Luongo to the Flyers?

Navyhockey

LOL, when the Flyers bother to deny rumours, that usually means they're true.

Holmgren did a total Jedi mind trick on Jeff Carter. "Here's a 7 year contract, Jeff. You won't be traded, I swear. Here, put on this blue jersey for a sec..."

Oh you mean this?????

ST. PAUL, Minn. -- If you have been looking for a reason, aside from sheer disappointment, that Jeff Carter has yet to publicly address his stunning trade to Columbus on Thursday, listen to his agent.

Carter’s agent, Philadelphia based Rick Curran, told the Columbus Dispatch on Friday that Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren lied to Carter earlier in the week in a face-to-face meeting.

“He is disappointed,” Curran said on Friday morning in the Minneapolis Hilton lobby. “But that’s no reflection of Columbus. It’s more that he made a commitment to Philadelphia.”

Curran said that commitment started three years ago when his client was presented with an offer sheet when he was a restricted free agent. Carter declined.

“He had the opportunity to go somewhere on an offer sheet,” Curran said. “The Flyers told him that he would be one of their cornerstone players.”

Then, last November, in the final year of his 3-year, $15 million deal, the Flyers approached Carter to sign a long-term deal.

“They said that they would need some help on the AAV [average annual value] of the deal [a longer deal to produce a lower cap number],” Curran said. “He said that he liked it here [in Philadelphia] and liked his teammates. He said that if they wanted him, he would make the commitment.”

Carter, 26, inked an 11-year, $58 million deal on Nov. 13, 2010. He surely could have earned more on the open market. Instead, Carter did what he could to stay in Philly.

Last summer, he purchased a new beach house in Sea Isle City, N.J., fully expecting to be in the area for the duration of his career. That all changed on Thursday, when his life was turned upside down on Friday.

His no-trade clause was set to kick in on July 1, 2012.

The shocking part is that Carter and Holmgren met face-to-face earlier in the week, to discuss the apparent rumors, and Holmgren re-assured Carter he was not being moved.

Carter had long been discussed as an option for the Flyers to move once they acquired Ilya Bryzgalov’s rights on June 7. It was apparent that they would need to move a significant chunk of salary in order to sign the free agent goaltender. Carter’s cap number was the only fit.

“Jeff called me and asked about the rumors two weeks ago,” Curran said. “He figured teams were asking about him anyways. I called Paul and I asked him if this is something we should be concerned about.

“Paul assured me that there was nothing to worry about, that they weren’t interested in trading Jeff. He told me that Jeff could come in and meet with him to tell him the same things. And he did. He assured him that they weren’t trading him.”

Rumored or not, you can imagine Carter’s shock when he heard about the trade on Thursday.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/frequentflyers/Carters-agent-Holmgren-lied.html

I have mixed emotions. I think a change of scenery would do wonders for Luongo. Their salaries (Bryz is only slightly higher) are similar as is the length of their contracts (Luongo - UFA 2022, Bryz - 2020). Bryz also has a lot less wear and tear on his body and has been playing.

I can see Vancouver wanting to make the move as they pulled Luongo several times in the playoffs. There are few teams in which they could swap their goalie with that contract and get a goalie in return. To me that means Homer can try to get more from Vancouver.

I think our defense if healthy is OK for our top 5. Kimo comes off the books after this season and we can use that $6 milliion to add a puck moving guy. To me I am still concerned with our depth at wing. If Vancouver were to make Zach Kassian and Luongo I would seriously consider it

I have mixed emotions. I think a change of scenery would do wonders for Luongo. Their salaries (Bryz is only slightly higher) are similar as is the length of their contracts (Luongo - UFA 2022, Bryz - 2020). Bryz also has a lot less wear and tear on his body and has been playing.

I can see Vancouver wanting to make the move as they pulled Luongo several times in the playoffs. There are few teams in which they could swap their goalie with that contract and get a goalie in return. To me that means Homer can try to get more from Vancouver.

I think our defense if healthy is OK for our top 5. Kimo comes off the books after this season and we can use that $6 milliion to add a puck moving guy. To me I am still concerned with our depth at wing. If Vancouver were to make Zach Kassian and Luongo I would seriously consider it

I highly doubt Vancouver would want Bryz and his contract in return after finally getting rid of Luongo's. Now, the Flyers, we're tailor-made for these kinds of nonsensical moves!!

