Luongo to the Flyers?

Navyhockey

So I don't know how much I buy there is serious interest, but multiple writers are reporting that the Flyers are indeed interested in trading for Luongo. And if this is true, I can't possibly imagine how this would work out. What would we be giving up to get him? Why have that much money tied up in goaltending this season, even with the possibility of buying out at least one of the goalies in the offseason, if not both?

I will agree with anyone that says when Luongo is on, he is as good as they get. However, what confidence can you possibly have in him being on? Do you really think the Flyers are on the cusp this season and Bryz is the only thing keeping them from winning it all? I just don't see the logic in this move. I rather trade for that franchise D that will take Kimmo's spot next season and beyond. Interested on other people's thoughts. Maybe I am off on my thinking because I'm not in the States, so I may not have the full picture on how dire our goaltending situation is, or how cheap Luongo could be had.

With Luongo, Flyers will be favourites, without a doubt. I would love to see this happen. If Luongo's gotta go, might as well go to the team I used to cheer for every year when the Canucks didn't make the playoffs... Not to mention, screwing the Leafs at the same time would be hilarious AND Philly has way better talent to offer and more of it.

Also, what if Bryz stays in Russia?

Dare to dream B to B... dare to dream.

@Navyhockey

i wonder if we have a lead dog on our blue line already, I know i'm in the minority here but when healthy, Grossmann , Coburn, Metzaros & Timmonen is a fing good top 4 and i think we'll like what Luke Schenn brings, if we can manage his psyche well, he has the ability to grow into a Foote type or Orpik + player . that's a nice top 5, i know the crop of UFAs is not good next year. Maybe one of the prospects in Glenn Falls steps up.... i'm not feeling very despondent over our d-corps.

i would hope to not trade for luongo unless bryz goes the other way we can only take so many stupid contracts.

• Like 1

With Luongo, Flyers will be favourites, without a doubt. I would love to see this happen. If Luongo's gotta go, might as well go to the team I used to cheer for every year when the Canucks didn't make the playoffs... Not to mention, screwing the Leafs at the same time would be hilarious AND Philly has way better talent to offer and more of it.

Really? Hmmmm, how then did he play in the playoffs?

ah, I see the real reason here.....what would you be looking at in a trade for Luongo, you know you would have to get Bryz in return?

james duthie ‏@tsnjamesduthie

Despite some denials, the tweet earlier from @EnricoCiccone is accurate. The Flyers are interested in Roberto Luongo.

adater ‏@adater

Just heard what everyone else heard: Flyers are now players in Luongo hunt. #gameon

Frank Seravalli ‏@DNFlyers

Flyers GM Paul Holmgren on Luongo rumors: "That made me chuckle. Safe to say they aren't true. They have no basis or merit."

LOL, when the Flyers bother to deny rumours, that usually means they're true.

Holmgren did a total Jedi mind trick on Jeff Carter. "Here's a 7 year contract, Jeff. You won't be traded, I swear. Here, put on this blue jersey for a sec..."

• Like 2

Cause gm's admit to rumours... And Luongo was fine in the playoffs last year, not his fault the team no showed. He was was also fantastic despite a couple games in the cup run, and posted 2 shutouts in the finals, where his team no showed. don't let the media brainwash you, great goalie... You guys should be all over this.

• Like 1

Luongo buyout - $27m over 18 years

Bryz buyout - $23m over 14 years

Pronger remains LTIR

Briere retires a Flyer as he should.

2 buyouts for $50m would increase a wealthy elderly man's odds at his ultimate wish.

That's even crazy for him.

@BrowntoBure

I remember Schneider playing well in the playoffs replacing Luongo. ;)

Thought of you yesterday when I read some blog by some Toronto fan that stated that Raymond would have to be a part of a deal to send Luongo to the Laufs.

I can see the Flyers most interested in trading for a D-man, so I see this whole topic as a smoke screen.

@hf101 I might take some heat for this, but I'm ok with Luongo as long as the price is not outragous. Only for the following reasons:

A) We have no legit goalie

B) If we do not pay to much, this is only a try out.

