contract and get cut in the third week of the season. The owners in the next CBA have got to get some "out" clauses for these contracts. I admit that I will enjoy seeing Kovalchuk in a wheelchair playing for the Devils in 3073, but as for the rest of the league, I think every team needs a way to get rid of dead weight. Maybe each team gets a "my bad" either in-season or after the season, We all understand the purpose of the long-term deal: to circumvent the salary cap to lock up the current superstar player. But if that guy bags it night after night in a few years or gets a flat tire and plays only like a shadow of himself, NHL teams need an "out" like the NFL teams have in order to stop paying ridiculous money ($275,000/goal?) to certain players. As a fan, that just aggravates me on principle.

The thing is, it's the GMs who are the idiots handing out these ridiculous contracts, both on salary and length. That being said, something needs to be done so you can get rid of a player who just isn't living up to his end of the bargain. Like everyone else, if you don't do the job you were hired to do, you can be 'fired'. But, it should be in conjunction with a rule that limits the length of contracts to 5 years. Otherwise, you'll have more lunacy. GMs will probably hand out even longer contracts if they know there is an out.

I posted this in a different thread but since we're talking JvR i'll put it here too,

snapback.pngflyercanuck, on Dec 20, 2011 - 08:18 PM, said:

"JVRs would have been a slapper had he heeded Holmgrens advice and played junior."

I cannot help but think this is why he is the way he is with regard to effort over a long grind of a season... juniors is an intense indoctrination into hockey life, you just do not get the same experiences at an american university. especially at UNH where there is much research on hemp and it's benefits to society.

i think had he played junior he'd have already experienced some of the growing pains we're seeing at the NHL level. that he's stuck with the big club tells you how much talent he must have.

I think junior would have sped up JVRs development. But he likely wouldn't be much further than where he is right now. Not going to junior is what JVR seems to be all about. Meaning he does whats good for JVR in his mind, not what makes him a better player. He can have an NHL career without trying because of his God-given skill and size. If he had Talbots work ethic, he'd be a superstar. I honestly think JVR could play the entire game, with the effort he puts in, and not even be tired at the end of the game. And thanks to Homer and his stupid contracts, he can play 6 years without effort.

Like everyone else, if you don't do the job you were hired to do, you can be 'fired'.

But we've had the "professional athletes aren't 'like everybody else'" talk quite a few times. You can't simply say "they're just like the average worker" because they aren't.

Moreover, how many times have the Flyers found themselves paying 2, 3, 4 coaches at a time? No, it doesn't affect the cap, but it's a contract just the same.

Your point about the GM's offering these ridiculous contracts is the cogent one. Yet, after long-term deal after long-term deal, the guys who signed the deals keep leaving and the guy who keeps offering them keeps his job...

@Podein25

NP Pods, I thought it was funny someone brought it up. I rode him hard (and he deserved it) but he came through in the postseason so I've shut up since then. I still don't like the length of the contract and as with Pronger and Bryz, we'll ALL learn to hate them before they're done. Well, except for Bryz, where most on here LOVED the signing in the summer but already hate it.

Maybe my memory is flawed, but I seem to remember quite a bit more division on the forum surrounding the Bryz signing.

I think different players react... differently.

You wouldn't say that Alexandre Daigle was better because he played junior, ready to take on the slings and arrows of a full NHL season.

How about Pat Falloon?

I'm not saying JVR *wouldn't* have benefitted from a different way of "learning" hockey. Just that there's no real "slam dunk" for it.

There are many players who went to college and became great NHLers. But they WANTED to become NHLers. I honestly don't think it was Daigles or Falloons, or JVRs dream. And I still think the same player would develop faster in junior.

My memory IS flawed, but I still recall a lot of people rejoicing that we'd finally found our saviour.

I was excited when we signed Bryzgalov until i saw the length of the deal,even then i thought " well he'll be solid for 5 or 6 years at least", and we won't have a revolving door or suckitude at that position any longer.

but he has totally underperformed with regard to my expectations of him, I knew he was big guy and his game was positional. and early on he was getting beat by some bad breaks on deflections and they always seemed to come right at boucher time too.

the guy can flake out all he wants so long as he makes the save that needs made to win the game. and so far he is winning games but as you've said not because of his play i foresee a long 9 years....