I highly doubt Vancouver would want Bryz and his contract in return after finally getting rid of Luongo's. Now, the Flyers, we're tailor-made for these kinds of nonsensical moves!!

Sad but true. The only reason I think there is a slight chance is that there are few (if any of teams) that could make that move both in salary, length of contract, and position. Luongo definitely needs out of BC but there are very limited options with the Flyers being one of them.

I have mixed emotions.

I do too. On one hand, I honestly can't imagine Luongo playing any worse than Bryz did last year both in th eregular season and in the playoffs. Hell, I can't see *anybody* play any worse.... not even an AHL goalie. That's how pitiful Bryz' performance was last year. I don't think there is any doubt that Bryz was the worst Flyer in the post-season last year.

On the other hand, the first problem I see with bringing Luongo here is he would have to come through trade, at least at this point in the season. Correct? No doubt in my mind Vancouver will want a farm for him. And the Flyers don't have much to give up at this point. Secondly, while Luongo does not have so many fundemental flaws as Bryz does, he has shown equal inability to play big when games matter the most. Both Bryz and Luongo crumble like a sand house under pressure. So I am asking myself what would bringing Luongo's equally detrimental contract possibly accomplish.

Honestly, I think the Flyers' defense is bad enough to counter even brilliant goaltending. And God knows, Luongo is far from being brilliant. Therefore, as unpopular as it may seem, I think the Flyers would be foolish to be spending on the goaltender this season. I just don't see them doing anything speacial this season, so why spend money? I really think they would be better off by just trying to win as many games as possible, spilling some dead weight after this season, and going hard after quality free agents next summer.

Edited by Mad Dog
  • Like 2

I do too. On one hand, I honestly can't imagine Luongo playing any worse than Bryz did last year both in th eregular season and in the playoffs. Hell, I can't see *anybody* play any worse.... not even an AHL goalie. That's how pitiful Bryz' performance was last year. I don't think there is any doubt that Bryz was the worst Flyer in the post-season last year.

On the other hand, the first problem I see with bringing Luongo here is he would have to come through trade, at least at this point in the season. Correct? No doubt in my mind Vancouver will want a farm for him. And the Flyers don't have much to give up at this point. Secondly, while Luongo does not so many fundemental flaws as Bryz does, he has shown equal inability to play big when games matter the most. Both Bryz and Luongo crumble like a sand house under pressure. So I am asking myself what would bringing Luongo's equally detrimental contract possibly accomplish.

Honestly, I think the Flyers' defense is bad enough to counter even brilliant goaltending. And God knows, Luongo is far from being brilliant. Therefore, as unpopular as it may seem, I think the Flyers would be foolish to be spending on the goaltender this season. I just don't see them doing anything speacial this season, so why spend money? I really think they would be better off by just trying to win as many games as possible, spilling some dead weight after this season, and going hard after quality free agents next summer.

Right there with ya MD!

On the other hand, the first problem I see with bringing Luongo here is he would have to come through trade, at least at this point in the season. Correct? No doubt in my mind Vancouver will want a farm for him. And the Flyers don't have much to give up at this point. Secondly, while Luongo does not have so many fundemental flaws as Bryz does, he has shown equal inability to play big when games matter the most. Both Bryz and Luongo crumble like a sand house under pressure. So I am asking myself what would bringing Luongo's equally detrimental contract possibly accomplish.

It was a panic move acquiring Bryz in the first place......it would be an even more of a panic move knowing that Bryz was a bust and trying to acqurie Luongo. It would be like trading out a rotten apple with a piece of rotten chicken coated in Salmonella.

Think about this....Lounog WAS BENCHED for part of the series vs Boston in the SCF....The SCF and he is not even playing....granted he was benched for Cory Schnieder (a young but very good goalie)...but none the less he was benched...that has to tell you something...

Is it worth switching out one basket case for another......

I agree with MD...suffer this year with Bryz, get rid of contract over the summer and then find a good FA goalie over the summer when one has a better hande of the situation and you can make good educated decision.....but hey this is the Flyers / Homer / and Snider and that is not their M.O.

