Burke Fired in Toronto

Guest radoran

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/brian-burke-fired-toronto-maple-leafs-general-manager-173540981--nhl.html

The Toronto Maple Leafs have fired general manager Brian Burke just days before the expected start of training camp for the 2013 season, ending four years that produced plenty of controversy but not a single appearance in the playoffs. Bob McKenzie of TSN was first with the news.

Strange time to fire your GM - right before the season and after the FA period and draft, not to mention the immediate need to get a team ready for the regular season.

• Like 3

Funny thing is, I see specualtion (teh Twitter) that he was fired because he DIDN'T want Luongo...

I read the same. It really is a strange time to fire your GM. They could have fired him *before* the lockout, too. Not like anything's changed since September.

In any case, Burke has more or less isolated himself in this league with his abrasive attitude toward other GMs, and I would guess they're not too keen on trading with him.

In any case, Burke has more or less isolated himself in this league with his abrasive attitude toward other GMs, and I would guess they're not too keen on trading with him.

Hmmm... you mean like giving offer sheets to RFAs with clauses and terms deliberately designed to make it Quite Difficult to match?

What kind of irrational hockey executives do things like that?

:ph34r:

• Like 1

But why did they keep him until the eve of the season? Because he was involved in the CBA talks? I don't get it.

On the TSN page (and as @Podein25 said), I read that it was because they felt it would have been inappropriate to fire him during the lockout. Either way, very poor timing.

@yave1964

If the first one wasn't, the second was certainly "Goodenough"!

Goodenough? Elementary Watson, if you work for Dupont and on your lunch go to the Barber so you look nice when you visit your Parent whose name is Steve making you Stephen son, before you go skate put your blade on or you will be (Orested.