Should Flyers Target Wade Redden?

Guest brelic

I generally agree, except for this part. This was the Rangers' stigma until the last couple of years. This particular squad is far from heartless. Callahan, Brad Richards, Stepan, Girardi, McDonough, Staal... and I am sure I am missing some others. Those are the players who brought just that: character and heart to their roster.

Oh, I agree with you here. My "traditionally" was an attempt at a head nod at this, but I don't think it came across very well. When Redden came they had a couple years of no heart. Last year certainly and maybe the year before they seemed to do better with this. But by then they had contracts that would have prevented bringing Redden's contract back even if he was "rehabilitated." I suppose this last part might be the reason to gamble on him: maybe he's rehabilitated and willing to play but can't because of Ranger cap issues. Maybe. I'm betting on that he's still Nedved.

I generally agree, except for this part. This was the Rangers' stigma until the last couple of years. This particular squad is far from heartless. Callahan, Brad Richards, Stepan, Girardi, McDonough, Staal... and I am sure I am missing some others. Those are the players who brought just that: character and heart to their roster.

Not to nitpick, of course their Vezina winning goalie has tremendous heart and soul as well.

What if we just let the Rangers buy him out with this new Rule and offered him a much smaller contract as a F/A?

I like that a lot better because let's face it. If the Rangers don't want his contract, neither do we.

What if we took Redden off the Rangers hands?

Usually the Flyers like to offer all the big contracts.

If we win the cup or if we don't buy Bryz is brilliant anyway, none of this happens.

If Bryz isn't utterly brilliant and awesome he gets bought out and we might go for Luongo and or Redden. I could actually see that. Redden is a little skinnier than we like our D-Men (weighs less than Timmo at 4" taller) but with Timmo nearing his contract and Carle out the door, we could use him.

Damn, letting Carle go seems dumber than hell now that the whole Weber thing fell apart.

If this team had Bryz, Luongo and Redden, and their stupid contracts, I'd prefer the lockout.

LOL, good point! But you gotta admit, it's the Flyers M.O.!

Damn, letting Carle go seems dumber than hell now that the whole Weber thing fell apart.

Hard to believe the strategy of "wait here, we're going to offer someone we want more a lot more money than you and if they don't take it, we'll ask you to take less 'out of loyalty'" didn't work out for them...

My only consolation is that we probably bankrupted Nashville in the process. You're Welcome Quebec or Kansas City!!!

Hard to believe the strategy of "wait here, we're going to offer someone we want more a lot more money than you and if they don't take it, we'll ask you to take less 'out of loyalty'" didn't work out for them...

My only consolation is that we probably bankrupted Nashville in the process. You're Welcome Quebec or Kansas City!!!

I'll take that bet. Amortized over the term of the deal, financed by their billionaire investor(s) the cost isn't all that great. If they had to pay it out of team revenues, that's one thing. As it is, they showed real commitment to what is, by most all accounts, a sizeable, growing and somewhat knowledgeable and rabid fanbase. That's a good thing.

Look for Les Vestes Bleu to leave Columbus and the Coyotes to be the next Seattle Millionaires (an historic name which I do not believe will be brought back...)

@radoran The one minority owner they brought on a few years ago (forget his name), makes it virtually impossible to bankrupt that team. Deep, deep pockets on that guy.....and he is motivated to win. It's one thing to have money, it's another to behave like a fan and come to the teams rescue when they need it to get better....kinda like Mike Illitch in baseball with my Tigers or the Wings before the salary cap.

@radoran The one minority owner they brought on a few years ago (forget his name), makes it virtually impossible to bankrupt that team. Deep, deep pockets on that guy.....and he is motivated to win. It's one thing to have money, it's another to behave like a fan and come to the teams rescue when they need it to get better....kinda like Mike Illitch in baseball with my Tigers or the Wings before the salary cap.

Or the Pegasaurus in Buffalo.

Again, I say just remove some zeroes. If you have $100,000 and need to spend $2,600 on an investment in your business that you fully expect will be an important part of growing your business for the next decade, $2,600 doesn't seem like a whole lot of money.

That's equivalent to a guy with $1,000,000,000 having to pay out $26,000,000 in the same circumstances.

Yes, it would "bankrupt" Nashville to have to pay that $26,000,000 in one year out of earned annual revenue. But that's not how it works.