B Schenn on the top line?

Guest JackStraw

It's just camp lines for now @JackStraw. He has to win it still by the sounds of it. Good to let Jake know that he has to earn it though.

I hope Schenn stays though - I drafted him probably earlier than I needed to.

I know, but I assumed he'd be 3rd line with Jake and Simmonds competing for the 1st line RW. He still has to win it but it sounds like they're impressed with him. He'd bring toughness along with skill which would be nice alongside Giroux.

• Like 2

I know, but I assumed he'd be 3rd line with Jake and Simmonds competing for the 1st line RW. He still has to win it but it sounds like they're impressed with him. He'd bring toughness along with skill which would be nice alongside Giroux

Agreed. I guess I'm not as surprised. Schenn was the top prospect. He's got more game than both Jake and Simmonds. And it looks like he is fine with becoming a winger, which is fine with me too. We got more centers than Carter's got tips frosted.

Anxious to see what Schenn can do with a fresh season (plus having a leg up on many other players by playing in the A during the lockout). He got a little shortchanged last year.

Jake is a guy I really like too. Smart defensively, and has Forbergian vision when it comes to passing. It's his linemates who can't quite figure out what's going on. I think paired with Briere and Read, that could make for a wickedly fast forward line. A little short on toughness, but that's why we have Simmonds/Coots/Feds, and Rinaldo/Talbot/Whoever to round us out. I see Talbot moving up and down the lineup (and across) as needed.

Because it's been a few years, I think a lot of people forget just how dominant Schenn was among his piers during the World Juniors a few years ago. He was WAY more dominant than Nugent-Hopkins was, even though he had a full year of the NHL under his belt. He has not had a smooth transition to the NHL, which is totally normal. A lot of it was being hampered by injuries, plus catching up to the actual speed of the game and how to anticipate at this level. I think his stick skills and creativity are underrated because he's so tenacious and physical. He was the number one ranked youngster in McKeens magazine for a reason (a lofty and highly regarded honour in my books anyway)...because he is a special blend of skill and toughness....that will show through loud and clear in the coming season.

And yeah, I know starring at at the WJC is not a guarantee of NHL stardom, but I know what I saw from this kid with my own eyes, when he "get's it" at the NHL level, watch out!