Could Laughton make the squad?

Guest brelic

Laviolette said that Laughton was noticeable in his first day at camp, and that he didn't look out of place at all.

Laughton, for his part, intends on making the squad. He says he's in 'mid-season form'.

Gonna be interesting to watch him, even if it's just for 5 games.

EDIT: BTW, how do you pronounce his name? Is it LAW-ton? LAFF-ton? LOCK-ton?

LAW-ton

Thanks... it was driving me bonkers. I was stuck between LAW-ton and LAFF-ton.

Trips me up. I guess it's like those people whose last name is Cockburn, but they insist it's pronounced CO-burn. I would insist that too.

LOL. Also, if my last name was Hunt, I wouldn't be naming junior "Mike"

Haha, nice.

What about David Bowie, naming his son Zowie. Or Zappa naming his daughters Moon Unit, and Diva Thin Muffin Pigeen Zappa.

Them are just strange names. Love both Bowie and Zappa though...

I just had a thought--which doesn't happen often--what if their thinking is bringing Laughton in, getting him a year of experience, and buying Briere out in the offseason. I know there's another thread on buyouts/Briere, etc..and I am not advocating it, but it's worth considering.

But no Bryz, no Timonen, and no Briere adds up to a WHOLE LOT OF CAP SPACE GOING ON into 2013-14.

@DaGreatGazoo

I was actually wondering about this myself. With Schenn, Coutourier, Giroux and (maybe) Laughton the Flyers could have a young productive offense for some time to come. Briere may simply be the odd man out come this off-season. If Schenn and Coutourier can add to their post season experience and production then Danny might not be needed any more.

But no Bryz, no Timonen, and no Briere adds up to a WHOLE LOT OF CAP SPACE GOING ON into 2013-14.

It's a very compelling scenario I will admit. I think it depends a great deal on Briere's play between now and June. But people should realize that his unique skillset (elite playmaking, especially behind the opposition net) and clutch sniping, don't exactly grow on trees.

If only we sucked really bad for a decade and got to pick multiple Drouin's to replace guys like Briere :ph34r:

Edited by Podein25

I just had a thought--which doesn't happen often--what if their thinking is bringing Laughton in, getting him a year of experience, and buying Briere out in the offseason. I know there's another thread on buyouts/Briere, etc..and I am not advocating it, but it's worth considering.

hmmm very interesting thought....are you sure you haven't had your daily supply of fermented hops yet...have ya! ;)

@DaGreatGazoo

I was actually wondering about this myself. With Schenn, Coutourier, Giroux and (maybe) Laughton the Flyers could have a young productive offense for some time to come. Briere may simply be the odd man out come this off-season. If Schenn and Coutourier can add to their post season experience and production then Danny might not be needed any more.

I think it would be a bad move to buy him out. Briere is a good guy on the ice and off the ice. Even *if* Briere were to have a bad season, considering what he's done for the Flyers, it would be a dick move. Briere's contract is not a 'problem' contract, he's not a locker room cancer, he doesn't air out any strong political views.

I mean, I can see the 'practical' side of freeing up $6.3M, but I just don't think Briere is the way you do it.

• Like 1

@brelic

I don't necessarily want him bought out. I'd rather see Briere stick around but I do also think it may be a business decision.

It all depends on what the Flyers' plan is in the next couple of seasons. Remember we have to resign Giroux, B. Schenn, Read and Coutourier at the end of next season. These players will likely command a higher salary and there will be a lower cap. What if someone places an offer sheet on one of these players? Briere might be a victim of numbers if the Flyers want to resign these players and play in free agency.

Ya know what would be CLASSIC. Flyers buy him out, and then he signs in Buffalo. If that happens, we HAVE to let our halibut-eating friend back in here for a few days!!!

More Buffalo Rick flashbacks in ......3.....2......1........ ;)

With the limited time in training camp, and the Flyers depth at forward, I would be surprised if he makes the team. I've never seen him play though, so what do I know?

With the limited time in training camp, and the Flyers depth at forward, I would be surprised if he makes the team. I've never seen him play though, so what do I know?

" so what do I know?" .... excellent point

LOL. Also, if my last name was Hunt, I wouldn't be naming junior "Mike"

When I was in unniversity, I bar tended at the local watering whole. We had a couple of hot blonde female bar backs as well. There was a separate phone line in the kitchen and we would call the bar.....and you can figure out the rest. Very adolescent, but the one bar maid would never pick up on it (and the other one never told her). She would spend a good five minutes....has anyone seen .....blah blah blah.

@brelic

I don't necessarily want him bought out. I'd rather see Briere stick around but I do also think it may be a business decision.

It all depends on what the Flyers' plan is in the next couple of seasons. Remember we have to resign Giroux, B. Schenn, Read and Coutourier at the end of next season. These players will likely command a higher salary and there will be a lower cap. What if someone places an offer sheet on one of these players? Briere might be a victim of numbers if the Flyers want to resign these players and play in free agency.

You are speaking of the economics of the game, and that is exactly what must be considered as it impacts everything now more than ever before. Case in point, starting the season now in January.