...in the words of Yoda from Empire Strikes Back when talking to Luke when Luke said he was not afraid....

"BE AFRAID.....BE VERY, VERY AFRAID"..........

It was a panic move acquiring Bryz in the first place.....

Oh without a doubt it was a panic move. The Old Man, in his true compulsive fashion, took it to the extreme after the loss to Boston. Sure, it was an ugly series for the Flyers; nobody liked it. But there was NO reason to over-react like that. It is quite clear to me the Flyers did a very poor job (if did at all) scouting Bryz; they just wanted a big name and went after that big name at whatever the price possible. They did not bother to spend even 5 minutes trying to look at Bryz' career, his history in the playoffs, undertsand why Bryz was remotely successful in Dave Tippett's system... They did nothing.

Had they have any desire to just seat down, rationally think it through, evaluate all pros and cons, and weigh all their options, they would have recognized that giving Bob reigns to the #1 was a far more superior and rational plan. He may not have turned into Martin Brodeur, but at the very least they would not have chained themselves to the ludicrous, asinine contract, which, by the way, now they are contemplating buying out... Alas, the Flyers did what the Flyers do best - react instead of thinking.

And now, if they decide to trade for Luongo, they would basically acknowedge to the whole world that they *did* panic and screw up. And then, in a few years, when Luongo also falls on his face, they will react again. And then again. And again...

At some point one would think they have learned something. :mellow:

@hf101 I might take some heat for this, but I'm ok with Luongo as long as the price is not outragous. Only for the following reasons:

A) We have no legit goalie

B) If we do not pay to much, this is only a try out.

C) This is Comcast we are talking about, they should use their BILLIONS to take a shot here. A million to them is like a thousand to us.

D) I would not even consider this if the buy outs were not there for the using

E) I don't think Luongo played poorly in the playoffs, he was a scapegoat.

F) It is worth the risk, if he does not look good (this year OR next) buy him and Bryz out and start from scratch.

G) this is a sitation where the Flyers should take full advantage of being the richest owner in the NHL..throw your cash around, be a bully and take a legit shot at improving a situation that has hauntted us for DECADES.

H) Luongo would INSTANTLY be the best Flyer goalie since Lindburgh (God rest his soul). Yes, he is better than Hextall ever was (and I liked Ron).

EDIT...H) Only if Vancouver realizes what the rest of the NHL already knows...they are SCREWED. They are in a horrible bargaining position.

I) I'm worried about the salary cap ramifications....taking on Roberto large salary means legit NHL talent in the way of actual salary would have to go the other way...that worries me.

J)I was thinking Cousins, a 2nd and another mid level prospect. They want more than that they can pound salt

K) It makes no sense getting Luongo if you rip apart the current roster to accomplish it, it makes the move counter prodcutive.

Jammer, I agree if the Flyers don't have to give up much then they should consider it and get rid of headcase Bryzgalov. The contract length is scary but that's never stop Snider or Holmgren before. If anything it's signalled to Bryzgalov that he better have a better season this year otherwise he'll be kicked to the curb. On a side note, how did your Spitfires make out at the trade deadline, looks like Flyercanuck's Colts are doing well and the great Sudbury Wolves got rid of their top stars for another rebuild!

@BrowntoBure - if Luongo is such a stud and the media (and many hockey people - including, it appears, most of Vancouver) are simply wrong about him, why is it that the Canucks are greasing the skids to get him out of town ASAP?

The Flyers "need" Luongo like Pronger "needs" to track down another puck in the corner.

Not only that, Flyers are then locked in to Luongo for two years LONGER than Bryz.

That said, if the Canucks would take Leighton, Shelley and Lilja for him, I'd kick the tires and be ready to spend a LOT of Comcast's money on two buyouts at the end of the season.

Oh without a doubt it was a panic move. The Old Man, in his true compulsive fashion, took it to the extreme after the loss to Boston. Sure, it was an ugly series for the Flyers; nobody liked it. But there was NO reason to over-react like that. It is quite clear to me the Flyers did a very poor job (if did at all) scouting Bryz; they just wanted a big name and went after that big name at whatever the price possible. They did not bother to spend even 5 minutes trying to look at Bryz' career, his history in the playoffs, undertsand why Bryz was remotely successful in Dave Tippett's system... They did nothing.

