Is it time to name the Captain?

Guest murraycraven

Shortened season is upon us hockey fans! Better than no hockey and I can not wait for the puck to drop for game 1!

With Pronger's carreer pretty much unofficially over along with the lockout is it time for Lavy and Homer to finally name the next Captain of the Flyers? Obviously, G is the #1 choice and I believe the kid can handle it... or, do you give Kimmo one year (most likely his last as a Flyer) and then name G next season?

@radoran

agreed...why rush it. Captain by committee seemed to work last year. With the leadership of Kimmo / Roo / Briere and I'll even be willing to throw Talbot in there because of his locker room presence....I think the Flyers are ok with the status quo and just let Prongs official retire...then and maybe then this Karma crap will finally vacate this team.

And Yes...like I think everyone on here will agree ...Roo will probably have the "C" next year.

Edited by pilldoc

@murraycraven

Hey Murray, how's it hanging?

IMO the only choice for now is #44. Cross the G-bridge next year.

I could see Timonen, or Briere (given that he's still got length on his deal) for a stop-gap - I just don't see the need for a stop gap.

Flyers really haven't had a long-term captain since... Lindros? And the last guy who was the can'tmiss perfect nextClarke lifetimeFlyer got traded to Los Angeles.

Maybe it's what "they did" to Poulin??

@murraycraven

Hey Murray, how's it hanging?

IMO the only choice for now is #44. Cross the G-bridge next year.

How is going Pods? Happy New Year to you! Things have been good and have been keeping busy coaching this year... Team is playing good hockey too and currently sitting in 3rd place.

My preference would be give it to Kimmo as well and then transition it over to Giroux next year. I can see the argument for staying with 3 As this year again but a decision has to be made at some point. Take care!

@radoran

What did they do to Poulin?

Given the short season, I think you need a vet of Tiimonen's stature to be the big guy. if Briere showed up more regularly during the regular season, one could make a case for him, but....

stripped him of the captaincy and traded him.

Flyers had 6 captains from 1967-1989 (Clarke twice) and 10 since then (including one season of no captain).

Your point is well-taken. It's probably the Lindros Curse :-)

• Like 2

Things have been good and have been keeping busy coaching this year... Team is playing good hockey too and currently sitting in 3rd place.

Good to hear, good to hear. What age are you coaching this year? Same?

Good to hear, good to hear. What age are you coaching this year? Same?

Actually Coaching Bantam this year and have been helping out a lot at the midget level... I will say that I have never been a fan of coaching bantam level b/c the kids think the always know more than the coach! Off to hit the ice now!

Considering how the "C" worked out with Richards, I hope the Flyer err on the side of caution. Kimmo or Briere would be better choices due to their maturity. Let Giroux just be Giroux at this point

Considering how the "C" worked out with Richards, I hope the Flyer err on the side of caution. Kimmo or Briere Walker or Shelley would be better choices due to their maturity. Let Giroux just be Giroux at this point

I'm sure that's what you meant.

Edited by Podein25

Just out of curiosity why is everyone so afraid to name Giroux the captain? It seems like he wants it and is ready for it. If he wants to be the leader and is good at it whats the hesitation? There's no jinx or curse on it.

What if Giroux could be the greatest captain in Flyers history and all he's waiting for is to be named? His leadership is definitely palpable on the ice.

Just out of curiosity why is everyone so afraid to name Giroux the captain? It seems like he wants it and is ready for it. If he wants to be the leader and is good at it whats the hesitation? There's no jinx or curse on it.

What if Giroux could be the greatest captain in Flyers history and all he's waiting for is to be named? His leadership is definitely palpable on the ice.

I'll settle for best player, he doesn't need to be captain to play his best.

I'll settle for best player, he doesn't need to be captain to play his best.

While thats true, I've often thought this team lacks leadership and accountability. A good captain could bring that. Giroux could be that guy with or without the C, but maybe with the C it carries more weight.

While thats true, I've often thought this team lacks leadership and accountability. A good captain could bring that. Giroux could be that guy with or without the C, but maybe with the C it carries more weight.

A letter on a sweater hopefully means nothing to the actual locker room. If you feel that a good captain could bring leadership and accountability, and don't feel the team has it now, then logically no existing player on the roster should be captain.

A letter on a sweater hopefully means nothing to the actual locker room. If you feel that a good captain could bring leadership and accountability, and don't feel the team has it now, then logically no existing player on the roster should be captain.

It could be that since there is no captain its lacking. These guys get used to structure and without it it may make the leadership suffer.

It could be that since there is no captain its lacking. These guys get used to structure and without it it may make the leadership suffer.

I think you might be overrating the captaincy. Experienced players don't forget their lessons because they don't have an A or C on their sweater. Giroux can, and should, lead by example - on the ice, and how he handles himself off the ice.

I think you might be overrating the captaincy. Experienced players don't forget their lessons because they don't have an A or C on their sweater. Giroux can, and should, lead by example - on the ice, and how he handles himself off the ice.

Then whats the problem with him wearing the C?

Then whats the problem with him wearing the C?

It's still Pronger's, which helps justify the LTIR, and the cap exception with the LTIR. He hasn't retired, so he's still captain.

Also, I'm kind of in the "it stands for Cursed" camp. That's a lot of coincidences the last dozen seasons...

if Briere showed up more regularly during the regular season, one could make a case for him, but....

Briere does show up night in and night out in the locker room and with the media. I also think a shorter season bodes well for Briere as there won't be a need to "save" himself.