C) This is Comcast we are talking about, they should use their BILLIONS to take a shot here. A million to them is like a thousand to us.

D) I would not even consider this if the buy outs were not there for the using

E) I don't think Luongo played poorly in the playoffs, he was a scapegoat.

F) It is worth the risk, if he does not look good (this year OR next) buy him and Bryz out and start from scratch.

G) this is a sitation where the Flyers should take full advantage of being the richest owner in the NHL..throw your cash around, be a bully and take a legit shot at improving a situation that has hauntted us for DECADES.

H) Luongo would INSTANTLY be the best Flyer goalie since Lindburgh (God rest his soul). Yes, he is better than Hextall ever was (and I liked Ron).

EDIT...H) Only if Vancouver realizes what the rest of the NHL already knows...they are SCREWED. They are in a horrible bargaining position.

I) I'm worried about the salary cap ramifications....taking on Roberto large salary means legit NHL talent in the way of actual salary would have to go the other way...that worries me.

J)I was thinking Cousins, a 2nd and another mid level prospect. They want more than that they can pound salt

K) It makes no sense getting Luongo if you rip apart the current roster to accomplish it, it makes the move counter prodcutive.

@jammer2

A) Bryz has at least been playing and is probably in better game shape right now than Luongo

B) The buyout on Luongo is greater.

C) So they buyout either goalie at the end of the summer......I really don't see much advantage here.

D) I wouldn't consider this unless a D-man were coming with Luongo

E) Luongo had a 3.59 GAA and a 0.891 save % in the playoffs

F) again I'm only considering the deal if we get a d-man.

G) Luongo's best days are behind him in my opinion. I think Bryz has more to prove and that means something.

H) Luongo would be another goalie past his prime to the Flyers.

@hf101 The Canucks certainly have the defensive depth to make the deal bigger. Hmmmm, more players means we give up more, this worries me, but I'd have to see the deal. We are pretty thin on the Wing, I don't us being able to spare a NHL winger....which means our defense (ha ha) and centermen could be the only kind of players we could spare.

@hf101 I might take some heat for this, but I'm ok with Luongo as long as the price is not outragous. Only for the following reasons:

A) We have no legit goalie

B) If we do not pay to much, this is only a try out.

C) This is Comcast we are talking about, they should use their BILLIONS to take a shot here. A million to them is like a thousand to us.

D) I would not even consider this if the buy outs were not there for the using

E) I don't think Luongo played poorly in the playoffs, he was a scapegoat.

F) It is worth the risk, if he does not look good (this year OR next) buy him and Bryz out and start from scratch.

G) this is a sitation where the Flyers should take full advantage of being the richest owner in the NHL..throw your cash around, be a bully and take a legit shot at improving a situation that has hauntted us for DECADES.

H) Luongo would INSTANTLY be the best Flyer goalie since Lindburgh (God rest his soul). Yes, he is better than Hextall ever was (and I liked Ron).

EDIT...H) Only if Vancouver realizes what the rest of the NHL already knows...they are SCREWED. They are in a horrible bargaining position.

I) I'm worried about the salary cap ramifications....taking on Roberto large salary means legit NHL talent in the way of actual salary would have to go the other way...that worries me.

J)I was thinking Cousins, a 2nd and another mid level prospect. They want more than that they can pound salt

K) It makes no sense getting Luongo if you rip apart the current roster to accomplish it, it makes the move counter prodcutive.

@jammer2,

I agree with most of what you're saying, but I'm not sure how this would work out. If Luongo is bought out, he is a free agent and can go anywhere he wants. There is no gaurantee he goes to the Flyers.

And how to afford him if he is traded (instead of buy out). Bryz gets bought out and the Flyers only save $300K. If I'm not mistaken, the cap goes down next year and the buy outs were agreed to so teams could lose some salary to get cap compliant. I don't see how this move helps (much). The Flyers would still need to dump significant salary.