Had they have any desire to just seat down, rationally think it through, evaluate all pros and cons, and weigh all their options, they would have recognized that giving Bob reigns to the #1 was a far more superior and rational plan. He may not have turned into Martin Brodeur, but at the very least they would not have chained themselves to the ludicrous, asinine contract, which, by the way, now they are contemplating buying out... Alas, the Flyers did what the Flyers do best - react instead of thinking.

And now, if they decide to trade for Luongo, they would basically acknowedge to the whole world that they *did* panic and screw up. And then, in a few years, when Luongo also falls on his face, they will react again. And then again. And again...

At some point one would think they have learned something. :mellow:

Bob??? I just don't get all the love for Bobrovsky. He was/is average at best.

The difference with Bob was, there was some upside there. He's pretty athletic with good reflexes. If the Flyers could find someone...anyone, that could develop a goalie, Bobrovsky at least had some potential.

Wouldn't it be nice to finally have a goalie that Philly drafted and developed into a real NHL goalie, instead of this annual "sign this guy, he used to be good" method that has left us all wanting for two and a half decades and counting?

Bob??? I just don't get all the love for Bobrovsky. He was/is average at best.

I think the "love" for Bob is the flip side of the disgust for Bryz.

Bob put up some pretty solid numbers in the KHL during the lockout - more consistent than Bryz - and we'll see how he develops in Columbus.

I don't think anyone sees/saw him as the "next Bernie" as much as "better than Bryz."

I don't think anyone sees/saw him as the "next Bernie" as much as "better than Bryz."

I never saw him that way. I saw upside. Elite level reflexes - the best reflexes in the league according to some goalie experts who commented on him.

I think Bob's KHL numbers can be considered very solid indeed. How he fares in Columbus is anybody's guess given the sad state of that franchise, so we may never see him reach that upside. But that doesn't mean the upside is not there, 'cause it clearly is.

I never saw him that way. I saw upside. Elite level reflexes - the best reflexes in the league according to some goalie experts who commented on him.

I think Bob's KHL numbers can be considered very solid indeed. How he fares in Columbus is anybody's guess given the sad state of that franchise, so we may never see him reach that upside. But that doesn't mean the upside is not there, 'cause it clearly is.

I think this is as cogent an analysis as you will find. Well done!

With his KHL numbers, I'd love to see us try to get Bob back. I've said if before, I never thought he got a fair shake last year. I would have let him be starter to see what he's truly made of, rather than give Bryz a lifetime deal.

Hope the new year is being kind to you bro! The Spits made 4 trades at the deadline...the biggest being Tampa's first round pick last year Slater Koekkoek.....a pretty high end talent. We gave up Colorado's 5th round pick Michael Clarke and 2 second round picks one in 2013 and one in 2014. I love the fact we have a wicked prospect like Slater on the team, but don't understand the reasoning. The Spits flat out suck, just a horrible team, we have no chance of winning this year and next year is slim pickins also. I would have kept the picks and begin the whole rebuilding process.

We also got Plymouth center Alex Alerdi....seen him play quite a bit last year and he was impressive. Alexander Khokelavchev also came back from Russia, so we now have a Ko Ko (Alex's nickname) and a Koo Koo (slater's nickname)....ha ha!

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2013/01/10/reports-spits-trade-clarke-for-koekkoek/

• 2 weeks later...

Some people in here really have no friggen clue what they are talking about. Luongo was never benched in Boston, he got pulled once. He also had two shutouts and was arguably the only reason they were in the series. Luongo is better than Bryz, always has been and it's not even up for debate. I understand you guys probably don't see him play too much but come on.

• Like 1

Some people in here really have no friggen clue what they are talking about. Luongo was never benched in Boston, he got pulled once. He also had two shutouts and was arguably the only reason they were in the series. Luongo is better than Bryz, always has been and it's not even up for debate. I understand you guys probably don't see him play too much but come on.

Coincidentally, having given Luongo the C and a giant contract and making him the clear #1 on Vancouver, they can't run him out of town on a rail fast enough.

He may in fact be better than Bryzgalov, but quite frankly he hasn't won a Cup or a Vezina and at the end of the day, I don't want either of them any more than someone in Vancouver does.