Should Flyers Target Wade Redden?

Guest brelic

Now, before you go all ballistic on me, hear me out!!

What if we took Redden off the Rangers hands? They would have to give us something else to take that contract away from them, like a prospect or a draft pick, because they have no plans for him, and can no longer bury his contract in the minors.

What if we took him and his $6.5M cap hit. For this year, he basically sucks up Pronger's LTIR money and a little more. Next year, he replaces Kimmo's $6.3M value, and then he's a UFA.

Maybe force the Rags to take back Shelley and Lilja.

If the Flyers could make it work cap-wise without affecting our chances to re-sign Giroux, I'd do it. The guy is only 35, and has NHL skills. He could definitely help out the Flyers blueline.

That only works if Redden (the tinman) is able to go see the Wizard of Oz and get a heart....We are rid of Shelley and Lilja at the end of this shortened season anyhow. IF...and this would be a big IF, Redden could somehow find his game or at least something that resembled his former playing self it might be worth it but it is a huge gamble.

• Like 2

Who do you play Redden in front of?

I see no reason to help out the Rangers by taking the $6.5M cap hit off their hands. If Redden had ANYTHING to give, the Rags would have already kicked the tires.

You get out from under Shelley/Lilja without this move and I'd rather keep the flexibility and ability to sign/trade for a better, proven Dman with Timo's money.

That only works if Redden (the tinman) is able to go see the Wizard of Oz and get a heart....We are rid of Shelley and Lilja at the end of this shortened season anyhow. IF...and this would be a big IF, Redden could somehow find his game or at least something that resembled his former playing self it might be worth it but it is a huge gamble.

I hear ya... but he would instantly be a top 4 guy, and it's just a 2 year commitment maximum which wouldn't cost us any (good) players.

Timo/Coburn

Meszaros/Redden

Grossman/Schenn

I like the looks of that, honestly.

What if we took Redden off the Rangers hands? They would have to give us something else to take that contract away from them, like a prospect or a draft pick, because they have no plans for him, and can no longer bury his contract in the minors.

What if we took him and his $6.5M cap hit. For this year, he basically sucks up Pronger's LTIR money and a little more. Next year, he replaces Kimmo's $6.3M value, and then he's a UFA.

If the Flyers could make it work cap-wise without affecting our chances to re-sign Giroux, I'd do it. The guy is only 35, and has NHL skills. He could definitely help out the Flyers blueline.

(Not sure if serious) What about inquiring about Yashin?

Who do you play Redden in front of?

I see no reason to help out the Rangers by taking the $6.5M cap hit off their hands. If Redden had ANYTHING to give, the Rags would have already kicked the tires.

You get out from under Shelley/Lilja without this move and I'd rather keep the flexibility and ability to sign/trade for a better, proven Dman with Timo's money.

The Rangers will get out of it anyway. They'll either buy him out or trade him to another team. I'm just thinking in terms of our needs.

The problem with signing a better d-man, as we have seen, is that everybody else wants one too. There's no guarantee we'll get any sort of upgrade to Timonen, should he retire. And if he re-signs for one year with us, I'm sure we can get him for $2-3M.

Redden for two years is better for the team than Shelley and Lilja for one year. They contribute absolutely NOTHING to this squad while eating up cap space.

It'll probably never happen, but I would certainly entertain the idea if the Rangers were game.

Here's a partial list of 2013 UFA defensemen. Out of that list, the only interesting one, other than Timonen, is Regehr. Edler will not be available...

Timonen, Kimmo » D PHI 37 $6,333,333 2013 (UFA)

Visnovsky, Lubomir » D NYI 36 $5,600,000 2013 (UFA)

Gonchar, Sergei » D OTT 38 $5,500,000 2013 (UFA)

Hainsey, Ron » D WIN 31 $4,500,000 2013 (UFA)

Streit, Mark » D NYI 35 $4,100,000 2013 (UFA)

Regehr, Robyn » D BUF 32 $4,020,000 2013 (UFA)

Whitney, Ryan » D EDM 29 $4,000,000 2013 (UFA)

Zidlicky, Marek » D NJD 35 $4,000,000 2013 (UFA)

Hamrlik, Roman » D WAS 38 $3,500,000 2013 (UFA)

Scuderi, Rob » D LAK 34 $3,400,000 2013 (UFA)

Edler, Alexander » D VAN 26 $3,250,000 2013 (UFA)

Lydman, Toni » D ANA 35 $3,000,000 2013 (UFA)

Leopold, Jordan » D BUF 32 $3,000,000 2013 (UFA)

White, Ian » D DET 28 $2,875,000 2013 (UFA)

Poti, Tom » D WAS 35 $2,875,000 2013 (UFA)

Babchuk, Anton » D CGY 28 $2,500,000 2013 (UFA)

Murray, Douglas » D SAN 32 $2,500,000 2013 (UFA)

Ference, Andrew » D BOS 33 $2,250,000 2013 (UFA)

