Stars vs Flyers - 12/21/2011

Guest Digityman

Introducing - 3 Stars / 3 Goats

At the end of each game, reply to the game thread with your 3 stars and 3 goats for the game.

For example - Last game (Avs) for me was:

3 Stars

1) Voracek

2) Coburn

3) Read

3 Goats

1) Briere

2) JVR - find Bryz and come out of the woods

3) Bryz? just because.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Barring any last-minute setbacks, Giroux appears ready to rejoin the Art Ross Trophy chase tonight against the Stars.

It has been only 11 days since Giroux suffered his second career concussion on Dec. 10, but Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren revealed yesterday that his star player was cleared for all full-contact activities on Saturday. Officially, Giroux' status changed from "out indefinitely" to "day-to-day."

In an hourlong practice yesterday at American Airlines Center, Giroux skated in a full-contact practice and resumed his place between Scott Hartnell and Jaromir Jagr on the first line and his regular spot on the power play.

It was the third day in a row Giroux skated in a full practice and reported no ill effects. Yesterday was also the first time Giroux absorbed a true hockey hit.

"I felt good," said Giroux, who was hurt when he was accidentally kneed in the head by teammate Wayne Simmonds. "It's pretty much the same [as before]. I went in the corners with 'Coby' [braydon Coburn] and told him to hit me a little bit. And that felt pretty good, too."

Another player who figures to return to the lineup tonight against the Stars is defenseman Andreas Lilja, who has not played since Nov. 25 because of a high-ankle sprain.
After the Flyers dropped a point Monday night against the Avalanche in the shootout, Laviolette was asked about his team's struggles in the shootout. The Flyers are now 0-2 this season and 19-36 all-time (34.5 percent) since 2005, the worst win percentage among all 30 teams.

He was also asked why Jaromir Jagr, the NHL's active leader in goals with 656, was left on the bench for the second straight shootout.

"I think a player's comfort level with doing it plays into it, with what we see in practice, their history throughout the course of their career," Laviolette said. "We have conversations with all of our players and find out what they're comfortable doing. That's not to say he wasn't going to be on the docket somewhere."

Jagr's numbers in the shootout aren't pretty. Among the Flyers who have taken at least six career attempts, Jagr ranks last (behind defenseman Kimmo Timonen) with a 22.7 percent success rate. He is 5-for-22

FRANK SERAVALLI

The Dallas game tonight is pretty big. They're tops in the Pacific Division, sitting on 39 points. Not a crazy-high scoring team with 85 GF but they only have 89 GA, but a tough opponent, especially at home.

We need to get these two points to keep up with the Rangers, Caps, and Pittsburgh who all won last night. Heck even the Islanders managed to beat Winnipeg. Something I'm still waiting for the Flyers to do. Those points would have come in handy considering how close the standings are in the Eastern Conf -- only a 10 point difference between the 1st and 11th placed teams.

Bob is in goal.

I'm surprised actually, Bryz played well on Monday. Other than the comments made after the game about not liking the shootout....??

Bob needs games too to stay sharp. If Bryz gets too many games, the next excuse will be he's tired that's why he can't stop pucks.

Briere got the game tying goal to earn a point, got his shootout chance in and you call him a goat?!?

Read was a -1 and missed clanked his chance in the shootout and you have him as a star?!?

I am really confused by your rating system.

Briere got the game tying goal to earn a point, got his shootout chance in and you call him a goat?!?

Read was a -1 and missed clanked his chance in the shootout and you have him as a star?!?

I am really confused by your rating system.

Simmonds was credited but still. With Pronger and Giroux out he and Timo should be carrying this team. Briere's man scored their 1st (maybe 2nd) because he was being lazy. He has another gear or two and it's just not there right now. Thus, goat.

Read has been so consistent at both ends..power Play, PK... I also don't think Lavy should have picked him for the shootout so I don't blame that on him. He's a rookie shooting the 3rd with the game on the line? Who would you have chose?

Nice win from what i saw (last half of the game). Giroux looked like he missed one day. Jagr was happy Claude was back. Bob looked like a real goalie. The team looked good. Great quote from Giroux, something about hockey being about having fun and making sure the other team hates you. That's awesome!

Big win. They played really well tonight. Sure am glad they started Bob - he looked sharp. He was sharp. I wonder what he and Bryz were talking about on the ice right after the game.

Good game, but you are going back to the bench. My contract is so humongous big. Why you hef to be mad?

best quote I've heard in a long time from any of the Flyers. "...that's when hockey's great.. you know you're having fun and you make sure the other team hates you" - beautiful!

I only saw the 3rd but the team had a lot of jump; they looked real good. Bob wasn't pressed much in the final 20 but he made all the plays he was supposed to, which was nice to see (for a change).

omg Ott deserved a beatdown, and there were a FEW Flyers trying to go with him. Pushing/blocking a coach? What a punk.

Yeah. Unfortunately it looks like it will have to wait until next season. I was really hoping we'd play them at home in Philly. But not this season. It needs to be addressed. Ott may have just topped Avery as the biggest punk in need of a severe beatdown on my list -- but still behind Bettman, Cambell, and most of the officiating corps. And then you have Colin Cambell saying these off-ice incidents need to be reviewed. Sounds like an impending fine.

A player throwing elbows at a coach is unacceptable. Gulutzan should bench Ott for a game so the league doesn't have to.

If Lavy didn't mention it to his players, I doubt they would have much opportunity to learn about the incident until after the game. Maybe they'll get a chance to straighten Ott out this post-season. But I'd rather the Stars not make the playoffs at all, now.

Those who don't show respect, don't deserve respect. Ott's mom must be a real low life coont to raise such a prick.