Is it time to name the Captain?

Guest murraycraven

Poulin didn't teach Lindros to skate with his head down and he didn't pick a string to over the hill old croaks.

I still attest that Richie did just fine as a captain... for some reason the press and the fans hated him, but the team did fine with him and he was healthy.

If it's a curse of Captains for a guy to take you to the Finals and only lose in the playoffs to the eventual cup winners every year he's a captain, that's not really much of a curse.

That said, I think as you point out, it is a strike shortened year and I don't see the need to name a new captain this year. I certainly don't see the need to Rush it to Giroux.

Briere and Kimmo are sort of flip sides to the same coin. One does great all season and then falls apart / gets hurt / tires out for the playoffs... the other maybe starts slow, but turns the switch over for the playoffs.

Kimmo was the one talking about how unmotivated they all were in years past. He often liked to say so while he himself was playing poorly. Does giving him that leadership role inspire him to buck up and play tougher? Does giving it to Briere for the first 50 inspire him to do the same for that stretch?

Or does giving it to either guy merely insure they end the season on the IR?

What did they do to Poulin?

Given the short season, I think you need a vet of Tiimonen's stature to be the big guy. if Briere showed up more regularly during the regular season, one could make a case for him, but....

It's still Pronger's, which helps justify the LTIR, and the cap exception with the LTIR. He hasn't retired, so he's still captain.

Also, I'm kind of in the "it stands for Cursed" camp. That's a lot of coincidences the last dozen seasons...

I don't buy that cursed stuff.

They thought the saem thing about Richards and rushed that along. It turned out to be a bad decision. Leave Giroux alone and let him develop. There is no need to rush this, especially when you have timmonen and Briere (both fromers captains) on the roster

He was one of the top leaders in scoring last season. He wants the C. He led the team all season. I don't see it as rushing it. If he wants it what is everyone afraid of?

Giroux would know best if he is ready.

I always say an older player is best. More experience in different situations, respect for someone whom has tenure in the league goes a long way. Older players may not take leadership as well from a young 'hot-shot' sometimes too. Jagr, last year was the perfect candidate. He set the example, the work ethic rubbed off, had professional experience in just about all NHL situations.

A young kid, no matter how good, just hasn't put in the time to carry the weight. And it's unrealistic to expect him to. Don't throw that onto the shoulders of your top scorer. He has enough pressure making sure he puts up points every night. Let someone else be captain.

Stop gap I'd say Timmo or Briere. Long term I'd like Max Talbot.

He was one of the top leaders in scoring last season. He wants the C. He led the team all season. I don't see it as rushing it. If he wants it what is everyone afraid of?

Here's what everyone is afraid of ...

In the 07-08 season, Mike richards led the team in scoring with 75 points. He was named an all star and was given a 12 contract. this was all on the promise of how good he just played, and how good he would be. The following season he was named captain for the same reason. Over the next few seasons he battled with the media and was not the saem player. June 2011, the so called heir apparent to Bobby Clarke was traded, 3 years after being made the captain.

Many opinions, mine included, say the pressure of being captain for this particular team, in this particular city, led to his departure. I also believe that his maturity level was not ready for such a position, accentuated by his pouting over the trade of his buddies (Lupol).

I realize Giroux is a different person, but I don't want to see the same mistake happen twice. Captains and goalies, the two things in Flyerland you don't ant to be.

I don't think I put it on an upcoming RFA at this point. Sign him long term, then give him the C.

Seems simple enough.

Here's what everyone is afraid of ...

In the 07-08 season, Mike richards led the team in scoring with 75 points. He was named an all star and was given a 12 contract. this was all on the promise of how good he just played, and how good he would be. The following season he was named captain for the same reason. Over the next few seasons he battled with the media and was not the saem player. June 2011, the so called heir apparent to Bobby Clarke was traded, 3 years after being made the captain.

Many opinions, mine included, say the pressure of being captain for this particular team, in this particular city, led to his departure. I also believe that his maturity level was not ready for such a position, accentuated by his pouting over the trade of his buddies (Lupol).

I realize Giroux is a different person, but I don't want to see the same mistake happen twice. Captains and goalies, the two things in Flyerland you don't ant to be.

I think Giroux is a completely different personality. I think he has the swagger to handle the position. Also, he wants it.

Fair enough, but I would imagine that long term deal is a forgone conclusion. If they let Giroux go it would be a complete disaster.

I learned a Long Time Ago to never believe in foregone conclusions...

"The Next Clarke" Captain "for life" Mike Richards says "hello" :-)

I think Giroux is a completely different personality. I think he has the swagger to handle the position. Also, he wants it.

How do you know he wants it? Has he said so? You may very well be right that he has the make up to handle this position. I wouldn't be surprised. However, what if he doesn't. What if the Flyers make him captain and the same thing happens that did with Richards? That is the kind of thing that will cost someone their job, and the team will look like a bunch of dolts for not knowing better (kinda like they do with their Goalie decisions). Like I said earlier, err on the side of caution. Let him have another season or two to get really comfortable. There is no real upside to rushing it

How do you know he wants it? Has he said so? You may very well be right that he has the make up to handle this position. I wouldn't be surprised. However, what if he doesn't. What if the Flyers make him captain and the same thing happens that did with Richards? That is the kind of thing that will cost someone their job, and the team will look like a bunch of dolts for not knowing better (kinda like they do with their Goalie decisions). Like I said earlier, err on the side of caution. Let him have another season or two to get really comfortable. There is no real upside to rushing it

Yes when they were interviewing him about it he smiled and said it would be awesome to be the captain.

He is a different personality than Richards.

I don't think Giroux would be rushing it. Young guys are captains all around the league and it works out well when they have the right personality for it.

Giroux seems to have the right personality for it. Just because Richards had a tough time with the media and his party buddies doesn't mean its going to happen with Giroux too.

That had more to do with the kind of person Richards was than being named captain too early and rushing into it.

It just doesn't make sense to assume the same thing is going to happen to Giroux. He's a different person with a different personality.

@Phillygrump I agree that Mike and Claude are different people, different personalities. But, the Coach makes a great point, you have to really error on the side of caution. If Claude wants it, then inevitably he will have it, which would be a great thing for the Flyers org and their fans. This really *is* his team right now, he sets the tone and other follow...that much we know. The big problem is *if* it does not work out (which I don't think will be the case), there is no where to go....it becomes super awkward. He has to want it, and he has to be ready for it.....so they should step cautiously. Personally, I think he would make one of the best captains in the league, I don't see a problem with it, but when dealing with your one true superstar, you better make sure you get your ducks in a row.