Burke Fired in Toronto

Guest radoran

Goodenough? Elementary Watson, if you work for Dupont and on your lunch go to the Barber so you look nice when you visit your Parent whose name is Steve making you Stephen son, before you go skate put your blade on or you will be (Orested.

:lol:

@yave1964 " I Guess you are accusing me of Barclay Plagerism, lol. Lets see who is old enough to know who that is."

Just for that I hope your wife plays with your Tootoo tonight....yeah, that's right, you're not out of the "Woods" yet...but the window is almost "Shutt".

Bob Mackenzie feels it's b/c the Leafs ownership was transferred to a new group and they were looking for a more PC/Fan friendly face for the franchise.

That's as stupid as the Habs rejecting a coach because he isn't French enough.

If they honestly feel Burke wasn't doing a good job, then fine. But if they fired him because they want to endear themselves more to fans and media? Well, that tells you all you need to know about the Laffs.

Burke has a well deserved reputation as a tool. But he also has a well deserved reputation as a solid NHL executive as well. He is known as Bettmans boy, he worked for him before taking over as the GM of the Canucks. Maybe this is the first salvo in the war between the hawks and moderates in the most recent labor fiasco and a sign that Bettman may finally be on the way out.....

It's strange they waited til now to fire him. He is definately full of himself and that could rub you the wrong way. Of course if he's bringing W's and playoff runs and the odd cup to Toronto I could see putting up with Mr. Press Conference.

But in 4 years as GM of the Leafs, with full control and as open a pocketbook as any GM in the league enjoys, Burke

1. Failed to get a sniff of postseason

2. Failed to acquire a #1 center

3. Failed to acquire a #1 goalie (Homer is safe in the center dept...)

4 Really hasn't got a whole lot to show draft choice-wise for a tenure of futility that resulted in zero games that meant anything to the franchise.

• Like 1

Strange time to fire your GM - right before the season and after the FA period and draft, not to mention the immediate need to get a team ready for the regular season.

I guess the new board did not like him bringing Irish Whiskey to the board meetings and given them the same spiel over and over. Seriously, he definitely pissed someone(s) off on the board. There is no way you make this move at this time of year if not otherwise. Additionally, Noonis is a puppet / yes man. I doubt he will be the permanent replacement for Burke.

That said, I believe we have to give homage where homage is due:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Zh1szSHbyM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXkdU_Kd7pA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg8jZzFqa3w

But why did they keep him until the eve of the season? Because he was involved in the CBA talks? I don't get it.

I was in Toronto that day and he crossed paths with new ownership as only Burke could do. Dave Noonis was in shock. This was not a planned move. And Burke did oppose Luongo.

• Like 1

Bob Mackenzie feels it's b/c the Leafs ownership was transferred to a new group and they were looking for a more PC/Fan friendly face for the franchise.

Exactly. Enter Dave Noonis. His press conference comments exacty reflected that sentiment.