@jammer2

I think Holmgren has some interest but the main reason to talk to Vancouver is to get a d-man, the media probably perceives this as interest to get Luongo, Holmgren probably says he inquired about his status to the media to get them off his real purpose....so in the mean time this ups the amount the Laufs will have to trade for him.

@AlaskaFlyerFan I had no idea Luongo's playoff stats were that bad. He played respectable last season, I know that....more the teams fault. The one thing that does worry me...the Canucks have a significantly better defense than the Flyers do...he has the potential to be exposed much more in Philly than Vancouver...more second shots, more odd man rushes....I dunno...

@jammer2,

I agree with most of what you're saying, but I'm not sure how this would work out. If Luongo is bought out, he is a free agent and can go anywhere he wants. There is no gaurantee he goes to the Flyers.

And how to afford him if he is traded (instead of buy out). Bryz gets bought out and the Flyers only save $300K. If I'm not mistaken, the cap goes down next year and the buy outs were agreed to so teams could lose some salary to get cap compliant. I don't see how this move helps (much). The Flyers would still need to dump significant salary.

Yep, so why would the Flyers trade for a goalie on a tryout?? It doesn't make sense. Keep Bryz for the season. Sign a FA goalie.

@hf101 " Yep, so why would the Flyers trade for a goalie on a tryout??"

Because *if* the price is reasonable trade wise, it's far better than any other option we have on the table. I just don't see how it works cap wise. Seems unrealistic at this point, unless there are variables at work I don't know about.....

Because *if* the price is reasonable trade wise, it's far better than any other option we have on the table. I just don't see how it works cap wise. Seems unrealistic at this point, unless there are variables at work I don't know about.....

But you are assuming Luongo will be a better goalie this season than Bryzgalov. I can't assume that. It really doesn't make sense to me to trade players away to an opponent just to buy Luongo out in the summer. Capwise.....Luongo cost is a bit less, but still not enough to trade away players for, imo......Bryz's cap hit is 5.66M Luongo's is 5.33.

@hf101 I have never seen Luongo play as horrible as Bryz did against Pittsburgh....win or not. Bryz has flawed fundamentals that will never get fixed at his age. It's really as simple as that.

You didn't see him in Boston during the SCF's??

Good to be back...and that hockey soon is back too :D

I have a hard time to believe the Flyers will pick up Luongo. TWO huge goalie contracts? Unless they have already decided to buy out Bryzgalov this summer regardless. Vancouver won´t get much in return for Luongo´s contract, but I honestly believe the Flyers will give Bryzgalov his 2nd (and only) chance to prove himself. Unless he has a Vezina-type season, he will be bought out this summer. I think that if the Flyers make a deal for a goalie, it will be for a better backup. Leighton won´t cut it if Bryzgalov does falter again.

Also, the Flyers can´t tie themselves up to another huge goalie contract untill they have sorted out their shortcomings on defense. As I understand, it´s still not clear if Mez is 100% good to go. If not, and say Timo and his banged up and aging body has a slow start, they will need to bolster their defense corps first.

Edited by OSR29

After what we went through with Bryzgalov, anyone who wants to take on that Luongo contract needs their head read (no offence). Most of the people here were positive Bryz was going to be the answer in net, now it's going to be Luongo? The guy Vancouver wants to get rid of as bad as we want Cosmolov out? Please bang your head against the wall and reboot.

If Luongo and bryz both were bought out and Luongo wanted to sign here for 3 years at a reasonable caphit, I'd think about it. But his contract is every bit as bad as Bryz'. And if I was at all interested in trading for him, I wouldn't give up more than a 2nd rounder...they want out of that contract bad.

• Like 2

....Scatching my head....correct me if I am wrong....BUT are't we trying to get out from cap hell? Why take on just as big as a contract. Also, if I remember correctly, Luongo can be a mental basket case himself. I must admit since he played in Vanccouver, I did not watch as many games. (just got to damm late at night).

I agree he would be an upgrade..but is it worth the cost and headaches?

Just curious???