Flyers Vs Sabres

Guest phlfly

i wouldn't call the sabres a solid team. they brought leino in because they needed a 1st line center. enough said, you know?

good goalie, a good player here and there, but overall bottom rung, imo.

it's the flyers game to lose. which they are entirely capable of. in their hands, though.

Totally agree. I like their goaltending and defense but they are going to struggle to score goals. Nice win last night. I learned my lesson from the this season that no lead is safe so when it was 3 - 0 I just sat back and waited. Apparently so did the Flyers. Still a nice quality road win when missing some keep players.

I said it in the SB that Bryzgalov just looks way too casual in net. Fishbulb called it nonchalant, and then the game announcers used the same term a few minutes later ;) Guess they must be lurking!

Anyway, if Bryz has a little more urgency in his game and positioning, that 2nd Buffalo goal doesn't happen. He would have been back on time and in position.

I'll take the win.

Only got to see the end of the 2nd and the 3rd period, so I never saw the Flyers score. JVR had a nice shot, as did Hartnell. And good to see Couturier score. For the most part, (as usual) I saw a team clinging to a lead and hanging on to it by the skin of their teeth. The team still doesn't have the killer instinct. And Bryz played well, but let in 2 soft goals. Man there have been some bad bounces end up in our net this year.

Pass the halibut.

I'll take the win.

Only got to see the end of the 2nd and the 3rd period, so I never saw the Flyers score. JVR had a nice shot, as did Hartnell. And good to see Couturier score. For the most part, (as usual) I saw a team clinging to a lead and hanging on to it by the skin of their teeth. The team still doesn't have the killer instinct. And Bryz played well, but let in 2 soft goals. Man there have been some bad bounces end up in our net this year.

Pass the halibut.

I think it's the coaching. Ever since Laviolette has been here, we have had a really hard time hanging onto leads and closing out games. This stretches back at least 2 full seasons. I think his first season was the exception because there was still a lot of the John Stevens stamp on the club. But since then, we've been extremely undisciplined, poor in our defensive end, and unable to cling to leads.

Oh well. We almost won a Cup. That's gotta count for something, right??? ;)

From LeBrun's article on ESPN.ugh:

I had a short chat with Ryan Miller this morning and asked him why he thought the team was inconsistent.

“We’re just not playing our system,” Miller told ESPN.com.

His concern is that this is what happened a year ago, and the Sabres dug themselves an early-season hole.

Head coach Lindy Ruff is showing his impatience now by juggling lines. He’s had a hard time, as you mentioned, getting Leino going. You have to wonder if signing the biggest contract of his career has put too much pressure right now on the Finnish forward. It’s always easier, mentally, to be the guy claimed off waivers with no expectations like he was in Philly. Everything he did was gravy in that context. Now he’s an offseason marquee signing, and that carries a burden. Miller, meanwhile, knows a thing or two about pressure, having been named 2010 Olympic hockey MVP. Sabres fans were on him last night, but let’s be honest: Two of those goals were near-perfect shots.

“Honestly, if you want to break it down, and if you really know hockey, those were two really nice shots,’’ Miller told me. “I’d like to at least get a piece of them, but they were nice shots. What are you going to do? Most days I think you can get a piece of those.’’

Don't feel like breaking this down. "We're not playing our system.." When your dman keeps a forward to the outside and the forward just blows one past you? That's not on a "system."

And Leino is struggling because he has too much pressure? No, he's struggling because he isn't the player they thought and signed him to be.