Smid, Ladislav » D EDM 26 $2,250,000 2013 (UFA)

Aucoin, Adrian » D CLB 39 $2,250,000 2013 (UFA)

Corvo, Joe » D CAR 35 $2,000,000 2013 (UFA)

Rozsival, Michal » D CHI 34 $2,000,000 2013 (UFA)

Pardy, Adam » D BUF 28 $2,000,000 2013 (UFA)

O'Byrne, Ryan » D COL 28 $1,800,000 2013 (UFA)

Sutton, Andy » D EDM 37 $1,750,000 2013 (UFA)

Walker, Matt » D PHI 32 $1,700,000 2013 (UFA)

Erskine, John » D WAS 32 $1,500,000 2013 (UFA)

• Like 1

If the something else they give us is names Lundqvist, I'm on board. And we give them Bryz and Shelley. Make it happen Homer.

I hear ya... but he would instantly be a top 4 guy, and it's just a 2 year commitment maximum which wouldn't cost us any (good) players.

Timo/Coburn

Meszaros/Redden

Grossman/Schenn

I like the looks of that, honestly.

If Redden can't even crack the Top 6 in New York, why is he "instantly" a Top 4 guy in Philly?

Brelic, it's at least thinking outside of the box, I'll give you that.

I don't do this for a couple of reasons. One is because the Rangers are flat out stuck at the moment, and I don't go out of my way to help them. But more importantly: Wade Redden couldn't make the RANGERS because of lack of heart. The Rangers. It's like not making the convent because you're NOT having enough sex. I mean, we're talking about a team where, traditionally, lack of heart is the norm. So if you don't even have enough heart to fit in with a heartless Rangers team, it's pretty bad.

My guess is that he actually wasn't all that good even when he was with the Sens and benefitted from playing with Chara. You put him on the top four in Philly and you just might get him shot. Come to think of it, the Rags might have Mogilnied him more as a witness protection-type thing than anything else.

I get that you're trying to come up with something--anything--to help this D corps. I suspect we're about to waste yet another season because our goalie will be iffy and our defense simply isn't championship quality. So i get trying to do something..even something that is an extreme gamble.

I just don't think this (Redden) has any chance of working out well.

I get that you're trying to come up with something--anything--to help this D corps. I suspect we're about to waste yet another season because our goalie will be iffy and our defense simply isn't championship quality. So i get trying to do something..even something that is an extreme gamble.

I do think that the defense - especially given the half season - is vastly improved over last season. Yes, the loss of Carle takes some away from the O part of the game, but I think that overall on the D side things are better.

If Redden can't even crack the Top 6 in New York, why is he "instantly" a Top 4 guy in Philly?

Well, I don't know if it's as simple as him not being able to crack the top 6 in NY. Wasn't it also/more related to his salary and the Rags trying to make space for someone else? Gaborik, maybe? I can't remember the discussions at the time.

Brelic, it's at least thinking outside of the box, I'll give you that.

I don't do this for a couple of reasons. One is because the Rangers are flat out stuck at the moment, and I don't go out of my way to help them. But more importantly: Wade Redden couldn't make the RANGERS because of lack of heart. The Rangers. It's like not making the convent because you're NOT having enough sex. I mean, we're talking about a team where, traditionally, lack of heart is the norm. So if you don't even have enough heart to fit in with a heartless Rangers team, it's pretty bad.

My guess is that he actually wasn't all that good even when he was with the Sens and benefitted from playing with Chara. You put him on the top four in Philly and you just might get him shot. Come to think of it, the Rags might have Mogilnied him more as a witness protection-type thing than anything else.

Hmm, I didn't watch him play in NY so don't remember all the details. But I did watch him quite a bit in Ottawa - I was living there at the time and went to every home game. He was very good. Maybe, as you say, it was a result of playing with Chara. But the guy was a top tier defenseman in the league for a number of years.

If he's suffering from Carteritis, then yeah, probably not the kind of guy we want.

Hmm, I didn't watch him play in NY so don't remember all the details. But I did watch him quite a bit in Ottawa - I was living there at the time and went to every home game. He was very good. Maybe, as you say, it was a result of playing with Chara. But the guy was a top tier defenseman in the league for a number of years.

If he's suffering from Carteritis, then yeah, probably not the kind of guy we want.

He hasn't ever done anything without Chara is the problem. He was signed as a big impact guy and fell flat on his face. He was a perrennial 40-point player for the Sens, but put up 26 in 82 and then 14 in 75 for the Rags.

FWIW, his 14 in 75 games number came in Gaborik's first season with the Rags.

I stick the Rags with this $5.6M problem (pardon earlier dyslexia).

I generally agree, except for this part. This was the Rangers' stigma until the last couple of years. This particular squad is far from heartless. Callahan, Brad Richards, Stepan, Girardi, McDonough, Staal... and I am sure I am missing some others. Those are the players who brought just that: character and heart to their roster.

• Like 3