Possible Defense Addition

Guest DaGreatGazoo

Anybody got scoop on this guy? I looked up the stats, not much to go on there...

By ROB PARENT

rparent@delcotimes.com

@ReluctantSE

As soon as they are allowed to address their shortcomings, a source says the Flyers will try to take a first step toward improving their most immediate need — defensive depth.

The Daily Times has learned the Flyers could make an offer to unrestricted free agent defenseman Kurtis Foster prior to the Jan. 19 start of the season.

Foster, 31, is an attractive option for a team that needs a physical presence and power play help along the back line.

At 6-foot-5 and 225 pounds, Foster offers a right-handed shot that the Flyers need for their second power play unit.

The book on Foster is that his effective shot from the point has become his best attribute. A broken left femur he suffered while playing with the Minnesota Wild in 2008 has slowed his skating and limited the way he uses his body to physical effect.

That said, he is big, experienced and has a reputation as a true asset in the locker room.

Foster has been well traveled of late. Last season, he played for the Ducks, Devils and Wild (a second career stint with them).

In 382 career games with six teams, Foster has 41 goals and 114 points, and while his numbers have declined the past couple of seasons, he looked good playing in Finland during the lockout, registering three goals and three assists and racking up 78 penalty minutes in 13 games for Tappara.

Foster made $1.8 million last season, and could easily fit with the Flyers, who will have about $2.75 million in cap space if and when the CBA is finally approved this weekend and business both on the ice and in the executive offices can return to normal.

I remember people on the old Philly forums being kind of high on him. I wouldn't mind taking the chance but wouldn't want him to turn into another Walker and just be unused. I'd love if he turned out to have a good defensive impact, but speed on the blue line is lacking. Plus I hate having to play with such slow defenders in the NHL games.

I thought Foster was someone they should have had an eye on. Not sure where/if he fits now.

Kind of a poor man's Matt Carle on O with a bit more of a physical presence defensively.

I'd drop Gervais/Lilja in a heartbeat.

One year deal and he could show something in a shortened season.

@Podein25 That's what I remember also, a wicked cannon from the point. A little on the slow side, but he would address an immediate need, help on the second pp unit and a touch of physicality. I'd be ok with this, as long as he does not cost to much. If he's a UFA still hanging around out there, I'd imagine he would come pretty cheap.